collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Mistakes  (Read 8949 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Mistakes
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2013, 01:02:21 PM »
Don't use a letter from a red nosed couldn't give a shit about us as some kind of mandate for a decision of managerial choice.  And certainly don't go telling everybody about the letter.

yeh, that was really, really bad. Kind of crawl under the desk in shame bad. One of those "please fucking tell me you didn't just say that" moments.

particularly the bit where he went on to say he kept it under lock and key, he considered it so precious.

That was truly toe-curling.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2013, 01:11:20 PM »
Don't use a letter from a red nosed couldn't give a shit about us as some kind of mandate for a decision of managerial choice.  And certainly don't go telling everybody about the letter.

yeh, that was really, really bad. Kind of crawl under the desk in shame bad. One of those "please fucking tell me you didn't just say that" moments.

particularly the bit where he went on to say he kept it under lock and key, he considered it so precious.

And said that he got it out of the safe every so often to read it.

It actually made him come across as a spotty, love sick 14 year old.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2013, 01:21:19 PM »

I imagine he keeps it safe next to the signed picture of him with Justin Bieber. Not good.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2013, 01:24:44 PM »

The actual quote:

"Sir Alex Ferguson wrote to me after the appointment, a proper letter, talking about his feelings about Alex. It was something you don't easily forget and it's now in a safe deposit box. Given what Sir Alex Ferguson means to the game of football, I don't think you could get many things that you would be more proud of, or reflect better on Alex McLeish."

It's bad enough without adding to it.

The worst thing is, it came in a statement stating how TSM had proven their faith in him to be correct and that we'd improve as a club.

The next day we went to tottenham, assumed the postion, and asked them to be gentle - quite possibly the worst performance I've seen from a villa side.  It was only 2-0 but they played like a training game and we might as well have stayed in birmingham for all the intent we had.  Even at our worst under PL I've never seen our players look so devoid of ambition as we were that day.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 01:29:25 PM by paul_e »

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2013, 01:42:57 PM »
If there was one game of ours I'd scrutinse reagrding match fixing, then that Spurs game is it.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2013, 02:15:46 PM »
If there was one game of ours I'd scrutinse reagrding match fixing, then that Spurs game is it.

What about CSKA away ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7900035.stm

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2013, 02:29:22 PM »
Thanks for copying that statement again paul, my toes have curled to such an extent I now look like Ali Baba.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2013, 02:46:34 PM »
Smithers, I'm beginning to think Randy Lerner is not the brilliant tactician I thought he was.

There were warning signs before that, but that sealed it, alright.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2013, 02:48:02 PM »
I'm sure he did an extended interview about the Fergie letter in The Times?

I also heard rumours that he'd had to have the letter laminated to protect it from his endless torrent of man mustard.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2013, 03:42:26 PM »
I think the managerial mistakes started when MON was still in charge. Word of disagreements had been going around for at least six months so maybe early pre-season was the time to back him or sack him rather than let him dictate the timing. Then we enforced a moral code on ourselves about not approaching an in work manager. The only other team to have done that was Small Heath and that was to avoid compensation. Then a manager with a history of health problems who had been out of both English football and club football for a while. Then a recently relegated manger with other negative issues involved. Then not backing your so called long term appointment in the urgent short term. Mistakes? Yes, one or two little ones.

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2013, 03:51:00 PM »
Don't worry-Be happy  8)

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2013, 04:04:47 PM »
Do wah diddy diddy dum diddy do.

Offline edgysatsuma

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2013, 04:27:40 PM »
Listening to fans is a definite no, no. Most are that fickle. Apart from some of you lot that is  ;)

*cough* I talk a lot of shite

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2013, 11:03:02 PM »
So, he didn't actually ask for Ferguson's opinion before appointing McLeish? The letter came afterwards from Taggart. Not quite as bad as asking him for advice during the selection process. Though, that too may have happened I guess.

Offline Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2013, 11:19:39 PM »
With hindsight, the moment that highlighted Randy missing the proverbial point, imo, about the difference betten US/UK football fans was when an ex-US was player was at Villa Park and there were highlights of his career shown on the big screens. From memory, most of the crowd had no idea wtf was going on, but applauded out of politeness.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal