collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Midfield  (Read 16711 times)

Offline N'ZMAV

Re: The Midfield
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 08:00:05 PM »
How about we try Clark in there and stick Dunne and Vlaar at the back. Maybe Herd in the middle with Clark. Then that should make us a little more solid in front of the back 4. As they're both pretty shit in the back 4 lately.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 08:39:18 PM »

what's a midfield ?. i've forgotten

Offline eastie

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 08:40:38 PM »
Westwood is the best midfielder we have by a distance ., big mistake leaving him on the bench.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2012, 08:44:10 PM »
Bannan and Westwood are good I think, particularly as a pair. The rest really are inadequate, and those two need another player with them.

They are essentially the same though Monty and that is one of the problems.  They are both decent on the ball and in possession (though Bannan gives the ball away more than Westwood), but neither are a real physical presence, neither offer any bite, neither offer any drive to run with the ball and neither chip in with goals.  What we really need is one of them to play alongside a player who has a few of the qualities mentioned above. 

In lieu of anyone else coming in, I wouldn't mind seeing Bannan given an opportunity in the more advanced midfield role.

I agree entirely. They are the same player when played deeply. However, of the two I think Westwood is best suited to that role - he makes more interceptions, tackles better and always retains the ball when in trouble. Bannan's less consistent but more imaginative, which to me suggests he should play further forward.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2012, 08:44:33 PM »
Westwood is the best midfielder we have by a distance ., big mistake leaving him on the bench.

Except he's been very poor in the last few games and certainly looks as if the pace of the game has caught up with him. Needed a rest IMHO

But it says a lot that a kid from Crewe is now considered our best midfielder. Oh for the likes of Barry, Milner, Young, Downing and Petrov now (or just the tons of money we sold them for to spend on replacements. About 68m wasn't it ?

Offline Karlos96

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2012, 08:45:43 PM »
The midfield is appalling it is so lightweight the only one I really like is Westwood, it's got to be the worst midfield in the Premiership at the moment.  We need at least two established midfielders in January.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2012, 08:50:11 PM »
Benteke has gone from Drogba to Fashanu in a fortnight.

Good point.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2012, 08:58:15 PM »
Holman is a real shit sandwich.
Bannan simply not good enough for the Premier.
Ireland lazy and increasingly disinterested
KEA Fucking rubbish
Delph Shite

Only Westwood shows potential.

Talk about a rebuilding job.

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2012, 08:58:55 PM »
How about we try Clark in there and stick Dunne and Vlaar at the back. Maybe Herd in the middle with Clark. Then that should make us a little more solid in front of the back 4. As they're both pretty shit in the back 4 lately.

A) Vlarr is injured. B) Dunne is injured and has been since July. C) Herd is a pile of steaming shite. D) We seem to persist on playing a back 5 rather than 4. In conclusion, it renders your original post pointless.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2012, 09:19:33 PM »
Off all of the midfield only Westwood looks up to it to me. I think a massive factor in our decline is the midfield.

Offline steffo

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2012, 10:01:52 PM »
Martinez sets up his side exactly as we did. The only exception is that his wing backs were of a more attacking disposition. We actually had a 5-5 formation. Not one of our midfield players could tackle. Their central two were in complete control. Holman is a TSM signing - a very poor man's Frank Carrodus

The sad fact in today's modern football is that time will not wait for you to build an empire (Man City). Where we had Carew, Milner, Barry, Townsend, Staunton, McGrath, Mellberg, Laursen, Petrov. to name a few - they were all in their pomp playing for their countries in their prime. Today - we have a young Bentete and squad player Valar representing their country. Bannan is playing for Scotland who just about give Iceland a game. 

We have reached the rubicon. We need some international class players to survive.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2012, 11:26:22 PM »
Holman is a real shit sandwich.
Bannan simply not good enough for the Premier.
Ireland lazy and increasingly disinterested
KEA Fucking rubbish
Delph Shite

Only Westwood shows potential.

Talk about a rebuilding job.

This, although Ireland doesn't look 'increasingly disinterested' he just looks as disinterested as he always has.  Oh and he's not anywhere near as good as he/we think he is.

Holman hasn't surprised me as i never thought he was up to much when playing for Australia - a classic TSM player if ever there was one.  Bannan is too lightweight and it's really telling now, could do a job in a bulked up midfield though.

KEA and Delph are just not good enough.

Westwood looks the stand out but that bar is very low right now.

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2012, 11:38:30 PM »
There was a major flaw with our midfield today. When Wigan's back 3 central defenders had the ball they carried it out of defence on a regular basis, committing one of Ireland or Holman from our midfield, thus when they went to close them down they moved the ball on making our midfield completely outnumbered - that is  why they retained the ball for 60% of the time. We couldn't do the same as we had the Scottish Xavi sat 5 yards in front of our back three. This prevented them from carrying the ball into the space ahead. I also thought Lichaj and Lowton should have switched positions as Lichaj's positional play was dreadful, particularly going forwards.
If Lambert is going to persist with the 3 centre backs then the midfield needs some serious work. My choice would be to to 4-2-3-1 for the next couple of games, if only to try and sure things up further.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 11:45:38 PM by PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt »

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2012, 11:41:37 PM »
As i have been saying alll season, Lamberts biggest mistake was thinking this midfield was fit for purpose. It is the main reason we are in this mess.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2012, 11:43:46 PM »
I think it is well established by now that the number one concern is that our midfield is so weak that any team resembling Premiership quality can easily create opportunities (and score goals) against us. If we manage to fix that in January I'll be quite confident that we won't be relegated.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal