collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Club and The Fans  (Read 17403 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: The Club and The Fans
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 10:07:04 AM »
I agree with most of your post Brian.  Some of it is just the nonsense that comes from being part of the Premier League and modern football in general.  Some of it is just down to the mind-blowing incompetency from the owner and his staff.  The two things combine to produce something extremely unappealing.  Talking to anoher H&Ver this morning, we both agreed that even watching the games is a chore that you feel compelled to do, rather than from any likely enjoyment to be had.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 10:19:55 AM »
I agree with most of your post Brian.  Some of it is just the nonsense that comes from being part of the Premier League and modern football in general.  Some of it is just down to the mind-blowing incompetency from the owner and his staff.  The two things combine to produce something extremely unappealing.  Talking to anoher H&Ver this morning, we both agreed that even watching the games is a chore that you feel compelled to do, rather than from any likely enjoyment to be had.

Yep it's funny, I'm going to Villa Park for the first time in ages on Saturday which I was looking forward to. It's costing £100 for ticket and travel, so it's a fair expense. Up to now I think my mind has been assuming we'll win and it'll be a great experience. However as the game draws close, the feeling of the match itself being a chore is starting to creep in.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 10:31:22 AM »

I'm a supporter and I support my club whoever is manager, owner, or who's playing for us.  The current American approach and all the other periphery stuff is pretty much meaningless to me.  However, I do like it that we are far more slick at our marketing than for years not that it's going to entice me to purchase any tat but I'm sure many are. 

Sure, I'm pissed off with them at the moment like the rest of us.  Get a few players in and sort the results out and all will be well again.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 10:46:32 AM »
The point about the Holte Suite is fair comment. You can take it or leave it but, for the fan who has to buy his own match tickets, what a set of great facilities we have. Years ago, I would have had several pints of Ansells Mild and a couple of cheese and onion rolls on the way to a game. Now there are fewer pubs and I drive to home games, a couple or three pints then a roast pork dinner for about £7 is great value. That side of the club is way ahead of most other clubs.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 10:52:02 AM »
After recent events in Russia, its possible that we may have seen the last of the Zorbs for a while

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 10:52:42 AM »
Great thred and yes Brian you should send these comments to the club.

I am not sure My Left Foot read all of your post.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 10:54:26 AM »
I don't go in the Holte Suite very often. It's a nice place to have a drink and handy if you're sitting in the Holte End. It's a bit pricey if you was to go in every home game though. I went in before the Ipswich game as a one off to meet some family and after i'd got in and brought a pint i'd already spent over £7.

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 10:59:26 AM »
Villa Park hasn't been the same since they stopped driving cars round the pitch at half time.
It's been downhill ever since.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 11:05:50 AM »
I don't go in the Holte Suite very often. It's a nice place to have a drink and handy if you're sitting in the Holte End. It's a bit pricey if you was to go in every home game though. I went in before the Ipswich game as a one off to meet some family and after i'd got in and brought a pint i'd already spent over £7.
If you were getting a programme anyway then it only really costs £1 to get in but if there's a family with one programme then it is expensive. There is the added advantage of going in after the game. There was a time where we had to tap on back doors of pubs to get a drink at 5 o'clock. Mind you, the beer tasted better for it and, when the doors officially opened, it lost its glamour.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 11:15:52 AM »
If you were getting a programme anyway then it only really costs £1 to get in but if there's a family with one programme then it is expensive. There is the added advantage of going in after the game. There was a time where we had to tap on back doors of pubs to get a drink at 5 o'clock. Mind you, the beer tasted better for it and, when the doors officially opened, it lost its glamour.

Yeah i bought a programme with my entrance fee on Saturday so it did'nt seem that bad but normally i don't buy programmes. Being able to go back in after the game is an advantage, especially if you're not in a rush. What i tend to do if i'm planning to meet people in there is to get there a bit earlier than normal, have a pint in the Academy (which is free) then go in both the Holte Pub and Suite.

I think £3.20 a pint is a bit steep though. They could easily charge around £2.70 and still make a profit.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 11:25:37 AM »
It's pretty much impossible to get into the Holte Suite at half time now.  They used to let everyone in but now since the Manu home game where a lot of of food was stolen they have restricted the numbers. 

Offline Dave Clark Five

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 11:32:47 AM »
It's pretty much impossible to get into the Holte Suite at half time now.  They used to let everyone in but now since the Manu home game where a lot of of food was stolen they have restricted the numbers. 
But the twats who nicked the food are probably first in the queue.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 12:01:18 PM »

That's a real shame as it was an excellent place to go at half time.

I have mixed feelings on the opening post, because, as has been pointed out, although there is a lot of pain in the arse marketing around the modern game other things have improved.  The point about the "wall of silence" about things that supporters feel is important is very well made though.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 12:14:41 PM »
In a funny way Brian and my left foot are both right. In the 70s and 80s fans were seen as mere cattle,being treated with disregard. Now were seen as sheep,being hawked all useless tat and crap for us to consume. It's just a sign of football moving more and more away from a sport and into a money consuming monster.

Online Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 12:14:46 PM »
Excellent thread and all salient points from

The fanbase are addicts and the suppliers can do what the hell they want to part them with their money. The addicts rightfully complain about many things but still need their fix. Rather like sourcing a meeting of Narcotics Anonymous for your drug deals.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal