collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: New Shirt Sponsor by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 07:35:56 PM]

Re: New Shirt Sponsor by AV84
[Today at 07:29:21 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by AV84
[Today at 07:28:00 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Toronto Villa
[Today at 07:22:55 PM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Dave
[Today at 07:22:44 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Smirker
[Today at 07:22:25 PM]

Re: New Shirt Sponsor by Somniloquism
[Today at 07:10:10 PM]

Re: New Shirt Sponsor by Si
[Today at 07:09:29 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: R.I.P Steve  (Read 7728 times)

Offline markus209

R.I.P Steve
« on: February 05, 2013, 01:19:37 AM »
A close friend of mine passed away last Monday. Only 21 years of age and seemed as healthy as anyone I know, he suffered from a heart attack and sadly didn't make it.

As I was standing in the graveyard summoning up memories of my childhood friend I found that the ones that stuck most were those relating to watching football. When I moved house with my parents 10 years ago, as any child would be, I was upset at the thought of moving away from all my friends, in particular my best friend Steve. He'd always been bugging me to go to a Villa game with him and so to help soften the blow of moving my Dad started to take me down to the Villa with Steve and his Dad so i could keep in touch easier. My first game was a league cup game against Crystal palace, I remember Angel scoring and winning 3-0. I was hooked.

From that moment on I went to the Villa every other week with my best friend. We couldn't always go because my Dad had lost his job when Rover shut down so the finances weren't there and after those games I'd be jealous as Steve would ring me up to tell me what a cracking game I'd missed. He'd always big it up regardless of the score. He must have attended "the best 0-0 he'd ever seen" at least 3 times a season.

When we were 15, we both got season tickets. Presents form our parents. They couldn't afford it anymore, but had paid for us to sit next to each other. From that point on we renewed every season, I'd stop over his the night before and when we were old enough we had a pre match and post match pint(s). I have really fond memories of the last few years, especially the 2 Wembley trips in O'Neills final year.  I was in a foul mood on the way back from London both times, but he put up with me. "Hey, come on mate, we almost did it. Imagine the party when we do win something."

Mainly because of the cost, most seasons I considered not renewing my season ticket, especially this one after McLeish, and every time Steve kept getting on to me until I gave in. He's to blame for the miserable 90 minutes I often have to endure week in week out (and I never let him forget) but he's also responsible for the fantastic days I've had watching the Villa. Even if the game hasn't been good, the day with my mates always has been and I'd never have had that without him getting me hooked on following the Villa.

With his death, I've come to realise that in persuading me to renew my season ticket year after year, he also had a selfish motive. We had shared the good and bad times together with Villa, fighting relegation and chasing Europe. During the promising times when things were looking up, to make this joy complete he needed his best friend there with him to share the good times. During the bad times he wanted someone there to complain about the manager, players and Villa with. As well as providing me with amazing years of good memories with my best mate, he was doing the same for himself.

My reasons for typing all this out is also pretty selfish, I've been told it's therapeutic to get stuff down in writing and I'm aware this is getting longer than I'd intended. At the moment I'm not sure if I'll be going down again in the near future. £360 is a lot of money to just then pack it in, so I probably will go. Maybe I'll introduce my house-mate to the Villa or start taking my younger brother with me, for the same reasons Steve persuaded me to go, these moments are best shared with somebody else.

As an aside, it reminded me that football should be about joy and sadness, not bitterness and rage that seems to spark between opposing sets of fans and sometimes our own. I know that when Villa play, when they win I want to be celebrating with friends, not getting legless in a pub. When we lose I want to drown my sorrows with my friends or my Dad or my brother, not causing hassle outside the ground. But for the rest of this season there will be an empty seat in the Holte End next to me where Steve should be sitting; reminding me that I should be sharing each moment, good and bad, with him.

R.I.P Steve, Holte Ender in the sky.

Offline regular_john

Re: R.I.P Steve
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 01:48:19 AM »
Really touching. So sorry about your loss mate. RIP.

Offline Hoppo

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 02:05:54 AM »
That post sums it all up for me.. R.I.P. Steve..

Offline spk

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 02:57:47 AM »
Lovely piece mate,so sorry to hear about your oppo.That is so sad.Sounds like he was lucky to have a best mate like you.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 03:31:16 AM »
Very moving piece Markus and I'm sorry to hear about your loss. 

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 04:22:48 AM »
that is really really sad Markus, I'm sorry for your loss and hope Steve rests in peace. Holte Ender In The Sky

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 06:32:05 AM »
What football should be about. RIP mate

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 07:11:16 AM »
That was like reading a good book. An excellent post that brings things into perspective. Sorry to hear of the loss of someone so young.

Offline flybo

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 07:29:46 AM »
R.I.P. Steve

Offline rutski

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 08:03:57 AM »
so young and tragic. rip steve!

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 08:04:48 AM »
that is a very moving piece, RIP Steve

Offline richardhubbard

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 08:28:00 AM »
No age to go RIP

Online tricky dicky

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 08:34:37 AM »
Very moving piece Markus sums it all up for me great tribute to a best mate
RIP Steve

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 08:41:03 AM »
RIP - Holteneender in the Sky

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 08:47:34 AM »
Markus,my condolences to you and to Steve's family. You have written a very touching and poignant tribute to your best friend and as others have said,this sad news puts everything into perspective.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal