collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lerner backs Villa boss Lambert  (Read 32026 times)

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
Re: Lerner backs Villa boss Lambert
« Reply #180 on: January 28, 2013, 09:28:34 PM »
Why do I get this sneaking feeling that if we go down the fans will be blamed for this because we didn't support the manager enough?
They won't be able to peddle that one this time. Never seen a managers name being chanted by our lot after being battered by the likes of Wigan at home.

Wasn't true last season either - TSM only got 9 minutes of ragging!

Offline onje_villa

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #181 on: January 28, 2013, 09:51:41 PM »
I wonder whether the timing of this has anything to do with the imminent departures of Hutton and Warnock. That could free up 80k/week for two new players. If we're speculating that the wages have been the problem and we've now got some room to manoeuvre, it MAY all fall into place - if the right player(s) out there.

I still think one proper midfield leader would be enough, not ideal but it's what we need more than anything else.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #182 on: January 28, 2013, 10:09:24 PM »
Wouldn't it have been amusing if Randy had put the words 'we pick ourselves up and go again' somewhere in his statement.

Offline achilles

« Reply #183 on: January 28, 2013, 10:48:31 PM »
One thing Nursey said which i think is bang on and our biggest weakness is that we have no Characters in the side,no hard men to keep the team focused when things go wrong, go through the team and you be hard pressed to come up with a player you could deem to be a fighter, the nearest i can get is Weiman.

Very true - no leadership .
Don't need fighters, need leaders. Players who can react to what they see happening on the pitch without waiting for instructions from the bench. Still can't believe the 5 up front debacle last week but couldn't the infamous 5 see it wasn't likely to work and react?

You do what the manager tells you to do, otherwise he won't pick you again.
If he tells you to get in the 6 yard box, thats what you do its irrelevant whether the ball is going to get to you or not, thats not your problem!

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #184 on: January 28, 2013, 10:59:45 PM »
One thing Nursey said which i think is bang on and our biggest weakness is that we have no Characters in the side,no hard men to keep the team focused when things go wrong, go through the team and you be hard pressed to come up with a player you could deem to be a fighter, the nearest i can get is Weiman.

Very true - no leadership .
Don't need fighters, need leaders. Players who can react to what they see happening on the pitch without waiting for instructions from the bench. Still can't believe the 5 up front debacle last week but couldn't the infamous 5 see it wasn't likely to work and react?

You do what the manager tells you to do, otherwise he won't pick you again.
If he tells you to get in the 6 yard box, thats what you do its irrelevant whether the ball is going to get to you or not, thats not your problem!
Well if Bennett bombs forward I would hope that one of his team mates is aware of the risk of the move breaking down and can cover. Not just think its not my problem but read the bloody game.
I agree though, thats sadly not how it works.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #185 on: January 28, 2013, 11:00:26 PM »
Lerner a fucking fool and makes Doug look like Steve Jobs

Erm..Steve Jobs is dead.

They tuk urrr jerbs!

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #186 on: January 28, 2013, 11:24:00 PM »
Well if Bennett bombs forward I would hope that one of his team mates is aware of the risk of the move breaking down and can cover. Not just think its not my problem but read the bloody game.
I agree though, thats sadly not how it works.
Wasn't that how bradford's goal at our place came about, he got isolated 25 yards inside their half, nobody helped, nobody covered? Mayhem ensued, cornalty, bye-bye wembley.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #187 on: January 28, 2013, 11:49:26 PM »
Lambo should learn some new pick ourselves up lines.
I am only going to get worried if I hear Lambert start saying "we pick ourselves up and keep going until its mathematically impossible"

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #188 on: January 29, 2013, 12:04:21 AM »
But Phil, what you're saying there is that the quality of the squad is the problem, as evidenced in the link, the quantity is there.

This is the point I was trying to make, the numbers are there but the experienced guys on the list are either shit, out of form or injured, meaning we're relying on the ones who should've been playing the odd game here and there, not starting regularly.

It comes back to the same mistakes being made repeatedly.  Every experienced player we've signed since Milner has been a disappointment in the long run, be it due to injuries, loss of form or general shitness; that's a spectacular run of poor choices and bad luck.  Most of those senior players have ended up hanging around taking wages out of the club whilst offering very little back, no club could sustain it and it's only because of Lerner paying our running costs that we've coped to the extent we have.

The problem for me, Paul, is that we've all seen the potential at some stage or other of the players, they're not all bad. What's happening though is instead of one or two players having a bad run, it's almost every single one of them at the same time, week in, week out and Lambert has done nothing to address the problem.

I'm more than aware Lambert is still learning his trade as a manager but it's bloody frustrating he' fails to see the elephant in the room. Tactically, he just picks himself up and goes again with the same system that isn't right for now.

I agree totally, that's why I still have my vote on the in or out thread set to out.

We need players but no amount of new players, who are realistically available to us, are going to solve things if he continues to make the rank decisions with tactics and subs that have happened in the last month.  It also doesn't change the fact that he can't seem to get the players believing in themselves again after things go wrong.

I do think though that if he stumbles onto something that works we're a much better squad than we look at the minute, I just haven't got the guts for the risk of keeping him and hoping that happens.  Irrelevant anyway because I doubt he's going anywhere but I still think there are better options out there.

Online villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #189 on: January 29, 2013, 12:12:01 AM »
Lerner a fucking fool and makes Doug look like Steve Jobs

Erm..Steve Jobs is dead.

They tuk urrr jerbs!

Dey drrkk urrr drrrr.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #190 on: January 29, 2013, 12:36:56 AM »
Lerner's statement reads eerily like an old 70's This is your Life when someone like Bernard Bresslaw was on and they dug out some hollywood star he once worked with to give the show a bit of glamour, with a tapped video message of him relaxing by a pool

"Hi Paul, I'm sorry i can't be with you tonight but i'm currently playing golf. I still remember that day we spent together back in 2012 and you teaching me to mumble in Scotchese.  Your probably the greatest manager of your generation, my bestest Brit pal, and the next time i'm in Birmingham, we must meet up to discuss old times and the multi-year lack of competitive stability"

*screen fades to black, faint echo of "who is he again?*
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 12:41:33 AM by Greg N'Ash »

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #191 on: January 29, 2013, 01:42:34 AM »
GregNAsh - Brilliant.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #192 on: January 29, 2013, 09:38:02 AM »
Cap doffed to the Nasher.

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #193 on: January 29, 2013, 10:27:41 AM »
Is "the club’s multi-year lack of competitive stability" management speak for "we've been shit for ages"?

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #194 on: January 29, 2013, 10:38:07 AM »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal