collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Why was McLeish sacked?  (Read 39908 times)

Offline Irish villain

Re: Why was McLeish sacked?
« Reply #210 on: April 06, 2014, 11:39:44 PM »
The first season of O'Leary we went on a really good run startig just after Christmas when we beat Blackburn 2-0 at Ewood Park. The 93rd minute winner at Boro was a good result with ten men too.

We saw what O'Leary could do without money though, which was struggle.

O'Leary, like Grogory and O'Neill had an advantage in that they were inheriting squads that had the likes of Yorke, Southgate, Taylor, Barry, Mellberg, JPA, Laursen in them, it gives you something to start with.

O'Leary bought Bouma, Laursen, Sorenson. But yes, he inherited a good squad. He also left behind a decent squad full of internationals.

He, like Ellis, is being made to look much better than we was and is because things have been allowed to get so bad the past number of years.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #211 on: April 07, 2014, 08:14:17 AM »
Our fans are totally fickle though. O'Leary was completely right.

Big deal. All football fans are fickle. It goes with the territory.

Be that as it may, it doesn't negate O'Leary's statement.

O'Leary was talking out his arse. He was calling me fickle, as I was one of the hundred or so that were moving to the drinks bar, which as anybody who has been to Adam's Park knows is on the right hand side by the turnstiles.

I objected to being called fickle to be honest, as I am sure the majority of the supporters nipping off to get in the queue would too, especially as we had travelled in good numbers on a mid-week for a second round tie.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #212 on: April 07, 2014, 08:19:47 AM »
McLeish was sacked because his position was untenable once the fans turned on him after the Bolton game. I am surprised this hasn't happened already with Lambert.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #213 on: April 07, 2014, 08:34:49 AM »
McLeish was sacked because his position was untenable once the fans turned on him after the Bolton game. I am surprised this hasn't happened already with Lambert.

As I have stated before I can't be bothered to want him out(Lambert) as the liklihood with this board we will manage to hire someone worse.

Offline Fred

« Reply #214 on: April 07, 2014, 01:49:28 PM »

i remember reading that Lerner was shocked by the reaction of the crowd after the Bolton game, there has not been that type of reaction yet to Lambert. Perhaps there might be if we lose and play badly against Southampton?

Offline supertom

« Reply #215 on: April 07, 2014, 02:20:31 PM »

i remember reading that Lerner was shocked by the reaction of the crowd after the Bolton game, there has not been that type of reaction yet to Lambert. Perhaps there might be if we lose and play badly against Southampton?
Was Randy at the Bolton game in person? That may be a small part of what swayed him.

How many games as he seen at VP this season, in the ground? Sometimes you have to be there to see it. And honestly, do we think he sits in America watching every game on TV or his computer? I'm not sure. It's hard to watch at times. I can imagine he may simply opt for highlights some times.

You can't really fully appreciate the atmosphere inside a ground, without being in the ground. The fact we never see him really doesn't help do anything but give the impression he's only interested in the business aspects now, and his hearts not really into it any deeper. The first few years he came to most of the games.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #216 on: April 07, 2014, 04:51:30 PM »

Was Randy at the Bolton game in person? That may be a small part of what swayed him.

How many games as he seen at VP this season, in the ground? Sometimes you have to be there to see it. And honestly, do we think he sits in America watching every game on TV or his computer? I'm not sure. It's hard to watch at times. I can imagine he may simply opt for highlights some times.

You can't really fully appreciate the atmosphere inside a ground, without being in the ground. The fact we never see him really doesn't help do anything but give the impression he's only interested in the business aspects now, and his hearts not really into it any deeper. The first few years he came to most of the games.

He was at the Bolton game. I have little doubt that was the nail in the coffin.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #217 on: April 07, 2014, 04:56:25 PM »

Mcleish was never wanted by the fans - Lambert was the fans choice.

Offline Brian Taylor

« Reply #218 on: April 07, 2014, 05:28:48 PM »

McL lost it for my with the statement that a draw against a team of L'Pool's calibre went down as a win in his book!! Pule were less than good at the rime!

Offline Fred

« Reply #219 on: April 07, 2014, 06:01:37 PM »
The reaction after most games is to boo, there has not been a reaction like the one against Bolton.
I suspect if we lost to Southampton that might make a diffrence but if Lerner is not there then perhaps it won't.

Imagine if Mcl had done some of the things Lambert has?
Gone out to Bradford, lost 8-0 at Chelsea and lost 10 at VP.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #220 on: April 07, 2014, 08:17:01 PM »
We would have run out of bed-sheets!

Offline supertom

« Reply #221 on: April 07, 2014, 08:26:24 PM »

He was at the Bolton game. I have little doubt that was the nail in the coffin.
I just wonder if Randy's keeping his head in the sand a little bit this season. He knows it's shit but at the same time I'm quite sure as long as we survive that will be good enough for the books.
I don't think Randy wants to pay off another manager. I also think in hiring Lambert he may think he's got a manager on board who, if the worst came to it, could be trusted to bring the club back up if we got relegated.
I don't see Lambert going anywhere.
It'd be nice though if Randy came out to remind us that he's even alive. And as a football club owner, sometimes you have to stick your head through the hole so the spectators can throw wet sponges at you. Randy sightings will soon become akin to bigfoot.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #222 on: April 07, 2014, 08:42:15 PM »

Not for me. I found the singing aimed at him at Carrow rd nauseating and almost walked out
Crap manager who should never have got the job

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal