collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Mistakes  (Read 8950 times)

Offline Pat McMahon

Re: Mistakes
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2013, 12:11:39 AM »
I think the managerial mistakes started when MON was still in charge. Word of disagreements had been going around for at least six months so maybe early pre-season was the time to back him or sack him rather than let him dictate the timing. Then we enforced a moral code on ourselves about not approaching an in work manager. The only other team to have done that was Small Heath and that was to avoid compensation. Then a manager with a history of health problems who had been out of both English football and club football for a while. Then a recently relegated manger with other negative issues involved. Then not backing your so called long term appointment in the urgent short term. Mistakes? Yes, one or two little ones.

What was also strange about Houllier was the insistence of the board on finding a manager who had Premier League experience.

Swansea and Brian Laudrup have shown that to be brilliant strategic thinking this season.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2013, 08:13:44 AM »
So, he didn't actually ask for Ferguson's opinion before appointing McLeish? The letter came afterwards from Taggart. Not quite as bad as asking him for advice during the selection process. Though, that too may have happened I guess.
The belief is that they were impressed by McCatpiss's demeanour and friendliness after the 5-1 hiding we inflicted on him, he was quite genial where as most Managers would have fucked off straight after the game or sulked.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2013, 08:18:56 AM »
Funny, I got a mental image of Sid vicious in a white blazer and black leather pants shooting a pistol at the audience when I saw this thread title!

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2013, 08:41:14 AM »
So, he didn't actually ask for Ferguson's opinion before appointing McLeish? The letter came afterwards from Taggart. Not quite as bad as asking him for advice during the selection process. Though, that too may have happened I guess.
The belief is that they were impressed by McCatpiss's demeanour and friendliness after the 5-1 hiding we inflicted on him, he was quite genial where as most Managers would have fucked off straight after the game or sulked.

Would the likes of SAF have been like that after a 5-1 defeat?  For all his faults, MON got the team winning games and I've heard you had to give him a wide berth for a couple of days after we lost.  I think part of being a good manager is being a sore loser.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 08:45:57 AM by Concrete John »

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2013, 08:49:26 AM »
I can't remember if it was The General or Carbon Neutral that mentioned about how they were iimpressed with him after the 5-1 drubbing.
Maybe somebody else can remember it?

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2013, 09:42:59 AM »
I can't remember if it was The General or Carbon Neutral that mentioned about how they were iimpressed with him after the 5-1 drubbing.
Maybe somebody else can remember it?

The signs were there then.

Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2013, 04:48:25 PM »
I could never understand how a man who took on the might of the old firm and europe with Aberdeen as a player with great success was so happy to accept defeat to 'bigger sides'.

As for Pat McMahon's point about the board and Houllier, I can never understand why they make early public statements on the managerial search which potentially paints themselves into a corner.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal