collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by VillaTim
[Today at 10:55:24 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by VillaTim
[Today at 10:51:16 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[Today at 10:37:12 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 10:36:44 PM]

NSWE Investment by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[Today at 10:36:07 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 10:33:16 PM]

Diego Carlos by KevinGage
[Today at 09:42:35 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Drummond
[Today at 09:20:21 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Man Marking or Zonal Marking  (Read 5262 times)

Offline Ivo Stas

Man Marking or Zonal Marking
« on: January 29, 2013, 03:20:00 PM »
We've conceded 16 goals from dead-ball situations in the Premier League this season (more than any other top-flight club). Under Alex McLeish, Villa conceded 25 goals from set pieces last season, which was the poorest record in the league. The season before, during Houllier's brief reign, Villa conceded 27 goals from set pieces.

This season we are man-to-man marking. Under Martin O'Neill we used zonal marking to great success, however we were still using it when leaking goals from corners under Houllier (see this article: http://www.birminghampost.net/midlands-birmingham-sport/west-midlands-sports/aston-villa-fc/2011/03/10/gerard-houllier-to-stick-with-zonal-marking-at-aston-villa-65233-28308876/).

West Ham have conceded fewer goals (4) from set pieces than anyone else in the Premier League this season and they use man-marking. Chelsea use zonal marking and have been the second most resilient from set pieces, letting in five.

Is man marking the least worst option or should we give zonal marking a try..? Or does it not matter a damn if you don't have "brave as a lion" Martin Laursen..?

Offline onje_villa

• GM : Jan, 2013
Re: Man Marking or Zonal Marking
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 03:21:30 PM »
I've always thought when defending corners, you have a big bloke at the front stick and all your best headers attack the ball. Forget the man, get your head on it and clear your lines.

Absolutely à la Martin Laursen.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 03:21:31 PM »
I'll take any marking whatsoever.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 03:32:30 PM »
Man marking. Space doesn't score goals. Men do.

But whatever, let's just get first to the ball.

Offline MarkM

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 03:38:34 PM »
I didnt realise we defended corners?

I thought we just put the smallest guy on the team [Bannan] on the post [Shay told him he can use the net to get some hight when he jumps] then put the worst defensive header of a ball [Banteke] to mark the other teams biggest goal threat and everyone else was tasked to just watch?

Offline danlanza

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 03:43:00 PM »
Newcastle will go all out for corners and free kicks tonight. I just hope we can hold out. Oh dear.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 03:47:09 PM »
The problem isn't just the marking.  There's the jumping, the timing of the jump and the physical strength of our defenders when jumping.  All of which is pretty shit.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 03:53:04 PM »
Stats suggest either. But obviously pick one, practice doing it, and once you cross that white line, keep your discipline and don't forget your training. Doddle, this management malarky

Offline jonzy85

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 04:04:06 PM »
You need players who want to attack the ball in the air, not just head it because they feel they have to because it is coming near them. Both systems work in my opinion if you have the above and some level of organisation.

Newcastle seem to have been as bad at scoring from set pieces this year as we have been defending them, how interesting....

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 04:55:34 PM »
We seemed to get away with zonal marking under MON becuase we had the Dunne/Collins/Cuellar combination who would throw themselves in front of anything but man marking makes more sense. You need someone at the back taking charge and making sure everyone does their job though.

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 05:01:50 PM »
Also another thing is try avoid getting those corners against us? I remember against Stoke, we kept giving throw ins to Delap, and cue they scored from one. We also tend to do loads of stupid fouls in the wingback areas, and many end up with goals. I think rule no 1 - try not get set plays against us. No 2, when they do - defend. Law of average will give them goals from set-pieces. Lets just keep the frequency down

(Example - Bennetts stupid lazy touch just rolled the ball to a corner against WBA, when with a bit of work, a throw in)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 05:03:10 PM »
I would go for a mix of the 2. Benteke is too careless to man mark, so for me he would be on the front stick with the head it at all costs mantra. Behind that man to man, but we are so small and weedy that man to man hurts us. Even Vlaar was out battled against Bradford.

We are desperate for 2 big strong men to come in to help. Until we do that we won't improve much.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 05:07:35 PM »

Newcastle seem to have been as bad at scoring from set pieces this year as we have been defending them, how interesting....
[/quote]

You've only gone and jinxed us now.....

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 05:11:15 PM »
To be honest, very few teams do just one or the other. Maybe very strongly leaning towards one of the methods, but by and large teams use a combination. There's nothing wrong with either of them really, you just have to attack the bloody ball.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 05:55:49 PM »
The opposition can't score if you get your head to it first.   Just get a couple of players willing to attack the ball come what may and clear it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal