collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:38:11 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Gareth
[Today at 08:27:22 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:38:11 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:34:31 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Gareth
[Today at 08:27:22 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:26:47 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 08:15:22 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by algy
[Today at 08:02:52 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 6 Nations 2013  (Read 46848 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: 6 Nations 2013
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 08:29:48 PM »
I think you need someone with a bit of unpredictability at 10 or 12.  Will Greenwood provided that during our best years, which allowed the others to be steady influences, its also why Autralia have managed to stay near the top of the world for years despite having a very average pack, and it's why Carter is a big part of NZ going from a decent side who never quite made the leap to being world cup winners.  At the crunch games you need your pack to provide a platform but you also need inspiration, our current tactic is based around Goode stepping in from the back to provide it, which may work but given we have the likes of Burns, Twelvetrees (he can be as good as Greenwood in my opinion) and Joseph in the squad I'd rather not rely on our fullback making things happen in midfield.

I've taken the thread over a little though.  Lets see how he lines us up on Saturday, I might be doing him a disservice.

Online nigel

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 07:57:50 AM »
I think you need someone with a bit of unpredictability at 10 or 12.  Will Greenwood provided that during our best years, which allowed the others to be steady influences, its also why Autralia have managed to stay near the top of the world for years despite having a very average pack, and it's why Carter is a big part of NZ going from a decent side who never quite made the leap to being world cup winners.  At the crunch games you need your pack to provide a platform but you also need inspiration, our current tactic is based around Goode stepping in from the back to provide it, which may work but given we have the likes of Burns, Twelvetrees (he can be as good as Greenwood in my opinion) and Joseph in the squad I'd rather not rely on our fullback making things happen in midfield.

I've taken the thread over a little though.  Lets see how he lines us up on Saturday, I might be doing him a disservice.

You haven't really, Paul. You seem to have a good knowledge of the players and rugby in general. Did you play the game?

I agree that the one thing we, England, has lacked in recent time is the 'Unpredictability' of a player.
You mentioned Will Greenwood, but also Jason Robinson. Remember his try v Wales in 2003? I don't think anyone expected him to take on that run.
JR has to be my favourite England player of all time. His play seemed to mirror very much how I played, winger to fullback etc.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 08:16:38 AM »
You haven't really, Paul. You seem to have a good knowledge of the players and rugby in general. Did you play the game?

Yes, played at a decent standard for about 10 years (mainly at 8 ) and I'm a qualified coach and referee.

Foden reminds me a lot of Robinson, not quite as nippy over 10yards but looks for gaps in the same way and has similar fluid movement.  We have a youngster coming through who will be better though, he's only really in his first season at the top level but London Irish have a kid called Anthony Watson who is a bit special.  If they can keep him grounded and get the rest of his game up to standard he's a superstar in the making.

The difference though, Greenwood created gaps whereas Robinson exploited gaps.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 02:34:46 PM by paul_e »

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 02:31:38 PM »
I still want to see Freddie Burns starting. I dont know what more he can do to justify his inclusion in the starting line up.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 02:55:48 PM »
I still want to see Freddie Burns starting. I dont know what more he can do to justify his inclusion in the starting line up.

Move from Gloucester ?

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 06:38:50 PM »
Well, if International recognition if what he desires, you might be right...

Fucking Leicester mafia.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 09:58:20 PM »
Stay fit.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 05:47:11 AM »
Come on Scotland... Please win at least one game.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 09:58:24 AM »
Why is strettle in the squad, what possible benefit is he going to bring from the bench?  Foden or Joseph would've provided an impact and a scoring threat, Strettle is a winger who can't finish, if you want him to be defensively solid and work hard then start him, but ashton, brown and goode are clearly his back 3 of choice, a defensive winger on the bench is a really strange choice.

Offline Dave Summers

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 12:38:36 PM »
I too would like to see Freddie Burns in the 23, but if he isn't fit then he can't be picked.

Can't deny I am disappointed that Joseph has been released back to his club by Lancaster, was really looking forward to seeing how he shaped up on Saturday.  However, I am now very intrigued to see what Twelvetrees brings to the party and feel his wide passing game will be able to bring in Goode, Brown and Ashton into play beautifully.

It appears that the team will be : Marler, Youngs, Cole, Launchbury, Parling, Wood, Robshaw, Morgan, Youngs, Farrell, Twelvetrees, Barritt, Brown, Ashton, Goode.

I don't think we can argue too much because the guys who played against New Zealand deserve the chance to back up what was probably the best 80 mins I have ever seen from an England side.

If Twelvetrees goes as well as we hope and then Manu is fit for Ireland we have got a conundrum, which is as it should be.  Twelvetrees with Manu sounds quite appetising in attack and to be fair Barritt has gone to another level in the last 3 months and is playing superbly.  All good options.

On a personal note, the good old ERSC came through with some late tickets yesterday and I find myself off to Twickenham again this weekend, can't wait.

England by 12, Wales by 3, France by 15 this weekend.

Overall I believe England and France will be top with 4 wins and 1 defeat and may even find Wales with that record too.

Enjoy everyone !!!

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 12:59:36 PM »
It's on again, the big one; can (current 5 Nations Champions) Scotland finish above Italy?!?!

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 03:06:02 PM »
I got offered tickets for Saturday at Twickenham. I turned them down such is my Villa related depression now.  I do have Italy tickets by which time I may be on the mend.

Saturday, can't see it going any other way than an England win, no tries for Scotland, England by 15.

Offline Mac

• Heroes And Villains
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 09:34:27 PM »
I'm off to see the French.  Should be the decider in my opinion. Pity it's a 5 o'clock kick off.  Too much drinking time before.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2013, 09:34:16 AM »
I'm off to see the French.  Should be the decider in my opinion. Pity it's a 5 o'clock kick off.  Too much drinking time before.

Me too. I wouldn't have used the word pity though.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2013, 11:23:44 AM »
Twelvetrees starts which is good. Overall I'm fairly happy with that team, hopefully it'll do the job.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal