collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: whoscored team of the week  (Read 5056 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
whoscored team of the week
« on: February 04, 2013, 05:45:03 PM »
First things first; I'm a big fan for whoscored.com, whilst no statistical analysis is ever going to be perfect they do have a big part to play and this site present the data well and they put a lot of thought into it.

Their team of the week for the weekend is very interesting - Here

Lowton, Clark and Benteke all in there.

No one will be suprised by Benteke, he was immense on saturday and is rightly being praised on here (it's worth having a look through the history of their team of the week, I think him and Van Persie are the most regular strikers).

Clark is the interesting one.  There's a lot of people on here who want him dropped for next week but what did he do wrong, other than get too tight to a very strong forward who outmuscled him.  I totally understand that 1 mistake is 1 too many but the stats show that there is a very good defender in there if he can cut out those errors.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: whoscored team of the week
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 05:57:44 PM »
First things first; I'm a big fan for whoscored.com, whilst no statistical analysis is ever going to be perfect they do have a big part to play and this site present the data well and they put a lot of thought into it.

No one will be suprised by Benteke, he was immense on saturday and is rightly being praised on here (it's worth having a look through the history of their team of the week, I think him and Van Persie are the most regular strikers).

Clark is the interesting one.  There's a lot of people on here who want him dropped for next week but what did he do wrong, other than get too tight to a very strong forward who outmuscled him.  I totally understand that 1 mistake is 1 too many but the stats show that there is a very good defender in there if he can cut out those errors.

I don't understand what their score is based on.  On the same site are the actual game stats:

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/615169/LiveStatistics/England-Premier-League-2012-2013-Everton-Aston-Villa

It shows that he had a lower pass accuracy than any Everton player, and of the Villa players, only Weimann and Sylla had a lower pass accuracy rate.  So given that and the fact that he was completely out muscled for their goal, how on earth was he rated 4th best player on the pitch? 

Offline neo_Villan

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 05:59:55 PM »
As I said on Twitter, Clark making their team of the week just shows how misleading stats can be. Anyone who actually watched the game will testify to how poor he was. Bossed by Anichebe all game.

Offline supertom

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 08:24:28 PM »
Clark was frightening. He's a liability at the moment.

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 08:27:31 PM »
I read this at work earlier and nearly choked on my tea!

I like Clark but we are in danger of ruining the kid, Lambert needs to take him out of the firing line for a few weeks the  bring him back in his correct position which is central midfield.

Offline neo_Villan

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 09:16:19 PM »
The problem is that Clark doesn't feel his best position is in midfield and the manager agrees with him.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 09:29:30 PM »
As I said on Twitter, Clark making their team of the week just shows how misleading stats can be. Anyone who actually watched the game will testify to how poor he was. Bossed by Anichebe all game.

We need the football equivalent of VoRP and WAR in order to analyse the basic stats.

Offline Jockey Randall

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 09:52:03 PM »

I don't understand what their score is based on.  On the same site are the actual game stats:

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/615169/LiveStatistics/England-Premier-League-2012-2013-Everton-Aston-Villa

It shows that he had a lower pass accuracy than any Everton player, and of the Villa players, only Weimann and Sylla had a lower pass accuracy rate.  So given that and the fact that he was completely out muscled for their goal, how on earth was he rated 4th best player on the pitch? 

It must be to do with him having 7 more clearances and 3 more effective clearances than any other Villa player. He was also highest on shots blocked, tackles and offsides won, and only beaten by Lowton on interceptions. So it's basically down to the fact Everton dominated us for most of the match and he had so much to deal with.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 09:54:51 PM by Jockey Randall »

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 12:32:49 AM »

It must be to do with him having 7 more clearances and 3 more effective clearances than any other Villa player. He was also highest on shots blocked, tackles and offsides won, and only beaten by Lowton on interceptions. So it's basically down to the fact Everton dominated us for most of the match and he had so much to deal with.

pretty much.

I posted this mainly because I thought it was interesting, like most I thought he made mistakes at the weekend, but as I say, there's definitely a very good defender in there, just need to cut the errors out of his game and get his confidence up.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 01:29:13 AM »
The problem is that Clark doesn't feel his best position is in midfield

Are you sure?

Offline neo_Villan

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 01:52:20 AM »

Are you sure?
Yeah I remember him saying how previous managers didn't play him at centre-back and he wants to play there etc.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 08:20:09 AM »

Are you sure?
I went to a wedding last summer and was seated next to his agent  - he suggested that if Lambert didn't play Clark at centre half like he wanted then he might consider going somewhere that he could.

Offline Jockey Randall

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 08:46:06 AM »
The thing that Clark and also in this instance Baker have on their side is that they play in a position where experience and knowledge of the game is key. Ideally, at this stage of their careers they would be out on loan in the championship and following a similar path to Gary Cahill. They are both learning the hard way this season and being forced to play as we don't have many options back there and Dunne is still out. I've no doubt though that barring bad injuries and the right development, both can make it as Premier League defenders. I see Clark as having more potential to follow in somone like Cahill's boots though as he seems to have the technical ability to play as a higher level centre half. He just needs game time and a few more years to improve his understanding and reading of the game, the basic tools are there I think.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 10:36:34 AM »

Are you sure?
I went to a wedding last summer and was seated next to his agent  - he suggested that if Lambert didn't play Clark at centre half like he wanted then he might consider going somewhere that he could.

Does such a place exist?

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 12:46:43 PM »
Heh.

"A place where he would be selected at centre half".

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal