collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What player would you have back most..  (Read 15637 times)

Offline Andy1874

What player would you have back most..
« on: January 11, 2013, 01:00:55 AM »
For me, being relatively young it would be Martin Laursen followed closely by JPA. Just loved his passion, and drive. He was an animal at times. Yet such a nice guy (without his injuries he could have been once of the best centre halfs in Europe)

Yours ?

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: What player would you have back most..
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 01:04:03 AM »
Martin Laursen, Milner, Ash and Freddie Bouma in that order would make so much stronger right now.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 01:17:56 AM »
With our defensive woes at the moment, the obvious choice is McGrath as he is one of the very few genuinely world class players I've seen play for Villa in my lifetime. 

I was thinking the other the day though how we could do with a few signings like Alan Wright,  Kevin Richardson and Ian Taylor right now - good, honest, no nonsense pros who perform week in week out.  I tried to think of a few modern players like that and just don't think those kind of players exist in great numbers anymore in this country.       

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 01:21:39 AM »
Mcgrath to play centre midfield, put him in front of the back 4 and we would stay up

Offline neo_Villan

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 01:39:39 AM »
If you can only pick one, then it's Milner for me. Our midfield is simply non-existant.

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 01:52:40 AM »
Gary Shaw and Sid.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 01:53:13 AM »
Our Lord.

I'd play him at right back, left back, centre half and centre midfield.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 03:05:42 AM »
With our defensive woes at the moment, the obvious choice is McGrath as he is one of the very few genuinely world class players I've seen play for Villa in my lifetime. 

I was thinking the other the day though how we could do with a few signings like Alan Wright,  Kevin Richardson and Ian Taylor right now - good, honest, no nonsense pros who perform week in week out.  I tried to think of a few modern players like that and just don't think those kind of players exist in great numbers anymore in this country.       
The problem is the game is so much quicker now than it was in the mid-90s those players were good solid pros at that time. I question whether if you took the Rico or tayls of the mid-90s and dropped them into any premiership side of the current time, they would be as effective as they were back then.

Before the qpr match a few weeks back I watched the villa v qpr match from 93 on avtv where we were 2-1 down and came back to win 4-2. Apart from the obvious enjoyment of watching such a great comeback and the trip down memory lane, the main thing that struck me was how slow the game seemed and how much time on the ball the players got back then.

How would they fare in today's game I wonder?

Online villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 03:11:14 AM »
Terrible question, we can't live in the past. Not in times likes these. I'm sorry, but conversation like this is as desperate and unconstructive as it gets.

I want to have a better future, look forward.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 03:26:47 AM »
McGrath, no contest.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 03:29:16 AM »
Terrible question, we can't live in the past. Not in times likes these. I'm sorry, but conversation like this is as desperate and unconstructive as it gets.

I want to have a better future, look forward.

Relax, FFS. While it has been a bit shit around here this thread isn't meant to be serious. If you want to be completely miserable there's loads of other threads you can find to satisfy yourself.

Offline Doorbell

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 04:20:09 AM »
Milner.  Purely because he's still playing and would improve our midfield no end.

Offline eastie

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 06:11:01 AM »
Over recent years - Milner.
Over last 30 years - McGrath , was a privilege to watch him every week !

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 06:50:12 AM »
If its players still currently playing then Gareth Barry without question. Always bemuses me how Milner who gave the club half a season where he was more than above average is thought of more highly than Barry who gave us 10 years or so and was our best midfielder for years. Barry and Young combined superbly together.

To be fair Steve Sidwell and Craig Gardner would be a huge improvement on what we have now which kind of says it all for how much we have fallen. Peter Whittingham is another one who would walk into our side

Offline peter w

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 06:55:03 AM »
Well obviously McGrath. but I'd argue that teh back 4 needs protection first and foremost so would go with a kevin Richardson type player first and foremost. Maybe Dennis or Dessie. Cropley could do a job, too.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal