collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sack the defensive coaches  (Read 7306 times)

Offline mikeb1982

Re: Sack the defensive coaches
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 08:20:51 AM »
DANNY SHITTU has admitted Aston Villa’s defenders BEGGED him not to score another goal on Friday night.

The 6ft 3in Millwall powerhouse towered above tiny Villa to head in the equaliser from a corner in the Lions’ 2-1 FA Cup win.

Defender Shittu said: “I was surprised because their guys were really small and the player they put on me always looked really worried, so it was surprising.

“He was begging me not to get another goal.

“Villa did not look vulnerable just at the back — it was the whole team.”

Sounds like the usual London-centric wank-rag journalism

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 08:21:38 AM »
I think the whole situation could be an ecumenical matter.
Drink.
Arse - It explains everything!

Someone needs to kick our Bishop Brennan up the arse.

Offline F. Austin Purcell

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 08:51:04 AM »
Just reached the thread where this has been posted sorry! At least it led me to some light hearted Father Ted memories though. I think I'll put A Song for Europe on now.

Offline Desi

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 09:46:20 AM »
Just watched the ITV FA Cup highlights show, they did at least show the Villa goals (first chance I've had to see them).

Milwall's first goal: corner comes in and Shittu, who looks like a 7 ft tall mountain, is marked by Lowton(?)! Why not Vlaar or even Bent? It's the simplest thing to put your biggest man on their biggest man.

2nd goal: a straightforward cross comes into the box and Clark completely lost his man who, in three yards of space, headed onto the bar and then in.

It's all so basic!

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 10:25:42 AM »
Who are our defensive coaches? I thought all managers started at the back, the cornerstone of the team and once that is right work on the rest of the team.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 11:09:05 AM »
I'd pay a team, such as Solihull Moors, to come in and to take corner after corner after corner against us and we just defend set piece after set piece. I'd do this for a few days solid. Nothing else, just defending corners.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2013, 11:13:50 AM »
I think in training we practice corners with Bannan taking them. Hence why we're so shit at corners at both ends.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2013, 11:21:10 AM »
The corner for Millwall's first goal is how you should take them. Bannan's are just too easy to defend.

Online ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2013, 11:23:10 AM »
The corner for Millwall's first goal is how you should take them. Bannan's are just too easy to defend.

Westwood is way better at corners than Bannan. The useless sod takes everything!

Offline onje_villa

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2013, 11:24:15 AM »
I'm sorry but the ONLY way to defend corners is to attack the fucking ball.
Big bloke on the front stick and fight to get your head to it. That's what you do, there is no other way.

Case study: Martin fucking Laursen. Amen.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2013, 11:28:55 AM »
Back in Ye Olden Tymes, when I used to run around on a Sunday morning, a mate I played with always said, "hit a corner like you'd hit a shot". Probably about the only thing he ever said that wasn't bollocks

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2013, 11:29:11 AM »
We haven't had anyone defensively who attacks corners and free kicks all season. This is why we've missed Dunne so much - he will make a difference when he's back as that's exactly what he does.

The other issue of course is that Ciaran Clark is not a central defender. He is so often on his heels and lacking in anticipation, it's emabrassing. The only time he does get close enough, he's holding on to players' shirts. A really poor player in that position imho.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2013, 11:53:32 AM »

Offline andyaston

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2013, 01:22:01 PM »
We haven't had anyone defensively who attacks corners and free kicks all season. This is why we've missed Dunne so much - he will make a difference when he's back as that's exactly what he does.

The other issue of course is that Ciaran Clark is not a central defender. He is so often on his heels and lacking in anticipation, it's emabrassing. The only time he does get close enough, he's holding on to players' shirts. A really poor player in that position imho.
Nail on the head. Clark is probably the worst centre half since Steve Sims for being caught on the turn. If he continues to play at the back we will go down he costs us a goal a game.

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2013, 04:25:15 PM »
You mean we`ve actually got one??!! :o....

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal