collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Darren Bent, can he keep us up??  (Read 17419 times)

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
Re: Darren Bent, can he keep us up??
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2013, 07:03:17 PM »
In this current situation, as has been demonstrated frequently, you cannot start games with Darren Bent. When teams find themselves in our situation, which is devoid of confidence, you must first start to make yourselves hard to beat, and that starts from the front, working its way backwards. We need to start forcing teams to work for possession of the ball, closing them down, preventing them from settling and forcing them into mistakes. We need to start winning the loose balls and attacking and defending as a discernible unit. Players like Bent are not going to assist in this regard. I favour a 4-4-2 system to shield the whole of the defence or possibly a 4-5-1 allowing players with pace like Gabby, Andi and Charlie to feed off Benteke when we press. The 2nd half performance against Newcastle was as perplexing as it was encouraging. I saw our players covering every blade attempting to stick their boys into row Z during every 50/50, but if we are capable of these fleeting moments why the hell can't Lambert form a decent side - it doesn't bode well I'm afraid. Give the boys every encouragement. The management are there to recruit, train, motivate and select the team. UTV.

Offline pedro25

« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2013, 07:12:22 PM »
I meant to add to my previous post, playing Bent while acknowledging he isnt a player who can crete for himself seems crazy. Benteke and Weimann can, as well as being able to finish other people's work.

Playing Bent you are having to hope that he and his supply line will improve in order for him to score goals, and we lose the hard working prescence of Weimann/Benteke and their ability to create for others.

I'm honestly amazed that anyone would play Bent unless the others are I'll/injured. It's the one bit of he team we have been getting right

4th for me.

we are losing every game we play thou

I noticed we had no width first half against Magpies and all the strikers were rubbish and then second half we had width but he took Bent off , strange . 

I guess it depends if you think Bent was a victim or a big part of the cause of the problems in the first half.  I'm not sure either way, I just know that, based on this season Bent should be 3rd choice for us.

Offline ez

« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2013, 12:49:34 PM »
Bent will always score goals and has never let us down in that. The problem is the amount of goals going in at the other end.

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2013, 01:48:40 PM »
Last time he did, he had Young and Downing supplying him, this time , hes got.... hmmmmm.............
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 02:08:42 PM by martin o`who?? »

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #94 on: February 02, 2013, 02:02:44 PM »
Bent wasn't the only reason we were so terrible in the first half on Tuesday - most of the blame has to go to the manager for the daft nonsense of a formation he played - but his presence didn't help, and Weimann's clearly did.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal