collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Gordon Cowans by algy
[Today at 08:02:52 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by algy
[Today at 08:02:52 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:59:21 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clive W
[Today at 07:54:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 07:52:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Gregory evening.  (Read 12673 times)

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
Re: John Gregory evening.
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 12:01:39 PM »
JG is a good one to follow on twitter, he'll often get involved with a twitter conversion about the Villa or Bruce Springsteen with me. He absolutely loves the Villa.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 12:08:50 PM »
I'd love Gregory back at the club right now. Shows passion and is good with players. We had some good times with him as our manager.

Was thinking the same last night. If Lambert is pushed (I hope he won't be) I'd bring back Little and/or Gregory until the end of the season. We have tried pretty much everything else we may as well go with something different. Does anybody doubt their love of the club? Can you see anybody else getting more from these players in the battle ahead?

I know people go on about Shearer at Newcastle but this would be a bit different. They have management experience (albeit a long time ago)  but for our purposes they'd at least rally the fans again and  maybe, just maybe, instill some belief and pride in these players.

I'd back one of those or both to keep us up over any RDM, Curbishly or whoever else happens to be looking for work right now.

Offline Richie

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 12:12:29 PM »
He told a great story of going on a pre season tour to Bilbao shortly after joining Villa before the 77/78 season. All the lads were in pairs sharing rooms and as one of the new lads he had no one to share with.

He was then approached by John Burridge who asked if he wanted to share a room with him. Knowing no better, he agreed. The lads were all wishing him good luck when they found out he was stuck with Budgie.

He went to the room but couldn't find Budgie. After searching the room and balcony, he noticed a pair of knuckles hanging off the top of the bathroom door.

There was Budgie doing push ups on the door. Budgie then made John sit on his back while he did press ups and instructed him to throw oranges at him when he was off guard to check his reflexes.

Having read Budgies book, I've no doubt that this is 100% correct.

Budgie was 100% committed and 110% barking mad !

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 12:29:53 PM »
Like the love in that's been going on with harping back to the halcyon days of Doug Ellis, though jg may have loved the villa he like oneill had money, spunked it up the wall and gave us the worst villa performance in that cup final.

Oh have a word with yourself.  "Worst Villa performance" my arse.  Firstly, no other manager in in most people's living memory has got us to a final, and secondly we lost to one flukey goal thanks to a David James howler.  And he might have spent a lot of money, but most of it was well spent on players like Dublin, Merson, Delaney, James, Boateng, Alpay and Angel.  He had a far higher hit rate than O'Neill when it came to transfers, and he worked for Ellis not some stupid American playboy with a trust fund to squander.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 12:44:57 PM »
Like the love in that's been going on with harping back to the halcyon days of Doug Ellis, though jg may have loved the villa he like oneill had money, spunked it up the wall and gave us the worst villa performance in that cup final.

Oh have a word with yourself.  "Worst Villa performance" my arse.  Firstly, no other manager in in most people's living memory has got us to a final, and secondly we lost to one flukey goal thanks to a David James howler.  And he might have spent a lot of money, but most of it was well spent on players like Dublin, Merson, Delaney, James, Boateng, Alpay and Angel.  He had a far higher hit rate than O'Neill when it came to transfers, and he worked for Ellis not some stupid American playboy with a trust fund to squander.

A very unlucky howler, as had it not hit Southgate bang on the back we would have got away with it. Also, Carbone missed the best chance of the game late on. Sad, but I remember there were 1-2 selections that day that made me wince.

All in all though, I though he did a great job for us, and left us in a very good position in the league.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 12:46:36 PM »

Atkinson, Little and MON got to us to a final. Unless you are specifically referencing the FA cup.

Under Gregory at times we played some of the most boring football but we weren't losing or ever in danger of capitulating in games. But I just loved the fact that fr a while you knew that him and Little and before them Big Ron were working their bollocks off for the club. Even if in the end it didn't work, we had a period of people who loved the club, managing the club. That in many respects they actually felt the same pain we did. I so wish it had worked out with Stan because what a potential match made in heaven that would have been had it done so. You're right Risso. There were no excuses, he just took on the challenge, but in the end it wasn't enough. We'll just never know what might have been had not left.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 01:16:35 PM »
I know a lot of people moan about Gregory and his brand of football, but we still had some great games under him and a few players like Merson and briefly Carbone, who'd provide the entertainment off their own back. Still I'd settle for being a middling top 8 club now. Plus his love of the club could never be questionnned. It meant a lot to him. You never felt that with some of our managers since. O Neill proved how little we meant to him. O Leary probably thought he was gonna step over us to become manager of Barca and McLeish is just a jobber going from one gig to another without much enthusiasm. At least you sense with Lambert that he's grateful to be hear and wants to achieve long term goals.

I do miss the Gregory days though. Always good for a quote too. JG is in actual fact probably a very mediocre football manager, as proved by his stints after. He did well here, largely because of how passionate he was for the club. It took him a long way I think.

Yeah agree with that.

You can split his spell in charge into two halves, first half 98-00 when we were top of the league for a while, reached a cup final, signed some big name players at the time who contributed at least (Dublin, Merson) and we actually played really good football in that spell and had some extraordinary games in the 98-99 season.

Then the second part of his reign began with the cup final really. Losing in such a negative manner just spread for the rest of his reign and we were awful to watch in the league, 2000-01 must be the most non descript season in our recent history, anyone have a clue what happened in that year apart from relegating Coventry at the end?

We still signed big names like Ginola and Schemiechel but they contributed nothing as did the likes of Kachoul, Hadji, Balaban....

richtheholtender

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2013, 01:46:45 PM »

He only had a net spend of 16 mill over 4 years didnt he?

Offline asgpaul

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2013, 02:02:23 PM »
My season tickets during the JG years were right behind the dugout, I remember one occasion him joining in with the 'stand up if you hate Man U' chant, and on many occasions jokingly taking suggestions on possible substitutions during the course of a game.  Some might frown upon it, but was fun and you couldn't question his love and passion that he had for the Villa. 

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2013, 06:33:19 PM »
I always liked JG, top bloke.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2013, 06:36:32 PM »
I would agree with Little and Gregory. We need to get this club back in the hands of Villa people.

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2013, 06:36:36 PM »
JG is a good one to follow on twitter, he'll often get involved with a twitter conversion about the Villa or Bruce Springsteen with me. He absolutely loves the Villa.

Is he actually on there? I've looked for him but they all appear fake.

Offline villajk

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2013, 06:39:26 PM »

Is he actually on there? I've looked for him but they all appear fake.

Try @ johngregory77

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2013, 06:38:34 PM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2013, 06:41:35 PM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

I hope they had the decency to take down those pictures of fucking Charlton and Best before he turned up.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal