collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

150 celebrations by chrisw1
[Today at 11:33:07 AM]

Peter McParland 90 today by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 11:32:10 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 11:31:32 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 11:26:04 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:24:59 AM]

NSWE Investment by chrisw1
[Today at 11:24:56 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:24:30 AM]

Champions League Contention by chrisw1
[Today at 11:01:23 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Proof of how weak we at the back....  (Read 7513 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Proof of how weak we at the back....
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 01:57:26 PM »
I reckon it's factually bollocks but metaphorically accurate

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 02:07:33 PM »
Jesus H fucking titty christ, all we need now is for every single person who's ever played for Villa to be arrested in the Jimmy Savile investigation and the bad news for the year will be complete.

Cheers mate, the first smile I've had for a while.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 02:08:01 PM »
Anybody else starting to go beyond anger? I posted something about this yesterday.

Last season made me so angry.

This season is actually starting to fascinate me. It is so so bad it is almost hard to be angry.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 02:09:30 PM »
Anybody else starting to go beyond anger? I posted something about this yesterday.

Last season made me so angry.

This season is actually starting to fascinate me. It is so so bad it is almost hard to be angry.

exactly the same here,  it doesn't seem real. The team has been in chaos from day one.

Offline German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 02:11:04 PM »
Haven't we got enough real problems, without believing this cocksocket's made-up bullshit?

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2013, 02:13:21 PM »
Crap thread with rubbish title starting with word "Proof" FFS haw useless are we on this forum to pick up any shit that's flying out there and take it as gospel? Can you seriously believe that any footballer on the pitch would utter those words to an opposition?

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2013, 02:16:39 PM »
Crap thread with rubbish title starting with word "Proof" FFS haw useless are we on this forum to pick up any shit that's flying out there and take it as gospel? Can you seriously believe that any footballer on the pitch would utter those words to an opposition?

We know it's bollocks but the 'they looked so vulnerable everywhere' and instruction to attack set pieces because they 'looked small' etc is plausible because we can see that ourselves.

Offline mr woo

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2013, 02:18:20 PM »
Vlaar 1.89m , Clark 1.88m, Bennett 1.77m, Lichaj 1.8m, Lowton 1.8m, N'Zogbia 1.70m, Westwood 1.75m, Delph 1.75m, Bent 1.8m, Weimann 1.79m

Averages out at 1.79m or just over 5'10" in yer old money.

Significantly though, take Vlaar and Clark out of the equation and the average shrinks to 5'9" . That's a small side, without wee Barry Bannan too.
Lack of height is something a lot of us mentioned before the season even started. Its also something Harry Redknapp sussed out years ago at Portsmouth, I recall him deliberately filling the side with tall, strong athletic players.

If we don't buy anyone it's difficult to correct. That's why I would put Clark in midfield when Dunne or Baker are fit to partner Vlaar.

(and I think the player marking Shittu was Lichaj according to quotes in the match thread)

Online Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2013, 03:02:10 PM »
I can't take anyone serious who's name is Shittu.

Offline Fasth56

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2013, 03:29:49 PM »
I reckon it's factually bollocks but metaphorically accurate

Exactly

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2013, 04:52:50 PM »
http://www.newsatden.co.uk/12894-millwall-captain-shittu-aston-villa-defender-begged-me-not-to-score-again.html

DANNY Shittu revealed one of Aston Villa's defenders begged him for mercy after the defensive powerhouse scored from a corner in Millwall's FA Cup triumph on Friday.
Shittu produced a dominant performance at both ends of the pitch to inspire the Lions to a famous fourth round victory over the Premier League side in front of an ecstatic crowd at The Den.
The Millwall captain scored a crucial equaliser to cancel out Darren Bent's opener for the visitors - and he believed Paul Lambert's side were scared of his physical presence.
"I was surprised because most of their defenders were kind of small," Shittu said. "The guy they put on me looked really worried. In the second-half he was begging me not to score another goal.
"It was about time I scored. I think this is the first time the manager has told to go up for every set-piece and it was nice to be back up there again. I'm usually on the half-way line.
"Their whole team looked vulnerable. We expected more from them to be honest because they are a Premier League side. Don't get me wrong, they did well but they gave us time to play.
"Normally in the Championship you don't get that much time to bring the ball down. It was still a really hard game and it certainly wasn't easy.
"I'm enjoying playing for the club and I'm enjoying defending. This is what I do. We're really happy to have done this against a Premier League side."
John Marquis struck a late winner to secure Millwall's spot in the fifth round draw on Sunday and Shittu is hoping for another home tie.
He said: "I do not really mind who we draw, as long as we play them at The Den. Whoever comes here will find it very hard. These fans really get on the opposition's backs."
If that quote is true, someone needs to think about a career change.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2013, 05:00:28 PM »
I believe every word that leaves the average Aussie sportsmen's mouth...

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2013, 05:08:27 PM »
It could have been a bit of a joke, that's been taken literally rather than begging for mercy.

Offline eastie

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2013, 05:09:38 PM »
It could have been a bit of a joke, that's been taken literally rather than begging for mercy.

Probably right .

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2013, 05:31:52 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal