collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by tomd2103
[Today at 12:14:34 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:06:52 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 24, 2024, 11:56:03 PM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Hillbilly
[April 24, 2024, 11:46:00 PM]

Champions League Contention by Dave
[April 24, 2024, 11:04:47 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by VillaTim
[April 24, 2024, 10:35:53 PM]

MOTD by Brazilian Villain
[April 24, 2024, 10:01:13 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Demitri_C
[April 24, 2024, 09:46:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Players out of position  (Read 4095 times)

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
Re: Players out of position
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 02:38:35 PM »
If you're going to play narrow, then your midfield must be fluid, but more than anything, your full backs must, must, must(!) push on.

The two things must go hand-in-hand. With the lack of fluidity from our midfield, our full-backs are all too often isolated and vulnerable in the opposition half. Without support, they carry no threat. May beat the first man, but with no movement around them to at least distract the opposing full-back, possesion is too easily relinquished. I think both Bennett and Lowton are aware of this shortcoming, hence their propensity to turn and play the ball back to the central defenders from what, were they wingers, would seem promising positions. Someone mentioned watching from the upper Trinity. Maybe if PL watched from up here, instead of the worm's-eye-view offered from our dugout, he might see what are some basic yet easily corrected problems

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 03:03:13 PM »
If you're going to play narrow, then your midfield must be fluid, but more than anything, your full backs must, must, must(!) push on.

The two things must go hand-in-hand. With the lack of fluidity from our midfield, our full-backs are all too often isolated and vulnerable in the opposition half. Without support, they carry no threat. May beat the first man, but with no movement around them to at least distract the opposing full-back, possesion is too easily relinquished. I think both Bennett and Lowton are aware of this shortcoming, hence their propensity to turn and play the ball back to the central defenders from what, were they wingers, would seem promising positions. Someone mentioned watching from the upper Trinity. Maybe if PL watched from up here, instead of the worm's-eye-view offered from our dugout, he might see what are some basic yet easily corrected problems

Have always wondered why football managers insist on standing on the touchline when their observation must be limited.  Rugby coaches, generally without exception, sit high up in the stand so they can see the whole panorama in front of them.  If they need to make a switch or get a rollicking out to someone they just use the radio connection they have to their assistants who are on the touchline and it is sorted.  Wasn't it JG who after one of his touchline bans said he saw things differently when he was sat up in the stand?

Offline MarkM

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 03:05:36 PM »

Have always wondered why football managers insist on standing on the touchline when their observation must be limited.  Rugby coaches, generally without exception, sit high up in the stand so they can see the whole panorama in front of them.  If they need to make a switch or get a rollicking out to someone they just use the radio connection they have to their assistants who are on the touchline and it is sorted.  Wasn't it JG who after one of his touchline bans said he saw things differently when he was sat up in the stand?

Never quite got that either, maybe in the past with single tear stands it made sense but now?

It would be far more benefitial to be up in the Trinity middle and get a good view of how the game is going.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 03:14:14 PM »
Doesn't seem a million years ago that that was the norm. Watch the first half from the director's box, and only take a place pitchside for the second.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 03:48:14 PM »
Against Bradford, I am convinced that if we had done this we would have pulled their defensive set up about far more than we did and created more space, particularly as the game wore on.

Thought our tactics were poor on the night as we played as if we were playing another Premier League side.

Not sure about another PL side, more very crap pub side. I got the idea we only wanted to play width wise, in two thirds of the pitch. Instead of stretching them, creating more space for the strikers to attack, we had Gabby, Bent and Benteke in a two metre square space. Lambert made it very easy for the Bradford defence to deal with the hoofs into the box.

The shocking thing is, it wasn't for the last few minutes, it was for most of the second half.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 06:32:26 PM »
Forwards going wide especially Weiman annoys me as his forte is playing just off Benteke directly in front of goal. He took the knock on from Bent brilliantly, a typical old fashioned inside forward is Weiman.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 06:38:45 PM »
Forwards going wide especially Weiman annoys me as his forte is playing just off Benteke directly in front of goal. He took the knock on from Bent brilliantly, a typical old fashioned inside forward is Weiman.

Then it has to be the "free man" who makes those runs.  N'Zogbia has never seemed too keen on doing too much running off the ball though.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 10:53:22 PM »
I think we can continue playing N'zogbia in the hole but we need three central midfielders behind him, say Westwood, KEA and one of Delph/Holamn.  No more Bannan please, I'm no fan but it's painful watching him knowing the crowd is on his back.

Bennett, my problem isn't going forward as he's set up a couple of goals from nice crosses recently but that the boy can't defend one on one.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal