collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: From the mouth of babes...  (Read 6547 times)

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: From the mouth of babes...
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 08:44:37 PM »
95%+ of football teams are shite, it's those of us who realise that and carry on regardless that keep this whole thing going.
Hopefully there are a lot more kids like those mentioned above who won't just give up and support a team that wins things.

Exactly, walking out of the ground yesterday I was feeling cold and miserable and thoroughly dispirited with the whole thing and thinking why on earth did I bother. Half an hour later and into my second pint, I was laughing and joking with my lads, plus my brother and his kids, and I knew exactly why.

Offline claret and blue blood

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 08:57:15 PM »
My lad's birthday today, he's fifteen. When he was about 5 he came home from school wanting a Beckham shirt . I quickly pointed out the error of his ways and he is now more 'hooked' than I am , even to the point of being indignant when his mum suggested we won't be getting a season ticket in the Championship. On the way back yesterday enjoying the highlight of the day (chips from the Villa chippy ) I explained that when we eventually have a good spell it would seem so much more sweeter than anything the plastic red fans have. I did also explain he may have to wait until he's seventy!

Keep the faith!

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 08:59:53 PM »
My lad's birthday today, he's fifteen. When he was about 5 he came home from school wanting a Beckham shirt . I quickly pointed out the error of his ways and he is now more 'hooked' than I am , even to the point of being indignant when his mum suggested we won't be getting a season ticket in the Championship. On the way back yesterday enjoying the highlight of the day (chips from the Villa chippy ) I explained that when we eventually have a good spell it would seem so much more sweeter than anything the plastic red fans have. I did also explain he may have to wait until he's seventy!
Keep the faith!

exactly  ;)

Offline Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 09:23:28 PM »
95%+ of football teams are shite, it's those of us who realise that and carry on regardless that keep this whole thing going.
Hopefully there are a lot more kids like those mentioned above who won't just give up and support a team that wins things.

This puts me in mind of people who claim they want to be actors/singers who in reality mean they want glory in the form of fame and wealth. If they really wanted to be an actor or singer, they could join a local drama group or choir.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 09:26:22 PM »
My seven year old is getting "educated" in what is happening at the moment. He's been about six or seven times to see them a VP.

On a walk to the park today he said to me "I'll never change the team I support as long as you don't Daddy". So proud, but....

I feel I need to call Childline on his behalf......

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 09:27:09 PM »
My 9 year old son treats the boy in his class who has 'supported' Man Utd, Chelsea and now Man City with utter contempt.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 08:12:27 AM »
6 year-old boy in my class says to me on Wednesday morning, "Even Bury would beat Bradford."
Are you a 6 year old girl?

Offline MarkM

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 09:28:56 AM »
My son who is 8 and has had a season ticket for the last 2 years but decided this year he didnt want one as he was getting a bit fed up with us was playing football during PE the other day.

He scored a goal and then ran around the field singing "woooaahhh Christian Benteke"

No matter how hard they try the Villa can't get out of my family's blood

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 10:33:43 AM »
I still, in a somehwat juvenile way, chuckle when being at Old Trafford many years ago and the 'Dirty Glory Hunters' chant to their fans.
There is no response to that.  ;D

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 10:42:12 AM »

Exactly, walking out of the ground yesterday I was feeling cold and miserable and thoroughly dispirited with the whole thing and thinking why on earth did I bother. Half an hour later and into my second pint, I was laughing and joking with my lads, plus my brother and his kids, and I knew exactly why.

Because you were in the pub away from the shiteness of the game?  The going to the pub bit is always the best bit of the matchday experience.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 11:05:07 AM »

Because you were in the pub away from the shiteness of the game?  The going to the pub bit is always the best bit of the matchday experience.

I realise the bit I liked most about going to the match was the social thing of meeting up with your mates and in particular travelling to away games. There were five of us went regulary and we've all gradually drifted away and to be honest that's what I miss, we used to have a good laugh whatever the result.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2013, 11:06:52 AM »

I saw that post as more "There's more important things than football".
I was back in Brum after the match having a drink (of coke, damn this Dryathlon) with my missus and her mate, the football was hardly mentioned except to bemoan the fact that both clubs I actively support are probably going to get relegated this season.
Watch the match, have a bit of a whinge on the forum, forget about it, it's just football, it's just a hobby, nothing more.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2013, 02:58:22 PM »
Taking my Son to the Villa is a great experience for me, trouble is he always wants to be carried on my shoulders after the game whilst he sings inanely to himself. It must look bizarre to other supporters, with him being 23 years old.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2013, 10:07:10 PM »
Mine son has been a few times now, he gets grief at school from the Arsenal, Man Ure, Man City & Chelsea 'fans' especially after Christmas, haven't we all.
He's well drilled & usually asks one or more of a series of pre-determined questions........

Who did you support before INSERT TEAM NAME HERE?

Have you been to INSERT GROUND NAME HERE?  Thought not.

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 10:36:13 AM »
My youngest is the same! Despite us living where we do and losing to the local team last week he is still singing Villa songs every morning when he gets up, he does get a bit down on a Saturday tea time I've noticed though!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal