collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What System at Corners and Free Kicks?  (Read 6345 times)

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
What System at Corners and Free Kicks?
« on: February 04, 2013, 12:47:26 PM »
Much has been made of our shocking defending at dead ball situations. Is it time to shift to a zonal system?

My gut feeling is that we should

It would give the players less to worry about and they could focus on the ball rather than chasing shadows as they  seem to be right now. The more experienced players, like Sharner  (sp?) the other day and Fellaini on Saturday can pull our lot out of position far too easily.

Offline Mazrim

Re: What System at Corners and Free Kicks?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 01:01:06 PM »
I think both. Each team will usually have one or maybe two players who are the dangermen in the air. Mark them man to man. Then also have players tasked with defending the most dangerous zones.

But really, you can over complicate it. A ball is coming in from the corner. You know exactly where from and more or less where to, so get your fucking bonce on it.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 01:06:46 PM »
To paraphrase Pete Rose...........

"See the ball, head the ball"

Offline danlanza

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 01:09:18 PM »
I think the Hoof it out as quick as possible system would do at the moment. We can then send them to the Defend Properly school in the summer!

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 01:36:52 PM »
We don't seem to put anyone on the posts. Someone (not Bannan) on the near post might have kept out Fellaini.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 01:55:49 PM »
We defended 14 corners well. Mistakes were made in the 15th and they need to be put right but we have to keep the ball better and give much less fouls and corners away.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 02:00:54 PM »
We don't seem to put anyone on the posts. Someone (not Bannan) on the near post might have kept out Fellaini.

The strange thing was that we did have players on both posts for earlier corners.   

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 02:17:14 PM »
I'd be thinking about keeping Benteke on the half way line. 

Firstly, he's no good at defending corners.  But also, would that force them to keep a defender or two, possibly including a big CB, out of our box to help look after him? 

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 02:25:44 PM »
The biggest issue has been Benteke has been given a marking job, usually of a central defender who is used to going to attack the ball. I would have Benteke on the near post/6 year line. His job would be to go and attack the ball. No marking, just go and head the ball away. Everyone else is either on a post or picking up a man. Those who let their man go get shot n the head on the penalty spot in front of the Holte End at the end of the game. We're too nice, time for the players to take some responsibility.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 02:35:19 PM »
It's down to concentration I reckon. As OCD says, we defended 14 successfully but cocked up at the end. That's where experience comes in, somebody to organise and remind people of their jobs. It's uncanny that we've had the same issue under 3 managers but when Dunne and Collins were together, whatever other limitations they might have had, we were solid on set pieces. Having a Carew or Heskey at the front post also helped, as a lot of balls were cut out before they even reached the danger area.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 02:38:42 PM »
We don't have the individual competitiveness to go man-to-man. They have demonstrated some togetherness in the past though, so a more zonal approach would perhaps be better.

The point is that almost nobody does either one or the other. If you put a man on the posts or at the front post, that's zonal. We seem to over-rely on our players' ability to win their duels, which seems insane to me. A few one-on-ones (and Vlaar has to do better in his) but overall we should just look to make sure we've got someone in the right area attacking the ball.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 03:36:37 PM »
I can't quote on the work pc?? Anyway I agree with John about Benteke and I've said it a few times, keep him out of the box as he is shit at defending

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 05:14:48 PM »

Firstly, he's no good at defending corners.  But also, would that force them to keep a defender or two, possibly including a big CB, out of our box to help look after him? 

I must say that at every home game - leave Benteke upfield and Gabby with his pace - as you say the opposition would need to leave 3 or even 4 back to counter the long ball up field - its not rocket science (or pretty but I would take anything right now to stem the goals from cornalities.

It makes me laugh to see our forwards trailing back to our area to defend a corner - they just follow the opposition back. Just stay on the half way line ffs -

Offline PONGO49

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 08:09:53 PM »
defending at corners isn't about what system is used, its about defenders taking responsibility.  Either for the man or the zone that they are responsible for. 

Online ez

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 08:19:17 PM »

I must say that at every home game - leave Benteke upfield and Gabby with his pace - as you say the opposition would need to leave 3 or even 4 back to counter the long ball up field - its not rocket science (or pretty but I would take anything right now to stem the goals from cornalities.

It makes me laugh to see our forwards trailing back to our area to defend a corner - they just follow the opposition back. Just stay on the half way line ffs -
Makes sense although it wouldn't have worked for that last Everton goal. They would have thrown players forward regardless.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal