collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Doug or Randy?  (Read 49588 times)

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
Re: Doug or Randy?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 10:55:48 AM »
At least Ellis looked like he cared for the club. The prat we've got now couldn't give two shites.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 10:55:49 AM »
Doug .only because he would not have gave MON the money to waste.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 10:56:28 AM »
At least Ellis looked like he cared for the club. The prat we've got now couldn't give two shites.

At least Doug still turns up for every game and his double the age of the other plonker.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 10:57:13 AM »
Lerner just makes you forget what a truly shit chairman Doug was, they are both terrible, it's just Randy threw lots of money at it

richtheholtender

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 10:57:54 AM »
Doug would have had to have sold one day, and Steve Stride would have also left at some point. Is Doug or Lerner the problem? Or did Doug sell to Lerner about 5 years too late

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 10:58:52 AM »

The amount of money Lerner has put in since he's been here would prove you wrong.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2013, 10:59:24 AM »
Although Ellis would never have appointed McLeish, Lerner was either blissfully ignorant or wilfully stupid in appointing him.

Nor would he have allowed O'Neill to dish out inflated contracts like a demented schoolboy who has just commandered the school tuck shop.

Having said that, he held us back time after time, so although he has more nous than our current dimwit, I wouldn't want either.

Offline Bottom Right 89

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2013, 11:05:22 AM »
We've got no money, Doug Ellis has more than Smaug the dragon - if things are that desperate ask our president nicely surely he could help us out of the shit short term, alternatively make him pay for match tickets, hospitality and car parking that would pay for a loan signing until the end of the season.

Off the field Randy wins hands down however this is a football club and if we're not winning matches the rest doesn't matter. 

Offline danlanza

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2013, 11:12:18 AM »
Its like saying, Ken Bates or Peter Risdale imo.

Offline Ross

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2013, 11:20:18 AM »
I'm not buying the revisionist 'Uncle Doug' crap. He was dreadful and Lerner is not doing any better. One thing I will say is at least Doug's mega ego meant he was always around, rather than our current peculiar reclusive absent owner.

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2013, 11:26:38 AM »
Doug saved the club in the late 60s without him we may not be talking about this now.

Offline Fasth56

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2013, 11:29:01 AM »
Got to be Lerner. Ellis used AVFC as a vehicle of self promotion and used the club as his personal fifedom. Then screwed the fans for £11 a share when he made himself a fortune first time around and then sold the rest to Lerner for another small fortune. Forgive maybe, but never forget how he screwed us big time.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2013, 11:31:16 AM »
I'm not buying the revisionist 'Uncle Doug' crap. He was dreadful and Lerner is not doing any better. One thing I will say is at least Doug's mega ego meant he was always around, rather than our current peculiar reclusive absent owner.

From the early 90s to about 96/7, I was as proud to be a Villa fan as I've ever been.  Consistently good managers, great players, excellent football, nearly always around the top of the table and two trophies.  The current set up is a disgrace, and Lerner a ****** of the first water.

Offline wolfman999

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2013, 11:38:49 AM »

The amount of money Lerner has put in since he's been here would prove you wrong.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That'll be the amount of money he has LOANED to the club with interest after he bought a big premier league club on the cheap.

Doug, for all his faults, wouldn't have allowed our (once) great club to be turned into the laughing stock it now is.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2013, 11:39:59 AM »

From the early 90s to about 96/7, I was as proud to be a Villa fan as I've ever been.  Consistently good managers, great players, excellent football, nearly always around the top of the table and two trophies.  The current set up is a disgrace, and Lerner a c*** of the first water.

Nice comparison, neatly using the best of Ellis's time, the worst of Randy's and ignoring a couple of relegation battles.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal