collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wage Bill Nonsense  (Read 5710 times)

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
Re: Wage Bill Nonsese
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 01:49:49 PM »
Obviously a typo but was the intention to call this thread 'wage bill NONSENSE' or 'wage bill Nonces' ?

Offline Dave Javu

• GM : 31.07.2019
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 02:00:44 PM »
I've not been one for criticising Randy...

....buuuuuuutttt, I gather that the fees that he/his club management organisation took (just after the takeover) were way more than an eye-watering amount (£7m p.a. from memory). Now that he appears to spend a lot less time "hands on" in England, I'm wondering what the present figure is. If we're all busy trimming costs (and I don't think that's such a bad idea), could some savings be made in that department?

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 02:00:46 PM »
Stephen Ireland drawing any kind of wage makes me want to vomit. I wouldn't pay him in washers.

Fixed

Offline jcsutv

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 04:08:23 PM »
Am I right in thinking that when a footballler is on £5k a week that is his take home pay, so the club pay a significant amount more than £5k per week.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, 04:12:47 PM »
Am I right in thinking that when a footballler is on £5k a week that is his take home pay, so the club pay a significant amount more than £5k per week.

It very much depends who is doing the quoting, that never used to be the case but the influx of foreign players who don't understand the UK tax system (the same issue happens with every country) has led to change in a number of contracts so that the player gets to see their in the bank money rather than a theoretical figure that everyone else gets.  It's clearly asking too much for a professional who's negotiating a multi-million pound contract, along with an agent who is being paid a fortune to be there to understand the difference between Net and Gross.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 04:16:04 PM »
Don't think I've ever seen any of our players listed in the 100k per week bracket.

Ireland, N'Zog and Given I've seen listed as 60k.  Bent is supposed to be our top earner, on 70k.

The wage bill definitely did need addressing (and still does), but when you prioritise that over footballing matters (as we have done since 2010) you can see the consequences. 

Offline Dave Javu

• GM : 31.07.2019
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2013, 04:17:15 PM »
It's clearly asking too much for a professional who's negotiating a multi-million pound contract, along with an agent who is being paid a fortune to be there to understand the difference between Net and Gross.

You obviously mean that Stephen Ireland is Grossly overpaid and just doesn't know where the Net is.

Offline SashasGrandad

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2013, 04:17:47 PM »
Stephen Ireland drawing any kind of wage makes me want to vomit. I wouldn't pay him in washers.

Fixed

We've probably paid him more washers than Meccano have made for their kits!

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 04:33:39 PM »
Don't think I've ever seen any of our players listed in the 100k per week bracket.

Ireland, N'Zog and Given I've seen listed as 60k.  Bent is supposed to be our top earner, on 70k.

The wage bill definitely did need addressing (and still does), but when you prioritise that over footballing matters (as we have done since 2010) you can see the consequences.

It's been well reported that Ireland is on £85,000pw at Villa and that Bent is also around that figure.  Gabby is another who has been reported to be on big money (£65,000pw).

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2013, 04:52:33 PM »
As of about a year ago there were various quotes that the overall wage bill is down to where it should be. Even if the target has been revised down that is not really the problem.

We have a large raft of players who have either been contributing very little or nothing at all.

I would guess that the op's numbers are low and incomplete. I make it something like :

given - 65
hutton - 40
warnock - 50
dunne - 65
ireland - 90
nzogbia - 50
agbonlahor - 60
bent - 80

That's 500k a week adding bugger all value for whatever reason. An incredible millstone for a club of our turnover to try to carry. People should remember this when bitching about Lambert's buying policy.

8 replacement players on 60k per week and actually earning it would transform the current squad. It would also save us £1m a year.

Offline pedro25

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 05:07:48 PM »

I dont think we have

£9.5 m N'Zogbia
£8 m Ireland
£6 m Makoun
£3.5 m Given
£7 m Benteke
£3.5 m Vlaar
£3.5 m Hutton
£24 m Bent
£2.5 m KEA
£2 m Bennett
£2 m Lowton
£2.5 m Westwood
£0.5 m Bowery
£0 Guzan
£0 Holman
loan Jenas
loan Bradley

That's over £70 m on transfer fees alone before you consider the wages of the likes of Given, Hutton, N'Zog, Bent, Ireland etc.  How much have the Swansea/West Ham/Newcastle/West Brom etc. teams cost to assemble?  Having stripped out Carew, Young, Downing, Milner, Cuellar, Collins etc. surely you could have given any reasonable manager, an Allardyce, Pardew etc. a basic squad of Agbonlahor, Bannan, Abrighton, Delph, Clark etc. and then said here's the best part of £75 over 3 years and they would have provided a mid table outfit at least.

I dont think you can lay the blame solely at Lerner, more the crap signings of Houllier and McLeish and horrendous injury lists over the last 2 years.

Offline davevillan

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2013, 06:31:30 PM »

I dont think we have

£9.5 m N'Zogbia
£8 m Ireland
£6 m Makoun
£3.5 m Given
£7 m Benteke
£3.5 m Vlaar
£3.5 m Hutton
£24 m Bent
£2.5 m KEA
£2 m Bennett
£2 m Lowton
£2.5 m Westwood
£0.5 m Bowery
£0 Guzan
£0 Holman
loan Jenas
loan Bradley

That's over £70 m on transfer fees alone before you consider the wages of the likes of Given, Hutton, N'Zog, Bent, Ireland etc.  How much have the Swansea/West Ham/Newcastle/West Brom etc. teams cost to assemble?  Having stripped out Carew, Young, Downing, Milner, Cuellar, Collins etc. surely you could have given any reasonable manager, an Allardyce, Pardew etc. a basic squad of Agbonlahor, Bannan, Abrighton, Delph, Clark etc. and then said here's the best part of £75 over 3 years and they would have provided a mid table outfit at least.

I dont think you can lay the blame solely at Lerner, more the crap signings of Houllier and McLeish and horrendous injury lists over the last 2 years.
Also the signings of mon as well..Apart from Barry, Young, Milner, Downing...how much did the rest go for, and where are they now??
Too many average players on big money not contributing was the start of the problems!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal