collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by AV82EC
[Today at 11:16:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 11:11:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:07:39 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 11:05:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Richard E
[Today at 11:00:08 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:58:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lerner backs Villa boss Lambert  (Read 32025 times)

Online kippaxvilla2

Re: Lerner backs Villa boss Lambert
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 02:22:23 PM »
Whilst I can see some of the points Drummond is making, You mumbling incompetent is still fekin funny.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 02:25:00 PM »
Let's look at it another way....

Were we going to win the league? No
Were we going to challenge for Champions League places? No
How about UEFA places? Highly unlikely
Mid table? Probably, if we spent a bit on some experienced players.

So, was it therefore worth spending a few million on short term options? I don't think so, not for an acceptance of mid-table mediocrity (which is what we've had for years and years)

Was it worth buying younger players and planning for the future? Risky, very risky. The manager believes we'll stay up. So far we're not in the relegation places, though we're mighty close and playing worse than anyone else. However, it's when you've played all the games, not some of them, that things are decided.

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 02:25:24 PM »
Whilst I can see some of the points Drummond is making, You mumbling incompetent is still fekin funny.
Maybe that is the biggest problem? Many of the players have no clue what he says to them?

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 02:29:18 PM »
Thing is Drummond it's too risky given the financial rewards of being in the Premier League next year. In any case we could have supplement those inexperienced players with a couple of experienced ones to carry us through. I would say at the moment, given our form that Lambert's risks are too great.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 02:31:27 PM »
Listening to 5 live on Saturday night and I actually caught myself nodding in agreement with Robbie Savage.

He was saying that the most inexcusable thing about Villa is the fact that the team seem to have learnt absolutely nothing from the experience this season . They just seem to repeat the same mistakes week after week.

Lambert's got to take the blame for sending players out who aren't prepared - mentally or physically - to do the job.

And anyone who seriously suggests that the team aren't playing well because the crowd aren't supporting them enough.....

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 02:38:45 PM »

And anyone who seriously suggests that the team aren't playing well because the crowd aren't supporting them enough.....

Saw a fella who is a Walsall fan today. He was at the Bradford game and said it was the most exciting, fervent support he had ever witnessed. He admitted that the Saddlers may not be the most rabid of fans but he goes to several different grounds a year. He ended by saying the team don't deserve us.

Online Drummond

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 02:42:12 PM »

Why is being at home generally seen as being an advantage? Mainly because of the support. If that support isn't positive and directed at the home team, it's bound to have an effect.

Culverhouse jumped off the bench on Tuesday and tried to get the crowd going when they got on Bennett's back after a poor pass. He had a point.

The fact we have emotionally vulnerable players isn't exactly ideal but it's where we're at. And before anyone says that Premier League players should be mentally stronger/better etc, remember that our current crop generally aren't so we've no option.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 02:45:41 PM »
Listening to 5 live on Saturday night and I actually caught myself nodding in agreement with Robbie Savage.

He was saying that the most inexcusable thing about Villa is the fact that the team seem to have learnt absolutely nothing from the experience this season . They just seem to repeat the same mistakes week after week.

Lambert's got to take the blame for sending players out who aren't prepared - mentally or physically - to do the job.

I agree the failure to learn from mistakes is the most infuriating thing. I can accept mistakes if you learn and move on and don't repeat. I genuinely think our players need to get down the gym and do some weights, we look so physically weak next to other sides with the exception of Vlaar and Benteke.

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 02:48:30 PM »
Culverhouse jumped off the bench on Tuesday and tried to get the crowd going when they got on Bennett's back after a poor pass. He had a point.

If Culverhouse wants the crowd to lay off his payers, then it's his job to send players out who are ready to fight. Back to my original point that Lambert should drill the basics into the team. Blaming the fans - who spend thousands and get absolutely no return for it other than merciless piss-taking from colleagues and friends - is a red herring.

Nobody thanked the Villa fans for beating Liverpool a few weeks ago... 

Online Drummond

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 02:52:39 PM »

If Culverhouse wants the crowd to lay off his payers, then it's his job to send players out who are ready to fight. Back to my original point that Lambert should drill the basics into the team.

Nobody thanked the Villa fans for beating Liverpool a few weeks ago...

Ok, let's say I agree. Who do we play? There are no leaders on the pitch to help and the kids' confidence is shot. Who and how?

Lambert has praised the fans repeatedly this season, saying how brilliant they've been and how great the support has been for the players.

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2013, 02:57:52 PM »
Ok, let's say I agree. Who do we play? There are no leaders on the pitch to help and the kids' confidence is shot. Who and how?

I have no idea. But then again, I wouldn't have adopted the "young and hungry" strategy that Lambert has. Surely he's considered the fact that a team of kids will need someone to look to for guidance?

Surely?

Online Drummond

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 03:01:37 PM »
You'd have thought so. Lerner wanted young players, presumably to keep the wage bill down. Lambert has worked with inexperienced players before, the momentum he built with Norwich was very impressive.

Maybe he (mistakenly) thought that the likes of Dunne, N'Zogbia, Ireland, Bent and Gabby would be those leaders, not to mention our new captain.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 03:07:49 PM »
Again, I can see the points Mr D is making here.  However, his biggest single failure in my opinion has been a refusal to acknowledge his mistakes - he seems an overtly stubborn man (where have we seen that trait before), and this has manifested itself in the continuing alienation of the senior players in the squad.  I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn of a dressing room split between experienced players and the youngsters.

Online Drummond

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 03:14:55 PM »
The only thing I can see is that those very same players that have been 'alienated' are the ones we all said weren't fit to wear the shirt last year.

Sometimes in management you have to be stubborn, let's hope it doesn't lead to his downfall.

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2013, 03:15:44 PM »
The full statement from Randy Lerner is here: http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/aston-villa-fc/2013/01/28/villa-chief-randy-lerner-breaks-silence-over-paul-lambert/ … via @ExpressAndStar #AVFC

Courtesy of Tim Abraham!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal