collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Formation  (Read 11598 times)

Offline supertom

Re: Formation
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2013, 07:51:36 AM »
He would. He probably won't be back before the end of the jan window though sadly. I don't think Lambert will play him much either.

Offline NiiLamptey

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2013, 07:54:07 AM »
until we have  a number 10, play the three we have but narrower?

or pick 2 strikers and give tonev a shit?

Offline supertom

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2013, 07:57:41 AM »
Tonev I'd rather see on the wing. I thought we had a bit of joy against Everton because we opened up the pitch a bit more and had some width, mostly coming from Tonev. If he works on his delivery he could be useful. Playing through the middle I'm not sure he's got the touch or vision to do it. Again, this is something we don't appear to have in our squad and needs addressing in Jan.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2013, 11:32:48 AM »
I don't think it's so much the formation, although maybe a slight tweak might be required at home. I think it's that we don't have a number 10 or a creative wide player available. If we had decent quality in those areas we'd be a different team completely and get much better results at home.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2013, 12:44:50 PM »
A 5 year research into  how a goal is scored/conceded by Loughborough Uni concluded:

"It's nothing to do with formations and tactics.  The event happens when chaos is introduced into normal play."

We need less chaos in our defence and create more chaos in their defence. It's a simple game!

Offline supertom

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2013, 01:43:33 PM »
A 5 year research into  how a goal is scored/conceded by Loughborough Uni concluded:

"It's nothing to do with formations and tactics.  The event happens when chaos is introduced into normal play."

We need less chaos in our defence and create more chaos in their defence. It's a simple game!

Ah the chaos theory. I've heard of it. ;)

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2013, 05:53:44 PM »
We can't really play 4-2-3-1 because all the options for the 'number 10' role are all converted strikers or wingers. We need more an attacking midfielder than a second striker or an inside forward, because they tend to be less profligate in possession, more likely to choose when to play it risky and when to play it safe, and more aware of pressing and the nuances of their defensive duties. Second strikers and wingers are always going to go a bit mental, attack riskily and leave holes at the back.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2013, 01:18:30 PM »
Until we have a better quality midfielder it is senseless playing three across the middle because it creates so much space to exploit on the wings. The formation works away from home because that's arguably how an away team should play – take a chance on a formation that allows for a quick break forward and try to stifle the home team in the middle. The problem is at home where we have the largest pitch in the PL. The formation we play is thus useless because the away team will be trying to exploit the wings on the counter-attack anyway. 4-4-2 at home is honestly the only sensible option that I can see for us, especially when we are in desperate need of more goals/opportunities.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2013, 05:47:28 PM »
A good point made above. Regardles of formation, we don't actually have any proven creative, technically adept, attacking midfielders.

N'Zogbia was tried in that role without really making the place his own, but I'd have  him in the side in a heart beat at the moment.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2013, 06:21:28 PM »
I'm hoping we never see again 5-3-0-2 again.

Offline ez

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2013, 06:42:04 PM »
I think going 5 at the back against 1 makeshift west ham striker was a bit over cautious.

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2013, 07:12:42 PM »
Until we have a better quality midfielder it is senseless playing three across the middle because it creates so much space to exploit on the wings. The formation works away from home because that's arguably how an away team should play – take a chance on a formation that allows for a quick break forward and try to stifle the home team in the middle. The problem is at home where we have the largest pitch in the PL. The formation we play is thus useless because the away team will be trying to exploit the wings on the counter-attack anyway. 4-4-2 at home is honestly the only sensible option that I can see for us, especially when we are in desperate need of more goals/opportunities.
It was only when we switched to three up front last year that we stated to improve at home (second half Newcastle at home I think it was). Problem this year is that 2 of the 3 haven't played well and one has been injured. That said we do need alternatives but not sure who we would play alongside Benteke if we go with 2. When gabby comes inside his poor touch lets him down.
Not sure we have the biggest pitch, looked at that link somebody posted re premier league handbook and about half the teams had the exact same pitch size as us and the rest where smaller in various degrees.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2013, 07:50:51 PM »
I think going 5 at the back against 1 makeshift west ham striker was a bit over cautious.

Just a tad but it was the three defensive midfielders that did it for me though it could be argued Westwood marked himself out of the game, so we were a bit short there.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2013, 08:02:25 PM »
When we player 532 last year, one of the three was more attacking - eg Holman . It's very defensive without that.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2013, 08:15:08 PM »

Seeing West Ham's formation on MOTD was quite funny.  They have a standard format at the start of each game where the pitch is carved up in to five segments to show the goalkeeper and four outfield lines of players to accomodate modern formations (4-2-3-1, 4-3-2-1, etc) but last night for West Ham they showed 4-4-2-0 to really emphasise the fact West Ham weren't playing a striker!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal