collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: All us Villa Fans, miles away from home.  (Read 19963 times)

Offline danlanza

All us Villa Fans, miles away from home.
« on: December 30, 2012, 11:00:06 PM »
At least you people who go to the games are still able to let us lot of Ex-pats know what is going on.
If it was not for the work and the lifestyle that Jenny and me have over here i would be back like a shot.
I miss the Holte End so much. Many happy years spent, terraced and seated. The Holte gets the hairs on my neck up every game. People go on and on about the Kop at Anfield, The Stretford End E.T.C. The Holte end is,when on form, the best area of any ground in the World to be. It is bouncing with Villa lads and lasses, and the noise is incredible. I love the Holte End.

Offline peter w

Re: All us Villa Fans, miles away from home.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 11:04:55 PM »
Miles away from home? I'm in my living-room.

Oh, I see what you mean. I feel sorry for you lot having to watch that week in week out. I'd miss my sanity and sense of humour.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 11:05:15 PM »
Please come home. We need all of you here at VP next home game.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 11:08:35 PM »

Oh, I see what you mean. I feel sorry for you lot having to watch that week in week out. I'd miss my sanity and sense of humour.
I feel sorry for all of you who are not able to watch this every week. All I know is that I will go to heaven for my endeavour and you lot will be on the other side of the fence!

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 11:14:12 PM »
It will still be here for you when you get the chance, Dan.
A local publican once said to me 'The money that you spend on going to the Villa could be your Villa in Spain'.
We all have our choices but life must come first.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 11:14:37 PM »

I do, and my sense of humour is getting a bit stretched mate. UTV

Offline danlanza

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 11:22:23 PM »
It will still be here for you when you get the chance, Dan.
A local publican once said to me 'The money that you spend on going to the Villa could be your Villa in Spain'.
We all have our choices but life must come first.
Cheers Dave. UTV mate.

Offline Vancouver

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 05:22:07 AM »
I sometimes feel fortunate that I'm so far removed that I can switch off. But yes, there are many days when I do miss it. I find it hard to explain what it's like going to the game. The whole day experience. We used to say that the game got in the way of a good day out

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 05:57:02 AM »
I miss it. I go everytime I am back in England which is always a treat. I find it a lot easier to take a loss being at Villa park than watching it on TV.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 07:12:42 AM »
It's easier to ignore the shit results when you live away, but the flip side is that it also makes you feel disconnected when we get a good one - which isn't often to be fair. Living in Scando land means I'm not far from loads of EPL fans anyway, who don't let me forget any crap results, the bastards.

I've been to the Chelsea and Spurs games since I've been home. Not the greatest pair of matches I've ever been to but Chelsea meant I got to meet up with the Kingston Lions, who I hadn't seen since Arsenal away a couple of years ago. Despite the result, it was a great day out. For the Spurs game I took nephew #2 to his first ever game, and although he says he supports Arsenal, I think I saw a glint in his eye when the teams walked out.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 07:31:24 AM »
Those of us on the home front think of you as missionaries.

Spread the word!

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 07:33:35 AM »
We used to say that the game got in the way of a good day out
We still say the 90 minutes is the worst part of the day.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 08:09:01 AM »
When I was an expat I used to spend fortunes coming back to watch villa and weekends away in Aston, Lozells, Nechells. Worth every penny.

Offline Singapore Villa

• GM : 09.06.2019
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 08:15:43 AM »
They are made for the Premier League here in Singapore and they actually broadcast ALL the games on TV.  I have actually seen more of the Villa since I have been in Asia than when I worked in London (I usually went to only a handful of games per season).  It is a small world though as when I moved to Sydney back in 2004 I arrived at my desk and guess what?  I am only sat next to a Small Heath fan!  Then I move to Singapore and another close colleague is a Blues fan too!  Madness, can't get away from the smelly bastards.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 08:56:37 AM »
I remember, vividly, my last season ticket. Before the season started i went to VP on a Sunday and walked around the inside of the stadium. No body else was there at the time apart from a few security lads. I went to my seat in the Holte and sat there and just shut my eyes for a minute or two. I swear i could hear more noise that day than any game i went to that last season. To sit there, alone, looking at the pitch, the stadium, gave me goosebumps.Got a cheeky photo of me sat in the home dugout aswell.
It truly is a great footballing venue, all the FA Cup semi's played there, Euro 96 with the Jocks, Tranmere in the semi of the League cup, how we won that one i will never know, what a night.
During these hard times, if you get the chance, go to VP when it is empty and just sit and shut your eyes and remember. I bet all of you will have a tear in your eyes before you leave. UTV.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal