collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by Risso
[Today at 06:12:51 PM]

Champions League Contention by LeeB
[Today at 05:45:07 PM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by Demitri_C
[Today at 05:41:09 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Smirker
[Today at 05:38:49 PM]

Arsenal 0-2 Aston Villa Post match interaction by LeeB
[Today at 05:19:25 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 05:11:35 PM]

Villa Park by FrankyH
[Today at 05:02:16 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Dave
[Today at 04:51:22 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: NSWE Investment by Risso
[Today at 06:12:51 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Ducksworthy
[Today at 06:07:01 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 06:04:11 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Drummond
[Today at 05:59:46 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by AV82EC
[Today at 05:54:49 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by chrisw1
[Today at 05:52:58 PM]

[Today at 05:48:14 PM]

[Today at 05:47:02 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Wisdom of Roberto Martinez - a word to the wise  (Read 6656 times)

Offline sonlyme

The Wisdom of Roberto Martinez - a word to the wise
« on: December 31, 2012, 05:16:34 PM »
Yes it's been awful.

Headless chickens we have been.  Naive, gullible, and foolish.  Defeats have been compounded by a suicidal openness.  In trying to play the wrong ball at the wrong time we have only added to our own woes.  And yet...

And yet this is the same record breaking side of youngsters who pushed league leaders Manchester United so hard.  The same young side that smashed Liverpool with graft and style at Anfield.  The same written off young side who ended in form Norwich's ten game unbeaten run at Carrow Road to reach a winnable League Cup semi-final.

And that's the thing with kids.  They blow hot and cold.  Consistency is something that comes with experience - and our young squad are growing through this hard time.  Teams can cope with inexperienced naivety in midfield, even in attack, but in defence it is deadly.  And that is something we now know all too well.

But lets get perspective - if you looked at the League fixtures and saw Liverpool away, Chelsea away, and Spurs at home - and I told you that we would be unbeaten in those games - would you be unhappy?  I ask - because from that list we took 3 points for a win.  The same as if we had taken 3 points from three draws.  You may like to point to goal difference - but I would respond - points win prizes.

Villa are in a bad patch.  They are so thin on centre halves that they have had to go beyond picking young untested defenders and have had to pick young untested midfielders to play as defenders.  It shouldn't really come as a surprise that we have been getting tonked.

Lambert is no fool.  He will know what he needs and Lerner will back him.

I was surprised by the gentle wisdom of Roberto Martinez on the subject - if anyone knows about enduring bad results and coming good it is him.  He tells the Birmingham Mail....

... he believes if the whole club stick together and are patient then Villa will soon see the rewards.

“Chop and change doesn’t bring you success,” he said.

“It could affect the short term of results, but the most important thing is to have a continuity, to be patient, to understand where you want to get to and work hard towards it.

“There is no big secret. The bigger the change the bigger the period it’s going to need to get it right.

“But if you look at this Villa squad and the players that are injured and out and they are going to come in, it is an extremely competitive team and this team is going to brush aside these scorelines and be ready for the next game.

“That’s the nature of Paul Lambert and he’s done it before and he will do it again.”

Martinez added: “Obviously at Wigan we are expected to fight to avoid relegation,

“I’m not saying that’s something we look forward to but the truth is when you’ve got the whole unity of the football club helping the players week in, week out, and they’re not worried about the scorelines, it really helps, particularly in the transitional periods.

“When you change things around and you bring in different ideas, and you get young players in the side, you just need to be a little bit patient sometimes.”

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-will-be-fine-under-paul-394335

We will blow hot and we will blow cold.  The month of December alone has seen us as the best thing since sliced bread - shortly followed by being the worst pile of rotten garbage since the binmen went out in 1979.  Both cannot be true.

Losing hurts.  Losing badly hurts even more.  But we help no-one with seeking to lay blame - in finger pointing - in getting on the backs of our talented young team.  Does anyone here think those lads enjoyed losing like that?

Our opinions are many and varied - but there is one we should all unite in - our manager Paul Lambert is the best thing to happen to this club since Douglas Herbert finally took his fingers from the till.  He will turn this situation around - by coaching - by managing - and perhaps by selling and buying.  He is a class manager and a class human being.  He will get it right.

We have to hold on tight and try our best to enjoy what will be a roller coaster season - and remember roller coasters are not all down - they have to have ups as well - otherwise they are called a cliff.  And if you think Villa are going to fall off a cliff - you took a wrong turn as a kid and ended up at the wrong ground.

Speaking of which brings me to this difficult subject.  Try to find some sympathy for the Bluenoses in your life.  I know.  I know.  Hideous gloating gurners.  They take more interest in who's beating the Villa than they do in their own team.  And why wouldn't they?  Hovering just above relegation from the Championship, with a loathed manager, a loathed bankrupt owner, and the Football League questioning their shadowy financial health.  Little clubs need a little mentality.

We are Aston Villa - and little has never, nor ever will be, for us.  Where-ever we are.

Trust - Patience - Loyalty - Class.

That is Villa.

Enjoy the ride.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 05:24:30 PM by sonlyme »

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
Re: The Wisdom of Roberto Martinez - a word to the wise
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 05:24:14 PM »

Tommy used to work on the docks
Union's been on strike
He's down on his luck...it's tough, so tough
Gina works the diner all day
Working for her man, she brings home her pay
For love - for love

She says we've got to hold on to what we've got
'Cause it doesn't make a difference
If we make it or not
We've got each other and that's a lot
For love - we'll give it a shot

Whooah, we're half way there
Livin' on a prayer
Take my hand and we'll make it - I swear
Livin' on a prayer

Tommy's got his six string in hock
Now he's holding in what he used
To make it talk - so tough, it's tough
Gina dreams of running away
When she cries in the night
Tommy whispers baby it's okay, someday

We've got to hold on to what we've got
If we make it or not

Livin' on a prayer
Livin' on a prayer

We've got to hold on ready or not
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got

Livin' on a prayer
Livin' on a prayer

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 05:25:24 PM »
Blimey, this even outdoes the "proud to be a Villa fan" thread for pure schmaltz.

Offline sonlyme

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 05:26:03 PM »
Clowns to the left of me
Jokers to the right
Here I am
Stuck in the middle with you.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 05:31:28 PM »
I can imagine Simon Bates reading that out on Our Tune if he still does it..if he's still alive.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »
It's a passionate and reasoned opening post, sonlyme, and "well done" for it.
I like the Martinez quotes and I think your interpretation of them is apposite.

But we're still going to have to fasten the seat belts for a rough ride and a squeaky bum.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 05:45:08 PM »
I think it's a good post. Interesting, well written and well reasoned.

It only lacks swelling heroic music, and black-and-white footage of heroic Soviet workers building T-34 tanks.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 05:51:02 PM »
I'd like the wording synced in with one of Hitler's old rally speeches.

Offline sonlyme

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 05:56:47 PM »
You could do a 'Downfall' on it - but that would take effort.

Given the general outlook on here maybe a sub-title 'Das Boot' would be more appropriate.

Do yourselves a favour chaps - bin that 'Best of' Leonard Cohen you're listening to and try a little of this...

Some things in life are bad
They can really make you mad
Other things just make you swear and curse.
When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best...

etc etc.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 06:01:09 PM »
I'd love the team to run out to this

Offline claretandbeer

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 06:13:35 PM »
Brilliant,sonlyme,and to quote MON,"truly brilliant in all honesty".

Offline nigel

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 06:24:00 PM »

Tommy used to work on the docks
Union's been on strike
He's down on his luck...it's tough, so tough
Gina works the diner all day
Working for her man, she brings home her pay
For love - for love

She says we've got to hold on to what we've got
If we make it or not

Livin' on a prayer
Livin' on a prayer

Tommy's got his six string in hock
Now he's holding in what he used
To make it talk - so tough, it's tough
Gina dreams of running away
When she cries in the night
Tommy whispers baby it's okay, someday

We've got to hold on to what we've got
If we make it or not

Livin' on a prayer
Livin' on a prayer

We've got to hold on ready or not
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got

Livin' on a prayer
Livin' on a prayer

Flippin' great post.
Probably my favorite song too.

Come onnnn VILLA!!

Offline nigel

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 06:25:37 PM »
Yes it's been awful.

Headless chickens we have been.  Naive, gullible, and foolish.  Defeats have been compounded by a suicidal openness.  In trying to play the wrong ball at the wrong time we have only added to our own woes.  And yet...

And yet this is the same record breaking side of youngsters who pushed league leaders Manchester United so hard.  The same young side that smashed Liverpool with graft and style at Anfield.  The same written off young side who ended in form Norwich's ten game unbeaten run at Carrow Road to reach a winnable League Cup semi-final.

And that's the thing with kids.  They blow hot and cold.  Consistency is something that comes with experience - and our young squad are growing through this hard time.  Teams can cope with inexperienced naivety in midfield, even in attack, but in defence it is deadly.  And that is something we now know all too well.

But lets get perspective - if you looked at the League fixtures and saw Liverpool away, Chelsea away, and Spurs at home - and I told you that we would be unbeaten in those games - would you be unhappy?  I ask - because from that list we took 3 points for a win.  The same as if we had taken 3 points from three draws.  You may like to point to goal difference - but I would respond - points win prizes.

Villa are in a bad patch.  They are so thin on centre halves that they have had to go beyond picking young untested defenders and have had to pick young untested midfielders to play as defenders.  It shouldn't really come as a surprise that we have been getting tonked.

Lambert is no fool.  He will know what he needs and Lerner will back him.

I was surprised by the gentle wisdom of Roberto Martinez on the subject - if anyone knows about enduring bad results and coming good it is him.  He tells the Birmingham Mail....

... he believes if the whole club stick together and are patient then Villa will soon see the rewards.

“Chop and change doesn’t bring you success,” he said.

“It could affect the short term of results, but the most important thing is to have a continuity, to be patient, to understand where you want to get to and work hard towards it.

“There is no big secret. The bigger the change the bigger the period it’s going to need to get it right.

“But if you look at this Villa squad and the players that are injured and out and they are going to come in, it is an extremely competitive team and this team is going to brush aside these scorelines and be ready for the next game.

“That’s the nature of Paul Lambert and he’s done it before and he will do it again.”

Martinez added: “Obviously at Wigan we are expected to fight to avoid relegation,

“I’m not saying that’s something we look forward to but the truth is when you’ve got the whole unity of the football club helping the players week in, week out, and they’re not worried about the scorelines, it really helps, particularly in the transitional periods.

“When you change things around and you bring in different ideas, and you get young players in the side, you just need to be a little bit patient sometimes.”

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-will-be-fine-under-paul-394335

We will blow hot and we will blow cold.  The month of December alone has seen us as the best thing since sliced bread - shortly followed by being the worst pile of rotten garbage since the binmen went out in 1979.  Both cannot be true.

Losing hurts.  Losing badly hurts even more.  But we help no-one with seeking to lay blame - in finger pointing - in getting on the backs of our talented young team.  Does anyone here think those lads enjoyed losing like that?

Our opinions are many and varied - but there is one we should all unite in - our manager Paul Lambert is the best thing to happen to this club since Douglas Herbert finally took his fingers from the till.  He will turn this situation around - by coaching - by managing - and perhaps by selling and buying.  He is a class manager and a class human being.  He will get it right.

We have to hold on tight and try our best to enjoy what will be a roller coaster season - and remember roller coasters are not all down - they have to have ups as well - otherwise they are called a cliff.  And if you think Villa are going to fall off a cliff - you took a wrong turn as a kid and ended up at the wrong ground.

Speaking of which brings me to this difficult subject.  Try to find some sympathy for the Bluenoses in your life.  I know.  I know.  Hideous gloating gurners.  They take more interest in who's beating the Villa than they do in their own team.  And why wouldn't they?  Hovering just above relegation from the Championship, with a loathed manager, a loathed bankrupt owner, and the Football League questioning their shadowy financial health.  Little clubs need a little mentality.

We are Aston Villa - and little has never, nor ever will be, for us.  Where-ever we are.

Trust - Patience - Loyalty - Class.

That is Villa.

Enjoy the ride.

Wonderful post

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 06:44:06 PM »
Am I the only one who reads sonlyme's posts in a comedy Frankie Howerd accent?

More camp than a row of tents.

Happy New Year!

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 07:20:20 PM »
Wigan made a profit of £4.5 million this year.Maybe he has a point.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal