collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Why I still back Randy and Lambert  (Read 7364 times)

Offline achilles

Re: Why I still back Randy and Lambert
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2013, 12:32:58 PM »
Lets be fair, Lerner has backed every manager, but has had his fingers badly burnt by some signings a few years ago. That said, I do think he needed to help the manager more in this window and seemingly left him hanging.

He hasn't backed Lambert with wages though. Don't let the £20m in transfer fees fool you. The reason we aimed so low is because no Premier League standard player sign for the YTS rate wages we play. Hence, we're so much in the shit.

Spot on.

Other PL clubs seem to do it okay!

Offline N'Zimidy

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2013, 12:33:53 PM »
How can anyone claim Lambert has been adept at working with a budget? We're 2nd from bottom, and he's wasted millions on mainly rubbish.
Wake up for crying out loud!

Guzan, Vlaar, Lowton and Benteke have been our best players. Mainly rubbish? What tosh. He's had to reduce our massive wage bill by buying from abroad and from lower leagues, making sure they're under the 25k wage cap. If you're looking for scapegoats why not look to players like Bent, Ireland, Bannan, N'Zogbia, Delph, Warnock, Hutton and Agbonlahor who have all failed to impress for the majority of this season despite being our big earners.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2013, 12:46:36 PM »
How can anyone claim Lambert has been adept at working with a budget? We're 2nd from bottom, and he's wasted millions on mainly rubbish.

Guzan, Vlaar, Lowton and Benteke have been our best players. Mainly rubbish? What tosh. He's had to reduce our massive wage bill by buying from abroad and from lower leagues, making sure they're under the 25k wage cap. If you're looking for scapegoats why not look to players like Bent, Ireland, Bannan, N'Zogbia, Delph, Warnock, Hutton and Agbonlahor who have all failed to impress for the majority of this season despite being our big earners.

Yeah right. Only Benteke can hold his head up this season (of Lambert's signings). The rest have been a crock of shit. Oh and please, Guzan a Lambert signing? Give me a break. His contract ran out and the club then renewed it. You're scraping the bottom of the barrel with that one.

Offline achilles

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2013, 12:52:23 PM »

They may not be great but you can't blame players who haven't played for us this season because of Lambchop's stubborness!

Offline alteavilla

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2013, 01:15:17 PM »
lamberts signings have been with the exception of benteke and guzan very average or desperate
top of the desperate class is bennett whoever scouted him should be sectioned
lowton,el ahmadi could note tackle a fish supper along with westwood
vlaar does not appear to be fit but then when you look up is career you can see why
so you get what you pay for
hope we stay up and are proved wrong about the above

Offline N'Zimidy

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2013, 01:23:49 PM »

Yeah right. Only Benteke can hold his head up this season (of Lambert's signings). The rest have been a crock of shit. Oh and please, Guzan a Lambert signing? Give me a break. His contract ran out and the club then renewed it. You're scraping the bottom of the barrel with that one.

His contract ran out and Lambert signed him. Half the people on here wanted him gone so we could have Given first choice and bring in a cheaper back up. What a disaster that would have been. He was out the door until Lambert rocked up. Excellent signing by Lambert. £20k a week.

Lowton was signed for £1m and would be worth about five times that today. One of our best performers and if you say otherwise you must be mental. £15k a week. Vlaar was signed for £3m and he's twice the centre back that Clark or Baker is at this current time. Only on £20k a week and you can look at the Christmas defeats to see we missed him massively.

Benteke was bought for £7m and could be sold for £25m this summer. Signing of the season aside from possibly Michu. In fact I would argue he's better than Michu because he was an unproven 21 year old rather than the highest scoring midfielder in La Liga. He's on £20k a week.

Then we have Bennett and KEA. Neither of whom I'm writing off as disasters. Bennett has shown glimpses of excellence and is getting better each week. £15k a week. KEA needs to be bedded in this league just like Stan needed a year to get to grips. Certainly not a bad player and he was brought in on the cheap at £20k a week.

Westwood looks to be as good a midfielder in the centre of the park as we've had for years. He was signed for peanuts and is the heart of this Villa team and keeps us ticking over well. Signed for £1m and on £10k a week. Excellent signing.

So I make that out to be about 120k a week? What's that, a Hutton and an Ireland? Less than a Beye, Warnock and Hutton? A Bent and a Delph? If you think he's bought badly you've got to be off your rocker when you realise what he's working with and what value he's bought for so little.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2013, 01:27:41 PM »
Lowton a £5m fullback? Ha!

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2013, 01:33:18 PM »
Lowton a £5m fullback? Ha!
I've imagined that you said that 'HA' bit at the end in the style of Holly Johnson as he goes into 'Born to run'

It just makes me feel better.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2013, 02:01:33 PM »

As for Lerner and Faulkner.   Faulkner is from all the evidence a useless twat who should never have been given the job in the first place.   Lerner does have a lot on the credit side but of late has taken to doing a runner from Villa Park and in my opinion has not shown sufficient interest in the club's problems.

Sorry to be so long winded but I feel very strongly about what is happening to the club which means so much to me.
I had to read it all to see if there was anything I agreed with and yes I do agree on above quote.

Offline mal

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2013, 02:21:41 PM »

His contract ran out and Lambert signed him. Half the people on here wanted him gone so we could have Given first choice and bring in a cheaper back up. What a disaster that would have been. He was out the door until Lambert rocked up. Excellent signing by Lambert. £20k a week.

Lowton was signed for £1m and would be worth about five times that today. One of our best performers and if you say otherwise you must be mental. £15k a week. Vlaar was signed for £3m and he's twice the centre back that Clark or Baker is at this current time. Only on £20k a week and you can look at the Christmas defeats to see we missed him massively.

Benteke was bought for £7m and could be sold for £25m this summer. Signing of the season aside from possibly Michu. In fact I would argue he's better than Michu because he was an unproven 21 year old rather than the highest scoring midfielder in La Liga. He's on £20k a week.

Then we have Bennett and KEA. Neither of whom I'm writing off as disasters. Bennett has shown glimpses of excellence and is getting better each week. £15k a week. KEA needs to be bedded in this league just like Stan needed a year to get to grips. Certainly not a bad player and he was brought in on the cheap at £20k a week.

Westwood looks to be as good a midfielder in the centre of the park as we've had for years. He was signed for peanuts and is the heart of this Villa team and keeps us ticking over well. Signed for £1m and on £10k a week. Excellent signing.

So I make that out to be about 120k a week? What's that, a Hutton and an Ireland? Less than a Beye, Warnock and Hutton? A Bent and a Delph? If you think he's bought badly you've got to be off your rocker when you realise what he's working with and what value he's bought for so little.

Well I'm in agreement with most of this. Stay up by the skin of our teeth this year and it could be a lot rosier next year.

Offline Doorbell

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2013, 02:24:15 PM »
Kipeye my old mate - you are what makes Villa a great club.

Indeed - the third division is where I started going down the Villa and I have to say that the decade that followed was one of the best in my sporting life.

I don't get the hatred and vitriol aimed at Lerner - he's spent way more in his six years than Doug Ellis did in his twenty plus years.  And as for the abuse aimed at Lambert by the haters - I can only surmise that it's not because they don't like him - it's because they are fickle.

The Express and Star carries an interesting story - it is Lambert responding to the likes of Collymore regarding his signings in the window.  It makes for interesting reading.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/aston-villa-fc/2013/02/02/paul-lambert-hits-out-at-critics-of-aston-villa-signings/

Villa have lost money every year since Lerner came in.  The loss has been growing.  Last year it reached £53.9 million pounds.  What business in its right mind can continue on a path that leads to such deficits?  British Leyland is the only one I can think of.

Yes we are changing - yes it is difficult - and yes it needs to be done.

Lambert has proven himself as an adept man working on a budget.  He is not being starved of funding.  He is being asked to work to a remit.  It is the same remit that brought Benteke to Villa Park.  The wailing about lack of big money signings in the window is a product of the Sky Sports generation - fuelled by the obscene spending of such clubs as Chelsea, QPR, and Manchester City.

Villa have never been like that.  We have always grown great players or found gems in the lower divisions.  Our great players were all either on the scrapheap or came from lower leagues.  I offer you Brian Little, David Platt, Ashley Young, Dwight Yorke, and Sir Paul McGrath as examples of this.  When we have spent top money on transfer and wages we have tended to end up with David Ginola or Stanley Collymore.

Villa's team are not far away from clicking.  Defending as a unit is plainly still an issue.  But they are trying to play football going forward - and the three (oh why not four!) I saw created and scored against an in-form Everton were world class.  The toffees near me (yes I had to sit on my hands) were full of anger against Moyes - calling him stubborn - and lamenting how they always fail against 'lower' teams.  I had to laugh - it put me in mind of some of the folk on here.

We will get better.

UTV

What a one-eyed piece of rubbish.  You could just as easily say that when we've gone for youngsters from the lower leagues, we've ended up with Fabian Delph, Michael Boulding, and Curtis Davies.  When we've paid big money on top players, we got Dean Saunders, Andy Townsend, Ashley Young and James Milner.  And please for the love of god look up the word 'fickle'.  Then come back when you understand what it actually means.  Thanks.

I'm not brilliant with our history but I'm pretty sure that during the very early days of the football league, we broke transfer records on a regular basis and paid what was then, some very high fees\salaries...so we have been the likes of modern Chelsea, man city and QPR.

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2013, 02:27:00 PM »
Sonly-Nice to know I am not alone. Brian-I understand why you would disagree with me about the 3rd division but my point was not that I thought it was fun-like in novelty, but for once it was nice to let go of all the pretensions and just enjoying the football for the 90 minutes. I am also trying to say-we will not lose the Villa to a slow and final decline and if we go down it is still possible to enjoy supporting them
As for you Rissole-you should know better.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal