collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 56th minute respect  (Read 10789 times)

Offline richardhubbard

Re: 56th minute respect
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 11:56:58 AM »
Great idea, UTV

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 11:59:11 AM »
Anybody not showing respect to Bradford tonight would be a scumsucker of the highest order.

a) because we expect other fans to respect our 19th minute tribute, or at least not dick about when we do it, and
b) like Hillsborough, it was a tragedy that could have happened to any of us.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 12:00:35 PM »
The three football disasters of the 1980s all made horrific viewing, but the Bradford one for me remains the most horrible thing I've ever seen on television.

It almost seems forgotten, as another horrific event came along four years later, but it was just horrendous watching that unfold.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 12:03:14 PM »
The three football disasters of the 1980s all made horrific viewing, but the Bradford one for me remains the most horrible thing I've ever seen on television.

It almost seems forgotten, as another horrific event came along four years later, but it was just horrendous watching that unfold.

As with the person on the previous page, we had to watch it for fire safety reasons.  I recall there were some younger fans laughing and smiling at the cameras on the pitch, presumably unaware of the horror unravelling in the stands.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 12:17:25 PM »
I remember watching a program where one of the survivors, a fella in his 30s spoke of how he had to choose between pulling his young son or his elderly father to safety. He chose his son and his dad perished. Not even the mentally toughest would get over that.

Offline NeilH

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 12:22:15 PM »

I remember being sat at home as the live pictures came onto the telly. I never witnessed scenes so shocking as those few minutes when the stand turned into an inferno, until 9/11 unfolded.
I shudder when I think of lack of basic safety in that old wooden stand, that led to the tragedy.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 12:24:39 PM »
Knowing our away support, it'll be respected.

You have more confidence than me.

Why?  Our away support on the whole are fantastic.

Exactly, "on the whole" is a good modifier to Clampy's original post.

Having seen/heard the behaviour of some of our away support (eg the "let him die" chant at the WBA fan having a heart attack) it would not surprise me at all if some people did not respect the Bradford tribute.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 12:26:35 PM »
I shudder when I think of lack of basic safety in that old wooden stand, that led to the tragedy.

In the first edition of Simon Inglis's Football Grounds of Great Britain ( surely one of the finest books ever written), Inglis mentions the amount of old litter piled up under the wooden stand at Bradford and how it could be a potential fire hazrds. This was probably 4 years before the disaster.

It was an Archie Leitch-designed stand as well?   

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 12:33:24 PM »
Knowing our away support, it'll be respected.

You have more confidence than me.

Why?  Our away support on the whole are fantastic.

Exactly, "on the whole" is a good modifier to Clampy's original post.

Having seen/heard the behaviour of some of our away support (eg the "let him die" chant at the WBA fan having a heart attack) it would not surprise me at all if some people did not respect the Bradford tribute.

A few years back we played United on a Saturday tea time on a freezing cold night. After the game I was walking back to the car up what I think is called Bevington Rd when a few yards in front of me an old fella collapsed with what i'm guessing was a heart attack. I'd just done my coaching badge and part of that was emergency first aid. I gave him CPR. As this was going on I was shouting for someone to phone for an ambulance and I looked up to see three blokes, not teenagers, blokes, who rather than phone 999 were instead videoing the event on their phones while others simply stepped over the stricken fella. They were all Villa fans, but I would never associate myself with them, utter scumbags who just happen to support the same club. What i hope is people like this are in a real minority.

Online ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2013, 12:39:26 PM »
Had to watch this during a fire marshal course. The fire brigade had told them to clear the rubbish away before the fire. Also the club had worried about people coming through an entrance to watch the game for free, so they padlocked it, leading topeople being unable to get out and burning to death.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2013, 12:41:34 PM »
This is a very good article about Bradford and Hillsborough

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/sep/15/hillsborough-bradford-daniel-taylor

Bradford, with a turnover in excess of £600,000, had the money in place to make their ground safe. They chose to spend it on creating a promotion-winning team, chasing the dream despite the potential fire risk of litter gathering beneath a timber structure being drawn to their attention by the Health and Safety Executive, twice, in 1981, and the county council in 1984.

After the fire, most likely started by a discarded match or cigarette, a charred copy of the Bradford Telegraph and Argus, from Monday, 4 November 1968, was discovered in the debris. An empty packet of peanuts was also found, costing six old pennies. Decimalisation being in 1971, it had been there at least 14 years. Valley Parade was a monument to neglect, a ticking time-bomb that should have told us football desperately had to change its ways.

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2013, 01:03:59 PM »
Saw this on twitter yesterday, would be a fantastic gesture.

Offline lordmcgrath5

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2013, 01:04:18 PM »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/sep/15/hillsborough-bradford-daniel-taylor

Bradford, with a turnover in excess of £600,000, had the money in place to make their ground safe. They chose to spend it on creating a promotion-winning team, chasing the dream despite the potential fire risk of litter gathering beneath a timber structure being drawn to their attention by the Health and Safety Executive, twice, in 1981, and the county council in 1984.

After the fire, most likely started by a discarded match or cigarette, a charred copy of the Bradford Telegraph and Argus, from Monday, 4 November 1968, was discovered in the debris. An empty packet of peanuts was also found, costing six old pennies. Decimalisation being in 1971, it had been there at least 14 years. Valley Parade was a monument to neglect, a ticking time-bomb that should have told us football desperately had to change its ways.

That is genuinely shocking. What a disgrace.

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2013, 01:24:43 PM »

It is indeed shocking, but I wonder how many other grounds were in a similar condition.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2013, 03:16:18 PM »

It is indeed shocking, but I wonder how many other grounds were in a similar condition.
Lots of them i would think. If it had not happened to Bradford it would have happened to some other club as the vast majority of grounds were shit holes.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal