collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Badges  (Read 21649 times)

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
Re: Villa Badges
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2013, 05:26:45 PM »
The embroidered blue lion rampant with the letters AV underneath from about 1971ish. Was excellent. The lion looked well hard.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2013, 05:28:44 PM »
Can somebody add a poll?

Offline Ego Uhiogu

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2013, 05:30:49 PM »
I grew up with the stripy shield badge so that one is the one I identify with the most, although I agree that the circle badge is by far the best. For a club with as much tradition as we do, we change our badge remarkably often. I've watched Villa since 98 and I've seen us have three different badges.

I've got used to the current one, but when I sit and stare at it I'm reminded of how crap it is. I like that it has FC on it, it's just a shame they left our name off. Also, the shade of blue is wrong, which is why the sleeves on this year's kit is wrong, as they tried to match it up. It's just far too simple, plain and generally uninspiring.

As I remember it the club did a survey when redesigning it, seeing what the fans wanting in terms of shape, lettering etc. They mashed all the results together and this is what we were left with. Urgh.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2013, 05:31:24 PM »
There's my plan for some light hearted discussion away from the current issues gone out the window!

You're not a proper fan unless you're angry all the time.

Offline Archie

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2013, 05:34:30 PM »
I think the old circular badge of the early 80's is by far the best that we ever had. It was classy. As far as the current is concerned, it has a little grown on me but it remains poor especially because it doesn't harmonize well with the shade of claret of the shirt, imo.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2013, 05:38:37 PM »
I think the old circular badge of the early 80's is by far the best that we ever had. It was classy. As far as the current is concerned, it has a little grown on me but it remains poor especially because it doesn't harmonize well with the shade of claret of the shirt, imo.

And the gold lion on sky blue background just doesn't look good.

Offline MarkM

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2013, 05:45:03 PM »
I like it, I got it tattooed on my arm

My you I have the round badge with Champions of Europe written underneath tattooed on my chest!

Am I just sad?

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2013, 06:01:10 PM »
There's my plan for some light hearted discussion away from the current issues gone out the window!

You're not a proper fan unless you're angry all the time.

Or hate Lerner it should seem.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2013, 06:12:46 PM »
I'm used to the new crest now but really did not like it when it was first unveiled. I preferred Risso's alternative.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2013, 06:31:11 PM »
Still don't like it.
Yellow on pale blue just doesn't stand out, the lion needs some claws and above all....it doesn't have 'ASTON VILLA' on it.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2013, 06:32:11 PM »
Can somebody add a poll?

Suggest the options and I'll happily oblige.

Offline Chris Stares

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2013, 06:36:06 PM »
Don't like the latest badge - that expanse of light blue with the yellow lion on it is just garish.  And didn't really like the stripey one either - too fussy.

The embroidered blue lion rampant with the letters AV underneath from about 1971ish. Was excellent. The lion looked well hard.

Like others have mentioned, my favourite is the late 70's/early 80's circular one, the one mentioned by TLP is a really close second as it was on the very first Villa kit I got as a 5 year-old!  It's minimalist and very classy.  That's why I was very partial to some of the mock-ups that Marshall did when we were speculating on what the new Macron kit designs would be like:

http://www.heroesandvillains.info/forumv3/index.php?topic=46317.msg1989389#msg1989389

Both the mocked-up home and away shirts in the above link, (especially the badges), are absolute class.

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2013, 09:08:43 PM »
This Villa badge is the worst in our history, the lion is neutered, the fonts are clumsy, the colours abysmal, the star weak, the badge shape too simple, the concept poor, never liked it from day one and still don't today.
It looks like it's been designed by a kid with Paint on a Computer, competition winner circa 1985.
A grower it certainly ain't.
Our 'classic' shield from the 1950s is the best Villa badge, with rampant lion and scroll 'prepared', any new revised badge should have been based on this.
Just my opinion as a designer.
Everything about Villa is shit at the moment, including this. :-[

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2013, 09:12:10 PM »
This Villa badge is the worst in our history, the lion is neutered, the fonts are clumsy, the colours abysmal, the star weak, the badge shape too simple, the concept poor, never liked it from day one and still don't today.
It looks like it's been designed by a kid with Paint on a Computer, competition winner circa 1985.
A grower it certainly ain't.
Our 'classic' shield from the 1950s is the best Villa badge, with rampant lion and scroll 'prepared', any new revised badge should have been based on this.
Just my opinion as a designer.
Everything about Villa is shit at the moment, including this. :-[

Spot on.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2013, 09:18:35 PM »
The 57 FA Cup shirt badge is class, the round one reminds me of our finest moment, sadly, not to be repeated for some time, the stripey badge is my favorite one and the new one lays way back in last place, still not a bad badge but just doesn't scream ASTON VILLA to me. I have one 57 shirt, one 80's round badge shirt, three stripey badge shirts and three with the new badge on. It confuses the fuck out of the West Ham retards who are the main lot in my local, and that is a bit of fun.
Just a question, Have Manure, Arsenvengeral, Manshitty or the Russian mafia ever changed their badges ? Cannot say that i have noticed. Dont pay that much attention to other badges to be honest, it is a giveaway wen they have Scholes,Henry, Tevez or Fat Frank on the back of their shirts. Just a question, anybody got the knowledge ? And has any team changed their badge as many times as we have ?
Enter Statto :P

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal