collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Herd and Holman  (Read 33126 times)

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Herd and Holman
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 10:34:20 AM »
I think by the looks of it, albeit one game, but Sylla just looks like a much better version of Herd.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 04:13:05 PM »
The two Aussies have been fairly underwhelming. Have they got more to give?

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 04:22:50 PM »
I think by the looks of it, albeit one game, but Sylla just looks like a much better version of Herd.

I know you hate him Paul but the lad rarely, if ever lets us down. Before we decide whether he's good enough wouldn't it be ideal to see him play in his favorite position. That curling shot into the top corner against Liverpool at Anfield was less than 12 months ago, probably the last time he played in midfield.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 04:29:54 PM »
I've always had it in my head that Herd's best position is right back. He had a cracking game there against Wolves a couple of season's ago.

Offline eastie

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 05:29:06 PM »
I like herds tenacity as a defensive midfielder, doesn't cut the mustard for me at right back but out of herd and Holman I think herd is a more usual squad player,

The three imports from the Dutch league have been a real dissappointment to me this season and while Vlaar has been the better of the 3 he hasn't been anything special.

Offline neo_Villan

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2013, 06:31:58 PM »
Herd is still a good utility player to have in the squad. In my opinion he was our best outfield player last season. And to be fair, he hasn't really had a chance in midfield this season, so it is hard to tell if he can adapt to Lambert's style of play. The same can't be said of Holman who clearly doesn't have any quality on the ball. Why some people are calling for him to come in for Bannan on Saturday is beyond me. At least with KEA it is just a question of him adapting to the pace of the league. Holman doesn't have a problem with the pace IMO. He just doesn't have the quality for this league. I think he will leave this summer.

Offline eastie

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 06:38:56 PM »
Herd is still a good utility player to have in the squad. In my opinion he was our best outfield player last season. And to be fair, he hasn't really had a chance in midfield this season, so it is hard to tell if he can adapt to Lambert's style of play. The same can't be said of Holman who clearly doesn't have any quality on the ball. Why some people are calling for him to come in for Bannan on Saturday is beyond me. At least with KEA it is just a question of him adapting to the pace of the league. Holman doesn't have a problem with the pace IMO. He just doesn't have the quality for this league. I think he will leave this summer.

I'm not sure I'd agree that kea only needs to adapt to the pace of the game , I am not convinced he is good enough at this level to be quite frank.

Offline neo_Villan

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 07:04:26 PM »

I'm not sure I'd agree that kea only needs to adapt to the pace of the game , I am not convinced he is good enough at this level to be quite frank.
I think KEA has shown enough in flashes to show he does have the quality at this level. His problem is that he can easily let a game pass him by and doesn't get stuck in enough. This is something he can learn.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 07:24:06 PM »
Herd is decent, but he isn't good enough at one role to command a place in a premier league team week in week out.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2013, 07:35:38 PM »
Herd like Lichaj is an o.k utility player who can come in for one or two games and do a job. The problem is when they play 5-6 games in a row like over xmas and then they start to get found out when teams target them as weak points like Chelsea ruthlessly did.

Shame Herd is injured as Lowton is on 9 yellows so will get a 2 match ban soon.

I would've played Herd at RB against Stoke for example.

No idea what's happened to Holman as he had some good games pre xmas but has been garbage since.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 07:47:33 PM »
Players like KEA can take a while to get used to the pace of the Prem so i would'nt be writing him and Holman off just yet. They have been in and out of the side as well for various reasons let's not forget.

Offline eastie

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 08:12:37 PM »
Players like KEA can take a while to get used to the pace of the Prem so i would'nt be writing him and Holman off just yet. They have been in and out of the side as well for various reasons let's not forget.

The likes of Westwood and benteke have adapted to the pace of the premier league - whilst it may have some bearing i just question whether either Holman and kea are good enough at this level- both have been hugely disappointing and I don't see either holding down a regular starting place in the future.

I suggest the reason they have been in and out of the side is because neither has been good enough to keep their place.

Holmans workrate cannot be questioned - it's his lack of ability that concerns me.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 08:15:32 PM by eastie »

Offline neo_Villan

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 08:13:04 PM »
The only time I thought Holman looked half decent was the Newcastle/Swansea games earlier in the season when he was deployed deeper. This is because his main role was his off-the-ball work where he closed down extremely effectively never giving the opposition any breathing space and displaying great stamina. Why PL has never played him in this role since is anyones guess.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2013, 08:16:31 PM »
Herd's being rested to make sure he's fighting fit for the end of season piss up.

Offline pedro25

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2013, 08:20:07 PM »
Thought Holman was good v Norwich also in the League Cup.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal