collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Why was McLeish sacked?  (Read 39850 times)

Offline neo_Villan

Why was McLeish sacked?
« on: January 25, 2013, 12:08:41 PM »
It is worth asking given recent developments.                                                                                      Many had hoped that it was a way of making it up to the fans who had been so disappointed with his appointment in the first place. A way of winning back the hearts and minds of Villans who had started to seriously question the Lerner regime for the first time. This idea is backed up by the fact they hired one of the fan's choices to replace him. However, with it confirmed that Lambert will be staying even when (not if) he takes us down (when this happens, he will be as equally unpopular as McLeish, if not more) and the club won't even try to put up a fight in the face of relegation, it looks like our views are still not of any concern to the board.                                                                              Another theory is that McLeish was sacked to preserve season-ticket sales which presumably would have nose-dived had he stayed. But what do they think will happen to attendences when the club are in the Championship? Yet, they will not invest to give us a fighting chance of avoiding this scenario!                                                                                        Another reason suggested is that he was sacked because we went too close to relegation for comfort. Having told Lambert his job is safe if we go down again dispells this.                                                                                            I have given up trying to understand the decisions taken by this regime if I'm honest. Their words and actions continually contradict one another and I can only assume that they don't have any sort of coherent plan for our club.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 12:26:49 PM by neo_Villan »

Offline eastie

Re: Why was McLeish sacked?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 12:14:15 PM »
Because he wasnt good enough - no problem with that .
Why lambert hasnt been sacked is the question , he has been far worse results wise.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 12:15:25 PM »
Tend to agree ,what point of sacking but giving new boss no funds to fix squad especially after all the PR posturing of not letting us get that close to relegation again ?

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 12:15:27 PM »
He should have been sacked because was useless and always the wrong appointment. Why he was sacked? who knows with the lack of brains on our board.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 12:18:38 PM »
a) Because he wasn't up to the job

b) Because we the fans didn't want him in the first place (and it was because of where he came from)

Offline myf

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 12:21:09 PM »
McLeish was sacked because he wasn't good enough and was hated by the fans.  Lambert is safe because Randy thinks we need stability, he can't afford to sack him and, despite rumblings, broadly has the fans support.

Offline Merv

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 12:21:25 PM »
I know where you're heading with this, but anyway...

He was sacked because he was a bewilderingly poor choice, results and performances were worsening, he'd lost the support of the crowd.

Paul Lambert was appointed because he was deemed - widely deemed - to be a far more capable manager. It was a sensible decision. He was given £25m to spend on revamping the squad in the summer, so he was financially supported, to a degree.

Things haven't worked out this season, obviously. But I still believe the two decisions - McLeish going, Lambert coming in - were right at the time.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 12:22:36 PM »
I'd say the point about the season ticket sales being affected is closest to the mark.

Lambert was appointed because with Norwich he'd took a team of championship standard players and kept them in the Premier League.  It was hoped he'd do the same with Villa while hopefully uncovering a gem or two along the way.  It's not working but I think Randy has decided that we may need to go down to 'come back stronger'.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 12:23:09 PM »
a) Because he wasn't up to the job

b) Because we the fans didn't want him in the first place (and it was because of where he came from)

Speak for yourself, I would have had Houghton in an instant.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 12:23:28 PM »
McLeish kept us up which will look good on his cv now

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 12:23:59 PM »
Agreed, which is a nonsensical plan. I think they're looking at Newcastle, but they might be the only club ever to do that.

Offline Apyadg

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 12:24:23 PM »
It's not working but I think Randy has decided that we may need to go down to 'come back stronger'.

If he thinks that, he's a bigger idiot than I'd given him credit for.

Offline Merv

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 12:26:08 PM »
And West Ham, I guess.

But then there's M'Boro, Leeds, Forest, Wolves (so far), Birmingham, Derby, Sheff Wed, Sheff Utd... decent sized clubs who have really struggled.

Offline eastie

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 12:26:23 PM »
I'd say the point about the season ticket sales being affected is closest to the mark.

Lambert was appointed because with Norwich he'd took a team of championship standard players and kept them in the Premier League.  It was hoped he'd do the same with Villa while hopefully uncovering a gem or two along the way.  It's not working but I think Randy has decided that we may need to go down to 'come back stronger'.

Once a big club slides it is hard to stop - i would be amazed if we came back up or got anywhere near the play  offs.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 12:28:53 PM »
Our current squad will really struggle against championship sides, as will be proven tonight.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal