collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Why I still back Randy and Lambert  (Read 7332 times)

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
Why I still back Randy and Lambert
« on: February 02, 2013, 02:17:04 PM »
Please -no tin-hat stuff-I am just expressing a considered opinion and sorry for the long post.
I have not enjoyed this year one bit but then again -the last 3 have been pretty bad. Having settled down a bit now and having had chance to compare with the last 50 years of supporting the team, I guess I am not resigned, but expecting relegation now.
Firstly, Randy. He doesn't say much and seems to be really bad at picking people to run the club (all except for Sid) at all levels. However, he has always begun by putting his hand in his pocket and does not seem to want to take credit where it is not due or interfere with the playing side of things. Also he doesn't seem to be calling us or looking to sell to the first buyer with cash. Not much granted, but enough for me to say that there are worse owners out there and it seems he is well intentioned.
Lambert has not been a disaster-but his results on the pitch have been. I have not seen a single player he has bought that does not have potential, and indeed-showed that fairly quickly. I also liked the way he went about bringing in new blood and recognising that the legacy that really belongs to MON was a poisonous one in the main. Yes, we had a team full of internationals-some of whom stayed to see Lambert in, but most of them are players I have been relieved to see the back of. Unfortunately-he did not get the balance right and from a poor start it has now imploded to the point potential is now very far from what we need. He also seems slow in redressing the lack of experience.
However, if we go down the side would need more than one season to return. This is not unknown to others who have been going as long as I have or longer. If we manage to survive, we won't get worse next year.So, I would not change Lambert for at least one more season.
I do not want relegation, but I will still enjoy watching my team whatever the division. Many younger fans are still puzzled when us old 'uns say the 3rd Division years were really great fun. It was simply because we just went to enjoy the game and watch the team and it was really different in a nice way.

Offline chrisf

Re: Why I still back Randy and Lambert
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 02:36:50 PM »
+1

I too still back Lerner and Lambert.

I have no time what-so-ever for our CEO. At the time Lerner took over, a Browns fan told me that Randy was fine. It was the people that he brought in to run things that you need to worry about.

I won't make any excuses for Lambert, his formations and ability to organise the team have been woeful but I do think he's bought well and will come good in time. That may well include a season or more in the Championship.

I also think that the strategy of buying young players with potential is the only way that we can ever hope to challenge in the future. Buying players with experience means buying players with a reputation. Players with a reputation know that they'll find another club whatever happens and this regularly results in lazy Ireland/Hutton/Dunne/Warnock type acquisitions.

Offline django

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 02:41:02 PM »
I think modern football is a hideous corrupt business, massive sums of money getting paid to shit players, crooked agents and hopeless managers. Someone needs to try something else, so I'm a reluctant +1 too.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 02:42:24 PM »
I think modern football is a hideous corrupt business, massive sums of money getting paid to shit players, crooked agents and hopeless managers. Someone needs to try something else, so I'm a reluctant +1 too.

Swansea are, Wigan (sort of) are, even the Sandwellites are. We're just doing it with hopeless ineptitude.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 08:52:28 PM »
A decent middle man between the manager and the chairman would be good. Faulkner is just a tosspot of the highest order, imo.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 08:53:29 PM »
Personally, I think they're a criminally useless pair of twats, but each to their own.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 11:05:42 PM »
A decent middle man between the manager and the chairman would be good. Faulkner is just a tosspot of the highest order, imo.

Faulkner is a waste of time and more importantly, money. What exactly does he do?

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 11:08:48 PM »
Whatever Mr Lerner, Sir tells him to do. That's exactly why he's in the job. He does exactly what he's told.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 11:18:45 PM »
It's hard to back a man that won't finance a defender when you can't defend

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 11:25:53 PM »
I too don't dislike either.  I can understand the Lerner plan to make us self sustaining but as we've learnt a lot of things have to be correct and in place for that to be a reality.  A rookie manager at such a club at this level and a squad lacking in ability and experience make it virtually impossible.  Lerner should have extended his time frame and invested in more quality to give his plan a chance.  He didn't and that decision could set us back a good few years.

Offline Des Little

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 11:35:07 PM »
Lerner's plan ended when we didn't make the champs league after MON's second season. He lost all interest then.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 11:36:15 PM »
Lets be fair, Lerner has backed every manager, but has had his fingers badly burnt by some signings a few years ago. That said, I do think he needed to help the manager more in this window and seemingly left him hanging.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 11:40:13 PM »
Lets be fair, Lerner has backed every manager, but has had his fingers badly burnt by some signings a few years ago. That said, I do think he needed to help the manager more in this window and seemingly left him hanging.

He hasn't backed Lambert with wages though. Don't let the £20m in transfer fees fool you. The reason we aimed so low is because no Premier League standard player sign for the YTS rate wages we play. Hence, we're so much in the shit.

Offline Des Little

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 11:42:43 PM »

He hasn't backed Lambert with wages though. Don't let the £20m in transfer fees fool you. The reason we aimed so low is because no Premier League standard player sign for the YTS rate wages we play. Hence, we're so much in the shit.

Spot on.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 11:43:02 PM »

And that is part of the problem.  Not thet he backs them but the manager choice and control he's given them.  We've needed an experienced body at top level from day one. Lerner's failing is not so much who he has appointed but who he hasn't.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal