collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Conceding goals at corners  (Read 7132 times)

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: Conceding goals at corners
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2013, 11:11:51 AM »

An average amount of corners conceded and gained in the league can be found here:
http://www.footstats.co.uk/index.cfm?task=Leagues

Given the fact that people outside of Villa (yes, even Charlie Nicholas) recognise we concede a lot from corners I would imagine we're top on goals conceded from corners? I can't currently find any data on this.

That table is interesting though, the top of the corners for table shows the better teams as you'd expect with all their dominance but then West Ham pop up in 6th above Chelsea and Man Utd. Maybe to do with them being direct and getting a lot of long balls and crosses into the box which cause havoc with Nolan, Cole, Carroll etc? Also, Stoke are lagging way behind any team in corners for, supporting the fact that they are not only poor at keeping possession but don't venture forward as much any of the other teams.

All interesting stuff but regarding us I think it's probably a case of a mixture between the 2 points - that we're not as bad as people think at defending corners because we concede so many, but also that by premier league standards we are a poor side defensively and thus concede from time to time (roughly every 20 corners). Obviously we need to improve at the back but the rest of the team, mainly the midfield, is also part of the problem as we don't keep possession well enough and invite pressure, too much pressure then leads to goals. Unless we can unearth the free agent of the century to play in midfield or Sylla is as good a signing as Benteke was then I think we're relying on getting Dunne fit to plug a hole in the defence. If that doesn't happen the odds of 4/6 to go down look about right to me.

So, if I read it right, only the Boggies and QPR have conceded more corners this season.
We also appear to be top of the fouls table, although I haven't worked out what "profile" means; a stat that determines the position on the table presented. But since we're also top ofthe cards table, I assume that we give away more free kicks than other teams (the Footstats website could do with a little more explanation).

All pretty desperate stuff when viewing the defensive capabilities of the team.

Offline Jockey Randall

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2013, 11:29:51 AM »
So, if I read it right, only the Boggies and QPR have conceded more corners this season.
We also appear to be top of the fouls table, although I haven't worked out what "profile" means; a stat that determines the position on the table presented. But since we're also top ofthe cards table, I assume that we give away more free kicks than other teams (the Footstats website could do with a little more explanation).

All pretty desperate stuff when viewing the defensive capabilities of the team.

I think profile is just a guage of the discrepancy between the 2 stats. It has us down as the least fouled against team and 5th worst at committing them, dirty Allardyce and his prision XI are top of this league. It's no surprise to see Everton as the most fouled team, the home fans there must win them about 5 fouls a game with their constant moaning at decisions.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2013, 11:43:20 AM »
Giving so many fouls away and conceding the fewest is just because we're so shit at keeping hold of the ball. Just about every game we have the least amount of possession and this has largely been the way for a number of years now. Given their resources and the vision they have put in place, I'm really quite envious of what Swansea have managed to achieve.

Offline Jockey Randall

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2013, 11:49:06 AM »
Giving so many fouls away and conceding the fewest is just because we're so shit at keeping hold of the ball. Just about every game we have the least amount of possession and this has largely been the way for a number of years now. Given their resources and the vision they have put in place, I'm really quite envious of what Swansea have managed to achieve.

You're right. On whoscored we're 5th bottom in terms of possession, with only more solid sides defensively below us and Norwich who are probably a lot higher in the league than the quality of their team suggests. It's no wonder they're sinking like a stone now after things went their way earlier in the season.

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2013, 01:38:29 PM »
It's not specifically corners and free kicks we're poor at defending, it's ANY ball into the penalty box!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal