collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Badges  (Read 21640 times)

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
Re: Villa Badges
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 04:47:43 PM »
There's my plan for some light hearted discussion away from the current issues gone out the window!

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 04:48:00 PM »
It has all the hallmarks of being designed by a rank amateur - or if not that, then maybe a committee. 

I'm quite sure there are some on H&V who could have produced something much better, but then again, I like the '57 cup winning badge - echos of the old Trinity mosaic. Proper shield shape as well and we don't need our name/initials on it either. We are Aston Villa, nobody needs it to be spelled out.

Offline Simba

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 04:49:09 PM »
I hate the new badge, sorry. It is very poor design work.

It is weak with the yellow on light blue. The Lion is cartoon like and should have separation as on the stripy thing, and claws..... The shield is too narrow. The faux twenties letraset "prepared" font is pathetic. And - we are ASTON VILLA not AVFC.

I preferred the old , old, old, old (if you include Docherty's early seventies lion)  badge last used in the sixties. But the round badge was fine and famous and we should have stayed with that.

Just my tuppence worth.

Offline Simba

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 04:50:11 PM »
E I Adio - snap! Same thoughts, same time.

Offline rutski

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 04:51:13 PM »
i like the kingswinford lions club badge!

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 04:52:58 PM »
It's really not my cup of tea, but i'm loathe to say too much against it in case i'm accused of some sort of Guy Fawkes plot to blow up Villa Park.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 04:54:48 PM »
Didn't RL have a big input into this though? Not a dig, just an observation, that a businessman doesn't always make a great designer.

I'm also surprised that there were no checks in it, which is a Lernerism.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 04:56:04 PM »
There's my plan for some light hearted discussion away from the current issues gone out the window!

You were clearly deluded 8)

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 04:57:32 PM »
Didn't RL have a big input into this though? Not a dig, just an observation, that a businessman doesn't always make a great designer.

Not sure, but I know from the early days that they held great store by what people on the internet thought.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 04:58:06 PM »

You were clearly deluded 8)

As always :(

Online German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 05:00:24 PM »
Anyway... Back to badges: It's the old round one for me! I don't mind the shape of the present  one, but there's altogether too much blue. I expect it's so that it stands out against the claret shirt body, but it looks wrong, in isolation.

Also, it's just occurred to me that the position of the star makes it look a bit like a cat playing with a Christmas tree decoration.

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 05:02:10 PM »

Also, it's just occurred to me that the position of the star makes it look a bit like a cat playing with a Christmas tree decoration.

I can vouch for that. Bastard cats.

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 05:04:39 PM »
E I Adio - snap! Same thoughts, same time.

Yes. Great minds.

I'm okay with the round badge as well, but why do we need to change the badge at all? It seems to me that the design gets worse every time it's changed, although it's hard to imagine how it could get any worse next time.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 05:06:59 PM »
It has all the hallmarks of being designed by a rank amateur - or if not that, then maybe a committee. 

I'm quite sure there are some on H&V who could have produced something much better, but then again, I like the '57 cup winning badge - echos of the old Trinity mosaic. Proper shield shape as well and we don't need our name/initials on it either. We are Aston Villa, nobody needs it to be spelled out.

Agreed. If Lerner ever does sell up, the badge should be the first thing to be changed. Looks like YTS designed it.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2013, 05:14:55 PM »
The old round one was easily the best.  Wasn't a big fan of the old stripey shield one.  The stripey Muller kit had a plastic embossed badge of that on it rather than a proper embroidered one, which probably made it our tackiest, most cheaply produced kit ever.  Which is a shame as the team that wore it was fantastic.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal