collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Gregory evening.  (Read 12720 times)

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
John Gregory evening.
« on: January 12, 2013, 09:58:31 AM »
Don't know if anyone else here went to the function at Sutton Town last night. John Gregory played his guitar, sang and regaled us with tales from his days at the club. Listening to his stories, especially about Doug, gave me a hankering to be back in those times.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: John Gregory evening.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 10:05:41 AM »
Sounds like a good night actually. I liked Gregory, i'm surprised he's not in the game in some capacity. He'd make a good coach on the training ground for somebody.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 10:15:01 AM »
There were some interesting stories about Ron Saunders, including one where John Gregory tried to push him for a higher wage. We are only talking about an extra £25 a week here! Saunders refused and, two weeks later, John was off to Brighton. The fact that we became  Division One Champions and won the European Cup in the next few years still plays on John's mind, especially as he loves the club. 'What if.....?' What a torment that must be.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 10:30:31 AM »
I believe he played a song for Stan?

Offline supertom

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 10:31:50 AM »
I know a lot of people moan about Gregory and his brand of football, but we still had some great games under him and a few players like Merson and briefly Carbone, who'd provide the entertainment off their own back. Still I'd settle for being a middling top 8 club now. Plus his love of the club could never be questionnned. It meant a lot to him. You never felt that with some of our managers since. O Neill proved how little we meant to him. O Leary probably thought he was gonna step over us to become manager of Barca and McLeish is just a jobber going from one gig to another without much enthusiasm. At least you sense with Lambert that he's grateful to be hear and wants to achieve long term goals.

I do miss the Gregory days though. Always good for a quote too. JG is in actual fact probably a very mediocre football manager, as proved by his stints after. He did well here, largely because of how passionate he was for the club. It took him a long way I think.

Offline flybo

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 10:35:03 AM »
we have he that walks on water (Brian Little) coming to North Walsall in feb :-)

Offline Dave Clark Five

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 10:36:05 AM »
He did. If I'm not mistaken, he had a tear in his eye. He got a standing ovation.
The MC was Rob Bishop. He had some stick about his times in the press.
One story was about Ellis saying that he never slept well the night before sacking a manager.
We lost against Southampton. Gregory called Ellis and asked if he could come round for a chat. When he got there, John said 'did you sleep well last night?'

Offline villajk

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 10:36:50 AM »

He did.  It was very moving.

Offline Dave Clark Five

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 10:39:53 AM »
we have he that walks on water (Brian Little) coming to North Walsall in feb :-)
He was brilliant at Bromsgrove.

Offline supertom

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 10:49:47 AM »
I wouldn't mind either Little or Gregory back to be honest. They'd take us down too but at least when our ship sinks we'd have someone proudly wearing a claret and blue life jacket as we plunged into the icy depths of the championship.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 10:55:18 AM »
I'd love Gregory back at the club right now. Shows passion and is good with players. We had some good times with him as our manager.

Offline eastie

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 11:37:31 AM »
Was underwhelmed with his appointment but he got off to a flyer against Liverpool and I must say he did a good job overall- if he had  won the Chelsea final he would have joined the legends - the time was right for him to go , but his reign on the whole was fairly good and many enjoyable games and good players .

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 11:38:28 AM »
I'd love Gregory back at the club right now. Shows passion and is good with players. We had some good times with him as our manager.

When he took over from Little, we went on an unbelievable run.  No excuses, no whinging about players lacking confidence, he just got on with the job very, very effectively.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 11:45:20 AM »

When he took over from Little, we went on an unbelievable run.  No excuses, no whinging about players lacking confidence, he just got on with the job very, very effectively.

He always talked the club up as well. Made us believe we were a big club, which we are of course.

Offline rutski

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 11:50:58 AM »
Like the love in that's been going on with harping back to the halcyon days of Doug Ellis, though jg may have loved the villa he like oneill had money, spunked it up the wall and gave us the worst villa performance in that cup final.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal