collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Risso
[Today at 08:11:32 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by Baldy
[Today at 08:02:49 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R26: ASTON VILLA v Chelsea, Saturday, 27th April!🥧 by KNVillan
[Today at 07:58:57 AM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Mister E
[Today at 07:49:10 AM]

Liverpool by johnc
[Today at 07:48:11 AM]

MOTD by ChicagoLion
[Today at 07:34:31 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 03:52:31 AM]

Kaine Kesler Hayden by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:49:43 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Darren Bent, can he keep us up??  (Read 17410 times)

Offline Greg N'Ash

Re: Darren Bent, can he keep us up??
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 11:08:34 AM »
He could but he won't. Lambert doesn't play to his strengths and the purchase of Benteke shows you the sort of striker lambert likes. It's pointless playing him as he's a spectator half the time. He hardly gets any service and the service he does get is not the type he thrives on. Only Villa would buy someone for a record amount, and then appoint two managers in a row who'd be much happier with Heskey.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 11:11:15 AM »
Yes if we play 4-4-2 .then he can play with Benteke.

With no width you need the strikers to go wide and both him and Benteke drift centrally too much

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 11:13:32 AM »
Benteke scores about the same as Bent does, so can't see how much difference he will make.  Unless we convert him to a centre half!

Benteke plays every game though, Bent doesn't.
I'd stick Bent in a leave him there till the end of the season. I like Benteke but he misses lots of chances. We need Bent's clinical finishing to save us, and as long as we have width (N'Zogbia are you listening?) we have a chance. It's our few remaining big players that will get us out of this god damn mess.

I meant in terms of goals to games.  Someone put the stats on the transfer thread the other day and we actually get more from Benteke than Bent.   When you add in Weimann, when was the last time we had two strikers on double figures by this point of the season?

The reason we haven't been scoring enough is therefore lack of goals from elsewhere in the team.

I still think Bent would come good in the games that matter. As I said before its the big players who could keep us up. We need width though.  N'Zogbia must play every game out on the wing now if we want a chance of staying up.

I get your point and sort of agree, but Benteke HAS been a big player for us this season.  Playing the two of them would mean at most a 4 man midfield, and we're too weal there not to play a 5, IMO.  So if it's a straight chance between the two, I'd pick Benteke.  Although that doesn't Bent won't still have a role to play until May.

Probably more important is Dunne coming back and being a big player for us.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 11:14:16 AM »
Benteke scores about the same as Bent does, so can't see how much difference he will make.  Unless we convert him to a centre half!

Benteke plays every game though, Bent doesn't.
I'd stick Bent in a leave him there till the end of the season. I like Benteke but he misses lots of chances. We need Bent's clinical finishing to save us, and as long as we have width (N'Zogbia are you listening?) we have a chance. It's our few remaining big players that will get us out of this god damn mess.

I'd go with the formation we started the 2nd half on Tuesday.  With Weimann and Gabby out wide, Benteke up front and Zog just behind with Sylla (if he is what we hope he is) in for Bannan.
If crosses sent in from our width aren't being converted then Bent comes on for Bentekee or vice versa.  Gabby and Weimann will give us work rate when we need to defend.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 11:15:34 AM »
No for two reasons, firstly he doesn't really play and we don't create chances for him. Secondly no striker in the world could compensate for the amount of goals we concede.

Agree, when he was scoring for fun, he had good supply from Downing and Young. We just don't play with any real width, so we're not playing to his strengths. We've wasted his ability. A 20 goal-a-season man with the right supply. PL has handled him abysmally this season, and now will not get the best out of him. I don't really blame Bent - if my boss had treated me that way, I'd think ''fuck you''

Offline Merv

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 11:17:40 AM »
I'd pick Weimann over Bent, every time. The best finisher at the club by a mile, but he also works his backside off and he clearly wants it. The hunger is obvious.

Bent just looks like he's coasting to me.

Our best bet is to play Benteke and Weimann together as a front two, IMO. N'Zogbia in that roving attacking role just behind, or getting out to the left to give us width.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 11:18:44 AM »
I'd pick Weimann over Bent, every time. The best finisher at the club by a mile, but he also works his backside off and he clearly wants it. The hunger is obvious.

Bent just looks like he's coasting to me.

Our best bet is to play Benteke and Weimann together as a front two, IMO. N'Zogbia in that roving attacking role just behind, or getting out to the left to give us width.

Agreed.

Offline supertom

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 11:20:20 AM »
Nige is still available isn't he? On a free I'd snap him up now. Are we able to sign free agents now?

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 11:23:46 AM »
I'd go with the formation we started the 2nd half on Tuesday.  With Weimann and Gabby out wide, Benteke up front and Zog just behind with Sylla (if he is what we hope he is) in for Bannan.
If crosses sent in from our width aren't being converted then Bent comes on for Bentekee or vice versa.  Gabby and Weimann will give us work rate when we need to defend.

I think we need to be a bit more cautious than that.

We can't do it until KEA gets back, but this is what I'd be thinking for the rest of the season:-

Guzan
Lowton - Vlaar - Dunne - Clark/Baker
Westwood - Sylla - KEA
Weimann - Benteke - N'Zogbia

It's probably our most solid three in the centre and KEA would have most licence to get forward.  N'Zog would need to do the dirty work more than he does now and we have Bent and/or Gabby as impact subs.

Offline supertom

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 11:27:16 AM »
I'd go for:

Goose

Lowton
Dunne
Vlaar
Warnock

N'Zogbia
Sylla
Westy
Gabby/Holman/'Dawkins

Bent
Benteke

Offline eastie

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2013, 11:32:13 AM »
                     Guzan

Lowton.      Vlaar.    Dunne.   Baker

Westwood    Sylla.   Delph

Weimann.      Benteke.    Nzog/hawkins

Supertom - your team above has warnock , he has left the  club.

Offline supertom

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2013, 11:33:39 AM »
Bloody hell, never realised or expected we'd get rid of Warnock! The one time I want him in our side over the last 3 years and it's when he's fucked off! ha ha. Sums us up at the minute really.

Has Heskey left yet?  :P

Offline danno

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2013, 11:42:22 AM »
He could if we played to his strengths.
We could play to his strengths if we had two decent wingers.
Unfortunately we sold them.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2013, 11:52:40 AM »
Give him the ammo and I'm sure he'll do the job.

Giving him the ammo though....hmmmm, how does that work ?

Offline russon

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2013, 11:58:08 AM »
He's coasting his way to the end of season and a transfer. When he muffed that sitter at Bradford and hobbled off immediately with a twinged eyebrow it said it all.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal