collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

MOTD by ChicagoLion
[Today at 07:34:31 AM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by AV84
[Today at 07:22:26 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by john2710
[Today at 06:41:12 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R26: ASTON VILLA v Chelsea, Saturday, 27th April!🥧 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 06:25:57 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 03:52:31 AM]

Kaine Kesler Hayden by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:49:43 AM]

Snooker by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:29:25 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 01:23:08 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gabby  (Read 77076 times)

Offline django

Re: Gabby
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 10:19:48 AM »
He's been ineffective for a while, but still has more effect on a game than Bent. Third choice striker for me.

Online sid1964

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 12:26:37 PM »
He has lost his one asset, his pace....

For me he is another player, who is too comfortable at Villa

Offline Villadroid

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 12:49:49 PM »
When Villa are relegated it seems unlikely that the club will be able to keep hold of players with any ambition, or have a market value derived from their Premiership record.

The list of those players must include Gabby, along with Benteke, Bent and Weimann.

It seems unlikely that any of those players will want to play Championship football, if the opportunity for Premiership football is an option.

So we might be wiser to decide which of Bowery, Burke and Delfouneso, is likely to be Villa's main striker, come August.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2013, 12:52:42 PM »
He has lost his one asset, his pace....

For me he is another player, who is too comfortable at Villa

Sadly, I have to agree. We see flashes of what he can do, but nothing that merits a nice fat 50k a week contract.

I think we've been in denial about a few things for a while. One is that the academy kids are all going to step up to Premier League football, and the other is that some of our more established players are much better than they actually are.

On the flip side, we could maybe keep hold of Gabby next season, he'll do a job in the championship.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2013, 02:00:55 PM »
No home league goals in around 18 months.

We sold Heskey but his spirit lives on in Gabby.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2013, 02:39:06 PM »
I think it's a bit of a myth that he works hard for the team too. Many's the time he chases back, but as soon as another Villa player is in close proximity to whoever he's chasing back on, he assumes his job is done and stops, regardless of the situation, often leaving his teammate 1 against 2.   He's also got this bad habit of standing gawping flat on his feet or on his heels totally unprepared to receive the ball or make the necessary run.  He's one of quite a few academy players (see also Clark, Davis, Whittingham) who have been and sometimes still are massively over rated by some of our fan base.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2013, 07:31:05 PM »

He has played 2 games against a 4th division side, and i don't recall him doing anything positive in 180 mins.

In the 2nd half he played like the "goal-hanger", who you used to play with as a kid, doing nothing but trying to take the glory.

He has not developed in the last 3 seasons, his touch is poor at best, he has no movement off the ball, doesn't anticipate, he can only play wide and try to utilise his pace, but if he plays against someone almost as quick as him then he is fucked because he has nothing else.

He is a busted flush, and i don't want to see him, Ireland or Clark in a Villa shirt again.

Offline ez

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2013, 08:16:54 PM »
When Villa are relegated it seems unlikely that the club will be able to keep hold of players with any ambition, or have a market value derived from their Premiership record.

The list of those players must include Gabby, along with Benteke, Bent and Weimann.

It seems unlikely that any of those players will want to play Championship football, if the opportunity for Premiership football is an option.

So we might be wiser to decide which of Bowery, Burke and Delfouneso, is likely to be Villa's main striker, come August.

I can't see any premier league clubs coming in for Gabby. Benteke, Bent and Weimann yes, but not Gabby.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2013, 08:36:40 PM »
I think it's a bit of a myth that he works hard for the team too. Many's the time he chases back, but as soon as another Villa player is in close proximity to whoever he's chasing back on, he assumes his job is done and stops, regardless of the situation, often leaving his teammate 1 against 2.   He's also got this bad habit of standing gawping flat on his feet or on his heels totally unprepared to receive the ball or make the necessary run.

Spot on.

As a young player he had pace that made him look a better player than he was.  Since MON tried to convert him into a central forward and allowed him to bulk up, he stopped developing.  Houllier saw straight away that he was not a good enough goal scorer to play that roll and that he needed to get back to how he was.  We then went through about where he should play and I just wonder whether he just wants to play down the middle and does not really put the effort in when asked to play a different role.

Offline Apyadg

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2013, 08:51:04 PM »
Who'd have thought, Houllier was right.

I know he's got a brummie accent and everything, but so did Vassell. He's still a bit shit. We'll be stuck with him until his contract runs out.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2013, 10:14:58 PM »
Wouldn't shock me if he's playing for Sunderland or Stoke next season.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2013, 10:15:43 PM »
Get rid he never comes good when we need him to. I'd rather we had my mate Izale Mcleod playing for the Villa least he knows where the net is. Gabby is a waste of space always has been always will be.

Is it true "hard up" Pompey were paying him 5k a week and he's had to take a pay cut to join Franchise?

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2013, 02:23:41 PM »
Agbonlahor has averaged a shot only every 84 minutes 24 seconds.

http://www.footyplace.com/features/lowton-is-top-tackling-defender-jonas-yet-to-claim-assist/

shocking

Offline eastie

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2013, 02:33:48 PM »
Wouldn't shock me if he's playing for Sunderland or Stoke next season.

I hope he is.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2013, 02:37:20 PM »
He needs to be left out. It's almost as if there's nothing he can do to get left out of the side, but he just needs to go. He's like a black hole for our attacks. Passing to him is to automatically slow down our attacks, not speed up as you might think with his pace.

Weimann playing on the right doesn't get as involved as we'd like and is often cutting in and shooting but on his weaker side. I think Weimann needs to come into the team in place of Gabby, start cutting in onto his right and scoring some goals.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal