collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sack the defensive coaches  (Read 7309 times)

Offline old man villa fan

Re: Sack the defensive coaches
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2013, 04:52:32 PM »
The number of times the ball has come in from corners and our players get underneath it with the opposition player coming in behind and having a free jump at the ball.  The players are misjudging the flight of the ball and then not reacting to it.  If you cannot get to ball you make sure that you do your utmost to put the opposition player off by backing into him or pushing him a little.  The trouble is that once our players are beaten, they give up.

Offline devilla

• GM : Nov, 2012
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2013, 12:06:26 AM »
The corner for Millwall's first goal is how you should take them. Bannan's are just too easy to defend.

Westwood is way better at corners than Bannan. The useless sod takes everything!

I've said this in a couple of other threads. I just don't see why Bannan is allowed to take all our corners when he's playing. I've watched bits of Stoke Man City and Oldham Liverpool this weekend and no other team takes these shitty ballooned corners. I don't know whether the thinking is that somebody can head the ball back across the area but I think its more likely that Bannan is just shit. Isn't it better to whip it in with pace for somebody to attack?

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2013, 12:12:30 AM »
The corner for Millwall's first goal is how you should take them. Bannan's are just too easy to defend.

Westwood is way better at corners than Bannan. The useless sod takes everything!

I've said this in a couple of other threads. I just don't see why Bannan is allowed to take all our corners when he's playing. I've watched bits of Stoke Man City and Oldham Liverpool this weekend and no other team takes these shitty ballooned corners. I don't know whether the thinking is that somebody can head the ball back across the area but I think its more likely that Bannan is just shit. Isn't it better to whip it in with pace for somebody to attack?

Clearly Lambert thinks he's good at set pieces. I'd sack him for that alone.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2013, 05:48:54 PM »
Just watched the ITV FA Cup highlights show, they did at least show the Villa goals (first chance I've had to see them).

Milwall's first goal: corner comes in and Shittu, who looks like a 7 ft tall mountain, is marked by Lowton(?)! Why not Vlaar or even Bent? It's the simplest thing to put your biggest man on their biggest man.

2nd goal: a straightforward cross comes into the box and Clark completely lost his man who, in three yards of space, headed onto the bar and then in.

It's all so basic!

Desi,

From where I was standing it looked like Lichaj marking him. Your point is correct though.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2013, 05:49:53 PM »
And does anybody know what Glenn Roeder is up to these days?

Offline Rancid custard

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2013, 06:07:18 PM »
I'd bring in Laursen, because heaven knows I don't even think we have a defensive coach. I'd also make it compulsory for every defender we have to watch the entirety of God's back catalogue of games for us, 5 a day, every day for the rest of their contracts and tell them not to watch the pretty goals, just look at that colossus at the back for 90 minutes.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2013, 06:22:57 PM »
And Lichaj didn't exactly bust a gut to stop him did he? Regardless of height we need to be braver defending corners too.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2013, 08:05:18 PM »
What do our coaches see in training when Bannan puts those corners in? Because if it's anything other than constantly finding the head of a striker or central defender on his side, they need to be put in front of an industrial tribunal for misrepresentation.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2013, 09:00:46 PM »
Not sure about the height issue.  Apart from  their centre backs Man Yoo are hardly a team of giants but they manage to defend set pieces pretty well.  Evra is, what, about 5'9" or 5'10" if that, and regularly gets on the end of the ball at both ends. 

I think our players have been coached to follow the man so intently that they forget to look for the ball.  If you are going to man mark you probably have to do it the Stoke way, stop the bloke from going anywhere.  If you chase him around, he knows where the ball is intended to go and it's easy for him to throw a feint to gain half a yard and lose the defender at the last second.  And that's exactly what's been happening.  It's amateurish, and whoever is coaching them this way is bloody clueless. 

I'm another who thinks you need a couple of players, preferably big units,  who will just watch the ball and go hell for leather for it, wherever it is directed, Laursen stylee.  And I agree, Bannan should be nowhere near set pieces and Clark is a pants defender.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2013, 09:17:06 PM »
Unfortunately, I feel that under Lambert this is what we'll have to get used to. He strikes me as a man who will stick with what he's got even if it's proven to be rubbish, because he chose it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal