collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Why was McLeish sacked?  (Read 39904 times)

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Why was McLeish sacked?
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 12:30:14 PM »
Our current squad will really struggle against championship sides, as will be proven tonight.

Even if we win tonight, you'd guess that the players who'd make the difference for us would be off in the summer, should we go down.

Offline myf

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 12:36:36 PM »
Our current squad will really struggle against championship sides, as will be proven tonight.

Bradford aside it hasn't really struggled in recent league/FA cup games.

Offline neo_Villan

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 12:37:11 PM »
Just to make clear, I am not claiming he shouldn't have been sacked or he was a good manager. I just don't think him being unpopular had anything to do with it considering they don't give a toss what we think.

Offline eastie

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 12:39:21 PM »

Hasnt struggled in recent league games ?
Six games without a win , 2 points in 18 and 4 wins in 22 games!

If that isnt struggling what the hell is?

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 12:43:06 PM »
I think he meant league cup and FA cup games.  And he's right.

Offline eastie

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 12:45:27 PM »

Apart from the cup games against lower league sides which saw narrow wins over ipswich and swindon , we beat a norwich team of 6 changes and man city team with 9 changes .

We saw what happened when we played their 1st choice teams in the league .

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 12:50:17 PM »

Apart from the cup games against lower league sides which saw narrow wins over ipswich and swindon , we beat a norwich team of 6 changes and man city team with 9 changes .

We saw what happened when we played their 1st choice teams in the league .

We still beat them though and that Man City cup team stick probably cost something like £200m to put together.

When things are bad, we don't really need to add to it by saying the good things were really bad things as well!

Offline neo_Villan

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 12:50:47 PM »

I'm not sure the cups are and indicator of the lower leagues though. Most lower league teams don't take the cups too seriously.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 12:54:22 PM »

I'm not sure the cups are and indicator of the lower leagues though. Most lower league teams don't take the cups too seriously.

Swindon took it pretty seriously, on the other hand we only narrowly beat them.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 12:57:06 PM »
I think he was sacked because they realised it was all a huge mistake in the first place.  The football he presented wasn't good to watch, wasn't successful, wasn't progressive and was designed not to lose rather than to try and win.  There appeared to be little chance of it ever developing.  McLeish  simply didn't have the ability, knowledge  or imagination do it any other way. 

Lambert on the other hand appeared to have a long term strategy that involved modern tactical thinking, developing young players in the right way, and playing an entertaining game based on passing and moving.  In theory it was the right call. Up to the Chelsea game things were iffy but looked like they were improving, and I think after the Liverpool game most of us probably thought we would just about be okay this season and then build on it next season when a few more of the higher earners were off the books.

I don't think anyone could have predicted just how spectacularly tits up it would go, but it's hard to see how Lambert is going to turn it around without new players and a long hard look at his "tactics".

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2013, 01:00:43 PM »
I think he was sacked because they realised it was all a huge mistake in the first place.  The football he presented wasn't good to watch, wasn't successful, wasn't progressive and was designed not to lose rather than to try and win.  There appeared to be little chance of it ever developing.  McLeish  simply didn't have the ability, knowledge  or imagination do it any other way. 

Lambert on the other hand appeared to have a long term strategy that involved modern tactical thinking, developing young players in the right way, and playing an entertaining game based on passing and moving.  In theory it was the right call. Up to the Chelsea game things were iffy but looked like they were improving, and I think after the Liverpool game most of us probably thought we would just about be okay this season and then build on it next season when a few more of the higher earners were off the books.

I don't think anyone could have predicted just how spectacularly tits up it would go, but it's hard to see how Lambert is going to turn it around without new players and a long hard look at his "tactics".

Excellent summation.

Offline Lee

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/BlackCountryVilla/
  • GM : Jul, 2014
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2013, 01:06:48 PM »
 The Cylons were created by man. They rebelled. They evolved. There are many copies. And they have a plan.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2013, 01:11:05 PM »
Actually looking at the "Villa have accepted relegation"  thread, maybe Lerner wanted relegation last year and McLeish was sacked for failing?

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2013, 01:20:45 PM »

Excellent summation.

Agreed.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2013, 01:21:16 PM »
We're covering old ground again here, aren't we?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal