collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Martin Laursen on the Villa  (Read 14976 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Martin Laursen on the Villa
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2013, 08:51:50 PM »
Just because we love him and he was a good (but very injury prone player) doesn't mean he would be any better than Lambert, or McLeish.

I used to think that, and was wary of giving an old hero a job out of loyalty.  But not better than Lambert?  There are people in Amazonian rainforests who have had no contact with the modern world who would organise us better than him.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2013, 09:01:40 PM »
Asked to comment on Laursen's remarks, Villa Manager, Paul Lambert said 'Me and Martin have no problem, I have no problem with Martin and Martin has no problem with me.  We pick ourselves up and go again.'

You'd hope by now someone at the club with Lambert's best interests at heart would have a word about his "go again" spiel, but he seems as cut adrift as TSM. I know he means it to sound stoic and determined but for most of us, it just means he's going to try the same arse tactics again in the hope they somehow work.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2013, 09:22:33 PM »
Just because we love him and he was a good (but very injury prone player) doesn't mean he would be any better than Lambert, or McLeish.

I'd like to see Laursen doing something similar to what Solskjaer is doing.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2013, 10:04:27 PM »
There's no doubt he loves the Villa.  Whenever he's in the media over here he rarely talks about playing for AC, but is always going on about us a great club, great fans, great relationship with the fans etc. 

For those who can't wait to see him as future Villa manager, he stated it as an ambition when he started doing his coaching badges over here in 2011.

His only coaching experience so far is less 12 months coaching a small team from the outskirts of Copenhagen (no they're called Søllerød-Vedbæk not FC Copenhagen ;D), just as he started his coaching badges (T- Licence?)
He stopped (as planned) after less than a season where he managed to avoid relegation (against the odds, he was brought in as a desperate last roll of the dice with club lying bottom after 8 games - with 8 games left they were second bottom and five points from safety - they went undefeated in the last eight games and didn't concede a goal in the last seven!).  He quit citing an ambition to work at higher level and an intention to contact his former trainers Ancelloti, Prandelli and O'Neill for a chance to "come and get some work experience" (best translation I can come up with) at a higher level as part of his continuing trainer education.

Offline onje_villa

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2013, 10:04:31 PM »
Absolute legend.

In fact, there's not an ex player I respect or like more.

Would love to get him involved at the club and at a reasonably high level too.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2013, 12:22:10 AM »
There's no doubt he loves the Villa.  Whenever he's in the media over here he rarely talks about playing for AC, but is always going on about us a great club, great fans, great relationship with the fans etc. 

For those who can't wait to see him as future Villa manager, he stated it as an ambition when he started doing his coaching badges over here in 2011.

His only coaching experience so far is less 12 months coaching a small team from the outskirts of Copenhagen (no they're called Søllerød-Vedbæk not FC Copenhagen ;D), just as he started his coaching badges (T- Licence?)
He stopped (as planned) after less than a season where he managed to avoid relegation (against the odds, he was brought in as a desperate last roll of the dice with club lying bottom after 8 games - with 8 games left they were second bottom and five points from safety - they went undefeated in the last eight games and didn't concede a goal in the last seven!).  He quit citing an ambition to work at higher level and an intention to contact his former trainers Ancelloti, Prandelli and O'Neill for a chance to "come and get some work experience" (best translation I can come up with) at a higher level as part of his continuing trainer education.

wow. can't imagine many other ex-premier league players of his standard doing that.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2013, 02:35:20 AM »

I used to think that, and was wary of giving an old hero a job out of loyalty.  But not better than Lambert?  There are people in Amazonian rainforests who have had no contact with the modern world who would organise us better than him.

You know, sometimes I think you actually believe the hyperbole that you come out with.

Offline neo_Villan

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2013, 02:50:23 AM »
I absolutely love this man! If we do happen to go down, I would like to see him join our coaching staff for sure (preferably as AM).

Offline neo_Villan

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2013, 02:59:55 AM »
I love Ian Taylor, Martin Laursen, Olof Mellberg and Dean Saunders as they have lot of passion for Aston Villa. Where is our players with those sort of passion. If we have all of those 4 in right age group we would be very good.
I'd add Dion Dublin to that list. Although he was apparently a Boggie growing up, he always speaks as if he is a Villa fan. Always looks genuinely saddened when reflecting on the current state of the club on MOTD.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2013, 08:11:54 AM »
I love Ian Taylor, Martin Laursen, Olof Mellberg and Dean Saunders as they have lot of passion for Aston Villa. Where is our players with those sort of passion. If we have all of those 4 in right age group we would be very good.
I'd add Dion Dublin to that list. Although he was apparently a Boggie growing up, he always speaks as if he is a Villa fan. Always looks genuinely saddened when reflecting on the current state of the club on MOTD.

I don't get that impression at all, when he talks of us it's in the generic way the likes of Lawrenson and others do.

I get the impression that Dion would rather be known as an ex-Man Utd star.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2013, 08:35:42 AM »

You know, sometimes I think you actually believe the hyperbole that you come out with.

I assumed he was saying it tongue in cheek - though that rarely comes across too well in forums

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2013, 09:57:23 AM »
I spent five of the happiest years of my career in claret and blue and I still live and breathe the club now.

I shout at the television screen, I scream - not as loudly as a Holte Ender, of course! But I get irritated when we lose and delighted when we win.

I'd give anything to be out there playing for Villa again and helping them.

I once told Mrs Concrete John I'd never leave her for another woman, but I would for Paul McGrath.  I think Laursen now needs to be added to that list.

I mentioned him as a managerial option in the summer, but got shouted down on here!

Truely top class player and man.  You can't bring him in without Lambert's OK, as we can't undermine the manager, but I'd love him to be back here in any capacity.   

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2013, 11:26:27 AM »

I realise there's probably no room for levity in your life, but seriously, lighten up.  I don't think anybody seriously wants to hump Martin Laursen (well, they might, who knows), it's called using a literary device to make a point.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 11:28:20 AM by Rissbert »

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2013, 11:33:16 AM »
I'd love to see him as our manager one day, and I think it will happen.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2013, 11:35:06 AM »
There's absolutely zero evidence from a management perspective to suggest he would make it as a manager of us or any other club.  See Henning Berg at Blackburn. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal