collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Conceding goals at corners  (Read 7136 times)

Offline N'ZMAV

Re: Conceding goals at corners
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 02:15:27 PM »
Kevin Nolan will boss the midfield on Sunday. He's exactly the type we are missing. Puts his foot in. Score goals.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 02:41:53 PM »
What's missing from the original post is the 4 goals conceded from corners against Bradford and the 2 against Millwall.

Offline Trinitymiddle

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 03:06:25 PM »
Another thing we should do is have a man on both posts.
Could have prevented Fellani's second on Saturday.

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 03:28:19 PM »
We give away to many corners. Bennett is horrible for that

Online nigel

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 03:42:05 PM »
What's missing from the original post is the 4 goals conceded from corners against Bradford and the 2 against Millwall.

We didn't concede 4 goals from corners vrs Bradford, it was 2 (Two to many, mind), not directly.
Not sure about Milwall, though, I thought it was one.

Offline Jockey Randall

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 10:40:07 PM »
According to footstats.co.uk we're the 3rd highest in the league for corners against. When you consider we have probably the worst defence in the league, it's hardly surprising we've conceded a high amount from corners. We're also 4th bottom in corners for. It pretty much backs up what we already know, the midfield and defence are dragging the team down, the midfield don't keep possession well enough and put an already leaky defence under too much pressure.

Online nigel

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 10:52:32 AM »
According to footstats.co.uk we're the 3rd highest in the league for corners against. When you consider we have probably the worst defence in the league, it's hardly surprising we've conceded a high amount from corners. We're also 4th bottom in corners for. It pretty much backs up what we already know, the midfield and defence are dragging the team down, the midfield don't keep possession well enough and put an already leaky defence under too much pressure.

I'm not a great fan of Stats, but, this suggests otherwise.
A total of 168 corners and 8 Goals for our league games.  Or 4.8%/goal every 20 corners.

It might be interesting to add crosses from free kicks, too. See how that pans out

Offline peckvillajunior

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 06:19:17 PM »
Kevin Nolan will boss the midfield on Sunday. He's exactly the type we are missing. Puts his foot in. Score goals.

Puts the boot in? Not sure about that. Whenever I see Nolan play I'm consistently amazed by how lazy he is, particularly as he seems the sort of player you wouldn't expect it from. He plays as more of a second striker anyway, and if he doesn't score he does very little. Massively overrated in my opinion

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 10:43:34 PM »

He loves playing and scoring against us, the git.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2013, 01:29:35 AM »

A total of 168 corners and 8 Goals for our league games.  Or 4.8%/goal every 20 corners.

It might be interesting to add crosses from free kicks, too. See how that pans out

If it included how many times the opposition won the ball, I suggest it'd be alarmingly high. And if it included how often the entire crowd clench when one's conceded, it'd be unassailable!

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2013, 08:23:22 AM »
"But Fellaini is a player who nobody can stop from a corner. So you cannot blame the defence for that goal."

That's a quote from KEA and if that's the attitude towards opposition players, it's no wonder we can't defend. If you don't believe you can stop conceding goals you won't stop conceding goals.
Well, if that quote's true the guy should be disciplined! Defies belief.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2013, 08:34:19 AM »

I'd re-state what Jockey said and suggest that - "with so many corners given away, it is not surprising that we concede from them".
I'd like to see the comparative data for other teams; and for goals-conceded from other set pieces.

Online nigel

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2013, 10:54:49 AM »

If it included how many times the opposition won the ball, I suggest it'd be alarmingly high. And if it included how often the entire crowd clench when one's conceded, it'd be unassailable!

Ha Ha, now I can't argue with that statement  ;D

Offline Jockey Randall

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2013, 10:59:45 AM »

I'd re-state what Jockey said and suggest that - "with so many corners given away, it is not surprising that we concede from them".
I'd like to see the comparative data for other teams; and for goals-conceded from other set pieces.

An average amount of corners conceded and gained in the league can be found here:
http://www.footstats.co.uk/index.cfm?task=Leagues

Given the fact that people outside of Villa (yes, even Charlie Nicholas) recognise we concede a lot from corners I would imagine we're top on goals conceded from corners? I can't currently find any data on this.

That table is interesting though, the top of the corners for table shows the better teams as you'd expect with all their dominance but then West Ham pop up in 6th above Chelsea and Man Utd. Maybe to do with them being direct and getting a lot of long balls and crosses into the box which cause havoc with Nolan, Cole, Carroll etc? Also, Stoke are lagging way behind any team in corners for, supporting the fact that they are not only poor at keeping possession but don't venture forward as much any of the other teams.

All interesting stuff but regarding us I think it's probably a case of a mixture between the 2 points - that we're not as bad as people think at defending corners because we concede so many, but also that by premier league standards we are a poor side defensively and thus concede from time to time (roughly every 20 corners). Obviously we need to improve at the back but the rest of the team, mainly the midfield, is also part of the problem as we don't keep possession well enough and invite pressure, too much pressure then leads to goals. Unless we can unearth the free agent of the century to play in midfield or Sylla is as good a signing as Benteke was then I think we're relying on getting Dunne fit to plug a hole in the defence. If that doesn't happen the odds of 4/6 to go down look about right to me.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 11:01:40 AM by Jockey Randall »

Online nigel

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2013, 11:05:08 AM »

You're right, of course, with the high amount of corners we concede, I suppose it's inevitable that the opposition will score.
But, if those stats are to be believed, it's not a high amount of goals conceded per corner, 1 goal every 21 corners.

It would be interesting to see other teams stats, too. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal