collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:23:42 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 07:22:15 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:20:22 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Supporter behaviour towards own players  (Read 17303 times)

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
Re: Supporter behaviour towards own players
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 01:53:45 PM »
Have we ever been this bad before though? Even in 86-87 I don't remember us being this appalling.
Oh, I do. We finished bottom of the old Division One, with a lot of kids in the side. It was pretty grim. And we've had bad patches before where we were in danger. That first season back in Division One, then 1994-95, 2002-03. There are probably others.

Maybe I'm just unlucky to have the nutters congregate around me at the moment. Not really sure, hence the OP.

Off the top of my head I don't remember us being on the end of some of, if not the most humiliating defeats in the club's history in 86-87 though. That's what we've had to endure this season. So for me, so far, this is the worst season ever. We're not down yet and we can still stay up. So all's not lost, yet.

Online mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 01:57:05 PM »
I agree with your post Chris and to be honest I get more annoyed with mindless Villa fans these days than opposition fans. Some of the abuse Bannan has been getting from the stands is inexcusable regardless of how much money he earns.

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 02:02:31 PM »
Off the top of my head I don't remember us being on the end of some of, if not the most humiliating defeats in the club's history in 86-87 though. That's what we've had to endure this season.
That's a fair point, although the abuse was going on well before Chelsea away.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 02:03:54 PM »
The same Mr Bannan who is barred from the Belfry Golf Course for continually driving his golf buggy onto the tees?
After repeated requests from the green keepers not to do this he came out with the Do you know who i am line.
He was barred on the spot. Arrogance has taken over in football, to much money for doing fuckall. It is a disgrace.
Barry fucking Bannan is not fit to lace a proper footballers boots. Fuck me, i bet Mr Cowans cringes at some of these tossers.

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 02:05:53 PM »
Off the top of my head I don't remember us being on the end of some of, if not the most humiliating defeats in the club's history in 86-87 though. That's what we've had to endure this season.
That's a fair point, although the abuse was going on well before Chelsea away.

We were humiliated before the Chelsea game as well. The Everton game in August was embarrassing.

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 02:07:19 PM »
The same Mr Bannan who is barred from the Belfry Golf Course for continually driving his golf buggy onto the tees?
After repeated requests from the green keepers not to do this he came out with the Do you know who i am line.
He was barred on the spot. Arrogance has taken over in football, to much money for doing fuckall. It is a disgrace.
Barry fucking Bannan is not fit to lace a proper footballers boots. Fuck me, i bet Mr Cowans cringes at some of these tossers.

Not every player is like Bannan though. There were plenty Big Time Charlie's back in the day as well.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 02:08:14 PM »
I agree it used to go on back then, but it seems so much worse these days.

Perhaps it just seems worse because there's no getting away from it in all-seated grounds or, like has been pointed out, the gulf between players and fans is now bigger than ever and so any negative feeling is magnified.

Have we ever been this bad before though? Even in 86-87 I don't remember us being this appalling.

We spent two years in division three in the 70s, we've been much worse. We've got the basis of a half decent side but they desperately need some help.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 02:09:07 PM »
Thing is players also get way over the top adulation when things are going well. It's complete extremes and we are unfortunately at the wrong end of that extreme where there is now just a bitter taste in everything we try and do. It's spilling over to the fans who are venting at the players and at each other. Then, as has been pointed out, the obvious bone of contention is the wage and lifestyle gap that is wider than it ever has been between between regular working folk and PL footballer. What we are seeing is the very worst of what it is like to be on a massive decline and everyone pushing panic buttons.

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 02:09:17 PM »
We were humiliated before the Chelsea game as well. The Everton game in August was embarrassing.
Everton was poor, but we've had poor before, on too many occasions to count. The score might not have been as bad if Given hadn't dropped the ball into his own net for their second.

Offline levico

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 02:09:54 PM »
We're not down yet and we can still stay up. So all's not lost, yet.
[/quote]

No we're not, because its January and not May. But can you tell me anything, just anything (and this a sincere, genuine question), that leads you to believe that we will escape relegation?

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 02:10:17 PM »
I agree with your post Chris and to be honest I get more annoyed with mindless Villa fans these days than opposition fans.
I'm glad I'm not on my own on this one.

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 02:11:11 PM »
I agree it used to go on back then, but it seems so much worse these days.

Perhaps it just seems worse because there's no getting away from it in all-seated grounds or, like has been pointed out, the gulf between players and fans is now bigger than ever and so any negative feeling is magnified.

We spent two years in division three in the 70s, we've been much worse. We've got the basis of a half decent side but they desperately need some help.

I'm aware of that. I'm talking about the worst team I've ever seen. Division 3 days were before my time.
I have to disagree with you on your second point though. We haven't got the basis of a good team at all. We have the basis of a Championship side, and that's where we're heading unless something drastic changes.

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 02:13:02 PM »
Everton was poor, but we've had poor before, on too many occasions to count. The score might not have been as bad if Given hadn't dropped the ball into his own net for their second.

It wasn't poor, it was humiliating. It could and should have been 8 goals conceded that day. The writing was on the wall that day, but a lot of fans just wrote it off as a bad day at the office.

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2013, 02:15:41 PM »
We're not down yet and we can still stay up. So all's not lost, yet.

No we're not, because its January and not May. But can you tell me anything, just anything (and this a sincere, genuine question), that leads you to believe that we will escape relegation?
[/quote]

At the moment no. Hopefully Lerner will come to his senses and sign a few players. If not the only other thing that will save us is if the teams below us capitulate. Can't see that at the moment either.

Offline nigel

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2013, 02:18:28 PM »
I used my brothers season ticket for the Southampton game, as he sits Trinity Rd, C5, so it's a better seat than mine in C8.

There were 3 blokes behind and from the moment the game started it was: 'How s**t we are' 'How s**t so and so is'.
Yes, they're allowed their opinions, but, they were taking so everyone had to hear.
Then one started going on about how great Ireland was (player not country) I just turned around and asked if he was having a f**king laugh,
"No, No" he said. He seemed surprised that anyone disagreed with him.

No, it didn't stop them talking s**t, but it wasn't as loud  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal