collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Jacob Ramsey by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 05:46:28 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by villabear
[Today at 04:37:35 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Rory
[Today at 04:07:17 AM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by olaftab
[Today at 02:42:51 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 02:30:08 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by aj2k77
[Today at 02:00:12 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Pete3206
[Today at 01:38:56 AM]

Re: Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Rory
[Today at 01:30:04 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Have the club accepted relegation?  (Read 38103 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Have the club accepted relegation?
« on: January 24, 2013, 11:44:48 PM »
Not seen this posted elsewhere this evening, but this is by far the most depressing thing I've read coming out of the club, and makes it pretty clear, we've accepted our relegation, and are trying to minimise the damage.

Proud history, bright future, kids, and don't forget to snap up your tickets for the Newcastle clash!!!!

Paul Lambert: "If you don’t manage to stay in the league and you’ve spent loads of money then what does that do to your club if it goes down?

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert says he isn't optimistic about new signings and transfers could leave club in trouble if they go down

Paul Lambert doubts Aston Villa will make a signing in the next week, claiming a spending spree would threaten the club’s future if they splashed out and still went down.

Asked if he was optimistic there would be any new faces before the transfer window slams shut next Thursday, Lambert replied: “No, not really.”

Questioned on whether there were actually any deals in the offing or ‘irons in the fire’, the Villa boss gave the same answer, “No, not realy.”

Lambert went on to explain Villa would not be following the example of relegation rivals QPR, Newcastle and Southampton, who are all in the process of strengthening their squads.

The reason being, he suggested, was because adding to Villa’s expenditure this month would leave the club in an even more parlous financial position, if they were still relegated.

“I think that’s everybody else’s prerogative,” said Lambert.

“I don’t think I can ever worry about what other teams are doing. I can understand teams doing it.

“But if you don’t manage to stay in the league and you’ve spent loads of money then what does that do to your club if it goes down? Does that put the club’s future at risk? I don’t want to do that to this club, that’s for sure.”

When asked if Villa had actually bid for any players this month, Lambert replied: “We’ve spoken to a few lads and a few teams, but the finances were way too high.”

He was questioned further about whether the transfer fees asked by clubs or wage demands of players were proving to be the main the stumbling block.

“Both,” was his response.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-manager-paul-lambert-1241001
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 01:02:44 PM by Legion »

Offline Greg N'Ash

Re: The club have accepted relegation.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 11:48:26 PM »
more depressing by far was the smug git telling the world he's safe if we get relegated

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 11:48:29 PM »
Haven't we all accepted it yet?

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 11:49:14 PM »
Fucking hell. More depressing reading that than the day we appointed Eck.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 11:49:38 PM »
"We're not going to spend money trying not to get relegated, in case it doesn't work"

Fuck off, Lerner.

Offline dekko

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 11:51:58 PM »
Unbelievable

Offline AvFc4eVeR

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 11:54:25 PM »
Not seen this posted elsewhere this evening, but this is by far the most depressing thing I've read coming out of the club, and makes it pretty clear, we've accepted our relegation, and are trying to minimise the damage.

Proud history, bright future, kids, and don't forget to snap up your tickets for the Newcastle clash!!!!

Paul Lambert: "If you don’t manage to stay in the league and you’ve spent loads of money then what does that do to your club if it goes down?

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert says he isn't optimistic about new signings and transfers could leave club in trouble if they go down

Paul Lambert doubts Aston Villa will make a signing in the next week, claiming a spending spree would threaten the club’s future if they splashed out and still went down.

Asked if he was optimistic there would be any new faces before the transfer window slams shut next Thursday, Lambert replied: “No, not really.”

Questioned on whether there were actually any deals in the offing or ‘irons in the fire’, the Villa boss gave the same answer, “No, not realy.”

Lambert went on to explain Villa would not be following the example of relegation rivals QPR, Newcastle and Southampton, who are all in the process of strengthening their squads.

The reason being, he suggested, was because adding to Villa’s expenditure this month would leave the club in an even more parlous financial position, if they were still relegated.

“I think that’s everybody else’s prerogative,” said Lambert.

“I don’t think I can ever worry about what other teams are doing. I can understand teams doing it.

“But if you don’t manage to stay in the league and you’ve spent loads of money then what does that do to your club if it goes down? Does that put the club’s future at risk? I don’t want to do that to this club, that’s for sure.”

When asked if Villa had actually bid for any players this month, Lambert replied: “We’ve spoken to a few lads and a few teams, but the finances were way too high.”

He was questioned further about whether the transfer fees asked by clubs or wage demands of players were proving to be the main the stumbling block.

“Both,” was his response.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-manager-paul-lambert-1241001

Well what is the point then?

All ST holders should ask for a partial refund, all tickets be returned, fans to stop buying merchandise, release all players and staff, close the gates of Villa Park and forget it ever happened!

That is what the above comments may have well read!

On another thread there is a debate about fan action, I think the time for that debate has now passed, and the action must begin, because if we don't.....

Who will?

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 11:56:11 PM »
Lerner, Faulkner, Lambchop - rotten from top to bottom.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 11:59:33 PM »
Jesus wept.  Just how bad can the finances be, for fucks sake?  I find it hard to believe that a man of Lerner's wealth can't find £10M to protect his investment.  It's as if they're going through a checklist of all the things a club should do if it wants to get relegated.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 12:00:17 AM »
What a fucking disgrace.

Offline nicardinho

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 12:02:09 AM »
I genuinely cannot believe what I've just read. I genuinely cannot believe that the club is now apparently so spineless at all levels.

Reading this, it is impossible to envisage an immediate return should we be relegated - after all, why spend money chasing promotion in case it doesn't pay off? We are the new Leeds.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 12:02:26 AM »

How depressing is that?

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 12:03:43 AM »

How depressing is that?
We were probably speaking to Danny Dichio and John Oster.

Offline peter w

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 12:04:50 AM »
Well I've accepted it. Maybe this was the mission creep I predicted all those years ago to the General when it was obvious he was trying to get a whole set of Stepford mums out of us.

richtheholtender

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 12:05:35 AM »
I wouldnt mind if we was cut off like QPR were. But we are currently the ones outside the relegation zone!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal