collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Our squad next season  (Read 5860 times)

Offline aj2k77

Our squad next season
« on: January 24, 2013, 11:46:49 AM »
If/when we go down with the finances already fucked and the likely fire sale that will take place, who will we have left.

Guzan
Given
Marshal

Bennett
Lowton
Hutton
Clarke
Stevens
Lichaj
Baker
Williams

Westwood
Bannan
Albrighton
Ireland
El Ahamadi
Johnson
Holman
Delph
Gardner
Carruthers
Herd

Bowery
Delfouneso
Agbonlahor
Burke

Anyone confident of getting promoted anytime soon with that rabble of ex academy players?

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Our squad next season
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 11:51:17 AM »
Not particularly, and also they'll be mentally scarred as well.

Offline placeforparks

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 11:52:19 AM »
mid-table championship squad there. lacks the guile to get promoted.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 11:54:11 AM »
Thing is that defence wouldn't be good enough for the Championship either.

Offline Apyadg

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 11:59:04 AM »
There's a good third of them that I wouldn't recognise if I walked past them in the street.

Offline placeforparks

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 12:08:25 PM »
There's a good third of them that I wouldn't recognise if I walked past them in the street.

just look out for the pricks with the garish fashion sense and ostentatious cars.

Offline neo_Villan

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 12:16:45 PM »
Frightening looking at that. In no way good enough to even make the play-off places. They lack spirit, bottle, confidence, character and leadership. Things all needed to make it out of the Championship. Can you imagine that lot at Millwall/Burnley/Huddersfield away on a wet Tuesday night? Not good. We'll be the next Forest when we go down I feel.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 12:18:30 PM by neo_Villan »

Offline Jarpie

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 12:18:41 PM »
Frightening looking at that. In no way good enough to even make the play-off places. They lack spirit, bottle, confidence, character and leadership. Things all needed to make it out of the Championship. Can you imagine that lot at Millwall/Burnley/Huddersfield away on a wet Tuesday night? Not good. We'll be the next Forest when we go down I feel.

More like next Portsmouth.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 12:26:29 PM »
Westwood could also be one of those sold.

I suspect that a profit could be turned on him in the summer

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 12:34:43 PM »
I think Vlaar, Benteke and Weimann would still be with us for the first season if it happens.

Offline pedro25

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 12:47:40 PM »
I think N'Zogbia could also stick around

Offline neo_Villan

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 12:50:30 PM »
I think Vlaar, Benteke and Weimann would still be with us for the first season if it happens.
I think Benteke 100% won't be. If Weimann continues as he is, then I'd doubt he will either. Clubs that go down hardly ever keep their top scorer/s. Let's remember also that Lerner will have no compulsion to flogging any assets we have to make up for the financial loss of relegation. I just hope we at least don't sell ourselves short as we always do. If Zaha with no Prem experience is 15m, those two should be valued at 20m each at least.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 12:55:18 PM »
If we go down (and I still think that is a big if at this point) we will need some swift and decisive action in the summer to prepare us for the Championship.  I would do the utmost to keep Vlaar (or offer Dunne a new reduced contract if he leaves), Westwood and Weimann at the club, but would listen to offers for everyone else.  Any money raised would be spent on bringing in partners for those players right down the spine of the team (top players at that level who could make the step up) and we would then have to add around them with what we currently have and maybe the odd loan signing.  Having watched quite a bit of Championship football, I believe that if we go down and get things right in the summer then we would be able to mount a promotion challenge next season.   

Offline Proposition Joe

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 12:57:06 PM »
Who knows, it might be the making of them, and they return to the Prem all toughened up?  Plus a lot of our academy has had loan spells in the lower regions. Lichaj spent some time at Lincoln once I think, Fonz spends most his time down below ... a lot of our players may feel right at home.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 12:59:11 PM »
I think Benteke 100% won't be. If Weimann continues as he is, then I'd doubt he will either. Clubs that go down hardly ever keep their top scorer/s. Let's remember also that Lerner will have no compulsion to flogging any assets we have to make up for the financial loss of relegation. I just hope we at least don't sell ourselves short as we always do. If Zaha with no Prem experience is 15m, those two should be valued at 20m each at least.

I think Lambert (given the concensus seems to be he'd be safe even if we did go down) would fight long and hard to keep them both, neither are on particularly high wages either.  I think Ireland, Nzog, Hutton and Given would be top of the list to leave (along with Dunne and Warnock who are gone regardless) as they'd probably all angle for a move, are on big money and don't provide anything like enough to the first team.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal