collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Randy Lerner  (Read 155218 times)

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
Re: Randy Lerner
« Reply #795 on: March 15, 2013, 09:17:06 PM »
Appointing a person to effectivley vet potential signings is not ideal, these "Director of football" types almost inevitably lead to friction within clubs, just look at Spurs and Liverpool, theres nothing wrong with a chairman having faith in his managers choices, although, given. that began to backfire badly under MON, the opposite of all this is an Abramovitch type who seems to pressure managers into signing players he likes - often with disasterous results.

It can work well, it depends upon attitudes. If we were to go for it I suspect we would appoint the 'dof' first and he would appoint his manager of choice.

O'Neill would not have countenanced it either way, 'manager is all' is very much his era even if 'his era' was probably years before he actually managed.

If Lerner had tried it, or had even exercised his own veto on player purchases, he would have been fried. 'I've saved us from a financial shithouse' would not have gone down well with either supporters or the press at the time.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #796 on: March 15, 2013, 10:22:09 PM »
Lerners stewardship of the club gets some unfair criticsm, RL`s one major strategic blunder was appointing Alex Mcleish in the face of violent opposition, not giving MON the Milner cash was entirely understandable, and probably necessary for the good of the clubs finances, no-one expected MON to quit in the manner he did, which is where it all started to unravel, the Houlier appointment was ill-starred for obvious reasons, but where did the club take medical advice regarding his Heart condition?. Lerner has spent a significant, if diminishing amount of money on a club who`s average gates are not colossal by any means, He delivered Paul Lambert as the overwhelming fans choice after Mcleish was dismissed, where Lerner needs to improve is in his PR which is non existent at a time when the club needs visible leadership.

Apponting McLeish was a strategic blunder, that much is true (and it's putting it a bit lightly), but I think you're missing the bit where he's really been a failure.

His failure to appoint people at the club with some football nous led to us relying on one manager's word that everything was fine for far too long. There was nobody with an overview keeping an eye on contracts which needed to be renewed, or players which needed to be moved on, other than the manager of the day.

That was his main failure at the Browns, too, poor appointments.

Look how many players we've signed since 2006 who have been on big money, barely featured, sat out the length of their contracts, and walked away for nothing.

Nigel Reo-Coker's total cost to the club, for example, isn't much short of £20m. Then take a look at what the likes of Cuellar, Heskey, and Beye have cost, given that they all walked away for nowt, too.

Don't get me wrong, Lerner didn't choose those players, but Lerner also didn't put anyone in at the club to make sure this sort of wastage didn't happen. When he finally did stick a Chief Executive in and give him this job, it turned out to be someone who had previously run a call centre for MBNA and who knew nothing about the game.

Being a good chairman isn't only about putting money in, it is about running the club well, and on that front, he's made a catalogue of costly errors that have left us where we are today.

Really poor.
Appointing a person to effectivley vet potential signings is not ideal, these "Director of football" types almost inevitably lead to friction within clubs, just look at Spurs and Liverpool, theres nothing wrong with a chairman having faith in his managers choices, although, given. that began to backfire badly under MON, the opposite of all this is an Abramovitch type who seems to pressure managers into signing players he likes - often with disasterous results.

That's not actually what I meant.

I meant someone who, from the business side of things, would ensure that the squad was managed as an asset. Spurs is a very good example. It's not so much any DoF they've had in the past that makes sure they never get stiffed on players, it is Daniel Levy.

Spurs do brilliantly in their transfer dealings, they always seem to get top dollar when they sell players, and handle stuff like loaning out young players to get experience very well, too.

That is something that has persisted across managers there.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #797 on: March 16, 2013, 10:00:12 AM »
Grauniad

Aston Villa's Paul Lambert says owner Randy Lerner deserves credit

• Villa manager feels American receives 'unfair criticism'
• Scot wants to stay at club even if they were relegated

Stuart James   
The Guardian, Friday 15 March 2013 22.30 GMT

Paul Lambert has robustly defended Randy Lerner ahead of Saturday's critical relegation battle against Queens Park Rangers, with the Aston Villa manager claiming that the much-criticised American owner has "done one hell of a lot for this club".

The Villa manager also praised Lerner for being "straight and honest" with him during a season when three of the other bottom-five clubs have sacked their manager. The most recent of those dismissals came on Monday, when Reading terminated Brian McDermott's contract following the 2-1 defeat against Villa. Lambert felt it was a hugely unfair decision and, highlighting the sacking of Nigel Adkins at Southampton a couple of months earlier, criticised a culture where managers lose their job depending on whether their face fits.

Lambert's own position could hardly be more secure, despite the fact that Villa remain only one place above the bottom three. Having met with Lerner on Thursday, Lambert spoke about the strength of his relationship with the Villa owner, who has been criticised in some quarters for not spending more money in January and also for rarely turning up to see matches.

Asked whether he had feared for his position, Lambert replied: "I don't think you worry about it. I've been in the game long enough to know what happens. But I also know that, going by certain things, you don't always have to win games to [avoid] getting the sack. If your face doesn't fit now and people don't like you...

"But I've got a really good relationship with the chairman here. He's always been straight and honest. He's been very good with me. I think Randy gets unfair criticism, I really do, for someone who has done one hell of a lot for this club. He's a good guy."

The former Norwich manager wants to carry on in charge even if Villa are relegated. "I hope [I can continue]. It's a brilliant club. I love being here. But that will be for other people to decide," he said.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #798 on: March 16, 2013, 10:02:32 AM »
I agree with Lambert, 'Randy' has done a hell of a lot at the club.

I hope the medical staff at Bodymoor Heath manage to get Lambert's tongue out of his arse in time for today's game.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #799 on: March 16, 2013, 10:05:02 AM »
Fuckin ell Fletch, that was quick.

Offline eastie

« Reply #800 on: March 16, 2013, 10:06:48 AM »
The former Norwich manager wants to carry on in charge even if Villa are relegated. "I hope [I can continue]. It's a brilliant club. I love being here. But that will be for other people to decide," he said.

I thought he was saying a few weeks ago  he  had been told his job was safe even if relegated ,seems from yesterday's quotes that is by no means guaranteed.

Lets hope for a storming end to the season starting today.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #801 on: March 16, 2013, 10:06:59 AM »
I agree with Lambert, 'Randy' has done a hell of a lot at the club.

I hope the medical staff at Bodymoor Heath manage to get Lambert's tongue out of his arse in time for today's game.

To be fair, it would take Clough-esque arrogance for Lambert to come out and say Randy put a lot of money in but fucked up by appointing a couple of shit managers before he came to me.

Once you take that failing away there isn't really much you can criticise Randy for.

« Reply #802 on: March 16, 2013, 10:08:10 AM »

Uncanny.
Exactly what my Wife said last night.

« Reply #803 on: March 16, 2013, 10:09:40 AM »

I thought he was saying a few weeks ago  he  had been told his job was safe even if relegated ,seems from yesterday's quotes that is by no means guaranteed.

Lets hope for a storming end to the season starting today.

My ideal scenario is:-

He keeps us in the division, hence he get's another crack at it WITH decent funding from 'Randy.'

Offline Dribbler

« Reply #804 on: March 16, 2013, 10:14:24 AM »
lets hope he boards the titantic 2 for his return journey

Isn't he already the captain of a sinking ship?

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #805 on: March 16, 2013, 10:17:57 AM »

Uncanny.
Exactly what my Wife said last night.

It's a cracker!

Singalonga little Paul Simonand dig the mellow groove:

Slow down, you movin' too fast
You gotta make the MORNING last
Just kickin' down the cobblestones
Lookin' for fun and
Feelin' groovy_

« Reply #806 on: March 16, 2013, 10:25:43 AM »
I love Paul Simon, he's Jewish mind, so i'm not too happy about his involvement in Lord Ahmed's dangerous driving charge.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #807 on: March 16, 2013, 12:34:25 PM »
Randy hasn't had anything like the levels of vitriol Ellis received.   As for the face fitting comment, what / who is he referencing? Off thing to say. 

Offline supertom

« Reply #808 on: March 16, 2013, 12:49:37 PM »
Randy hasn't had anything like the levels of vitriol Ellis received.   As for the face fitting comment, what / who is he referencing? Off thing to say. 
He's saying McDermott and Adkins weren't pretty enough.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal