collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tourists at Villa Park  (Read 12281 times)

Offline willywombat

Re: Tourists at Villa Park
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2013, 07:58:54 AM »
[
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 08:04:19 AM by willywombat »

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2013, 08:11:49 AM »
Let's be honest - they're not here to see the Villa. They're here to watch what they doubtless call the EPL.

They wouldn't have seen much of that at Villa Park this season.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2013, 08:26:05 AM »
The more the merrier if they're spending money with us.
They should be made to feel welcome as well, the Italians have always been friendly to us when i've gone to Roma, Atalanta and Genoa.

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2013, 08:27:11 AM »
Tourists or empty seats, what would you rather look at?

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2013, 08:36:31 AM »
Lots of Italian football fans also follow an English team. I've got quite a few mates here who at one time or another have been over to watch an English top-flight game. They take football, its history and culture seriously over here.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2013, 08:38:42 AM »
My French girlfriend is coming to a match for the first time on Mar 16th, QPR (h). Could be make or break. For the season and her continuing any interest in Villa!

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2013, 08:52:59 AM »
I am intrigued that this topic has come up at this time.
This week, I travelled to Stockholm for a few days' work in Sweden. Getting a flight from Manchester on Monday morning I was - frankly - amazed at the  number of ManUre fans travelling back to Scandanavia. I would say that at least four flights to Scandi destinations were full and there was also a flight to Tel Aviv with a lot of red-wearing travellers. The airport was heaving with people.

I was quite shocked and amazed, actually.

So, this thread gives me some comfort that we are at least drawing in some tourists despite our parlous league performance over the last three years.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2013, 09:14:25 AM »
Let's be honest - they're not here to see the Villa. They're here to watch what they doubtless call the EPL.
But they are choosing to watch it at Villa Park, one of the best football stadiums in the country dave, so at least we get the ticket money and it's also good if they decide to spend in the club shop.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2013, 09:40:37 AM »

And what's wrong with that ?

Why does someone have to be a fan of one of the teams playing to watch a game ?

I quite happily sat in the stands watching Seattle Sounders @ Chicago Fire, with absolutely no interest in who won the game.

Likewise, I've been to hundreds of baseball games where it made no difference to me who won and who lost.

To me, attending a game with no rooting interest is no different to watching some random game on TV (eg my watching of Donetsk v Dortmund last night).

Thinking about it, having no loyalty to a particular team is probably a far more enjoyable, and certainly a far less stressful, way of watching sport.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2013, 09:45:53 AM »
It's certainly one of the reasons I love watching rugby union so much and often more than the football - there's no decent rugby club from Birmingham and I can watch it totally stress free and appreciate the skill much more from both sides. The only thing I have missed since giving up Sky Sports has been the live premiership rugby

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »
I reckon the most awe inspiring view of Villa Park is from the Aston Expressway on the way in to the city centre.

I worked in the city centre for a few years, and drove past it every morning, and every single time, back then, and even now, I couldn't resist a long look at it.

If you drive past during the night, on the way to a night match, it looks even more impressive, all lit up. I always think that away fans, coming off the M6 and in towards the ground, must see it and think they're seeing a real institution on their way into the city.

Excellent post as ever Paulie. I feel the same way and have never ever lost that thrill of seeing Villa Park past the church for the first time whenever I return to Brum. I remember the first time I took my two daughters to a game a few years back and having a competition to see which of them could be the first to spot the stadium and they were so made up when they saw it. I love the walk beneath the underpass too and that sight you have of the road dividing in two, the Holte pub and the massive Holte end behind it. I think that is very iconic and not surpassed at too many other stadia around the country, certainly not in my experience

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2013, 10:00:51 AM »
Not a comment from a tourist but I was talking with a Bradford fan last night who I only know in passing and his comment to me was "what a great stadium Villa Park is, still felt like a traditional football ground, inhabited by passionate and knowledgeable football fans". Thought I would pass that on!

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2013, 10:42:25 AM »
I reckon the most awe inspiring view of Villa Park is from the Aston Expressway on the way in to the city centre.

I worked in the city centre for a few years, and drove past it every morning, and every single time, back then, and even now, I couldn't resist a long look at it.

If you drive past during the night, on the way to a night match, it looks even more impressive, all lit up. I always think that away fans, coming off the M6 and in towards the ground, must see it and think they're seeing a real institution on their way into the city.

Excellent post as ever Paulie. I feel the same way and have never ever lost that thrill of seeing Villa Park past the church for the first time whenever I return to Brum. I remember the first time I took my two daughters to a game a few years back and having a competition to see which of them could be the first to spot the stadium and they were so made up when they saw it. I love the walk beneath the underpass too and that sight you have of the road dividing in two, the Holte pub and the massive Holte end behind it. I think that is very iconic and not surpassed at too many other stadia around the country, certainly not in my experience

Agreed. We drove past it a few times last weekend on my trip over. It just looked incredible.

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2013, 11:11:17 AM »
At Stamford Bridge, for example, you see huge numbers of foreign visitors with their brand new shirts and bags of club merchandise, and there are always at least 20 coaches from Holland and Belgium parked outside the ground. We're never going to attract that sort of interest, especially from the glory-hunting types of fans.
The foreign support we do have is, for the most part, loyal and committed. I've written more than once in H&V about my connection with the German Villans, who come to home and away games regularly and will continue to do so, whichever league we end up in. Archie from the Latin Lions is a regular contributor to this website and his members are passionate Villa supporters. A group of us, including John Gregory, Rob Bishop and Alan Perrins, are attending their annual reunion in Padua later in the season and the restaurant will be filled with claret and blue and much noise. Those of you with a strong constititution have taken part in and perhaps survived the notorious visits of Edvard and his Faroese Lions. Our fans from Sweden, Norway, Belgium and Ireland come to Villa Park several times a season.
We're not a global brand, which may or may not be a good thing, but what it does mean is that our foreign supporters have deliberately chosen us rather than just jumping on the latest bandwagon. They care about Villa and suffer when we suffer. They love coming to Villa Park and we should welcome them and appreciate their loyalty.

Offline Chris Stares

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2013, 12:11:28 PM »
At Stamford Bridge, for example, you see huge numbers of foreign visitors with their brand new shirts and bags of club merchandise, and there are always at least 20 coaches from Holland and Belgium parked outside the ground. We're never going to attract that sort of interest, especially from the glory-hunting types of fans.
The foreign support we do have is, for the most part, loyal and committed. I've written more than once in H&V about my connection with the German Villans, who come to home and away games regularly and will continue to do so, whichever league we end up in. Archie from the Latin Lions is a regular contributor to this website and his members are passionate Villa supporters. A group of us, including John Gregory, Rob Bishop and Alan Perrins, are attending their annual reunion in Padua later in the season and the restaurant will be filled with claret and blue and much noise. Those of you with a strong constititution have taken part in and perhaps survived the notorious visits of Edvard and his Faroese Lions. Our fans from Sweden, Norway, Belgium and Ireland come to Villa Park several times a season.
We're not a global brand, which may or may not be a good thing, but what it does mean is that our foreign supporters have deliberately chosen us rather than just jumping on the latest bandwagon. They care about Villa and suffer when we suffer. They love coming to Villa Park and we should welcome them and appreciate their loyalty.
Top post frank.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal