collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 03:18:52 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Midfield  (Read 16643 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
The Midfield
« on: December 29, 2012, 06:44:58 PM »
For me the midfield has three core duties.

1) Protect the back four
2) When not in possession, compete for the ball
3) Create chances for your forwards

The midfield we saw today could not do any of those. In fact I strongly believe it is the weakest and poorest midfield I have ever seen, at any level. Lambert is grossly incompetent, to pick such a light-weight and ineffectual midfield.

That midfield is the reason we are going to be relegated. I wouldn't trust that midfield to survive in Championship.

Holman, Bannan, KEA and Albrighton are all Championship, at best, standard midfielders. Herd is equally inept although incidentally if Lambert had put him in the midfield then we may have had a chance of winnong the ball back. Stephen Ireland is not a player I would wish on Small Heath. N'Zogbia has zero end product.

I would honestly sell/sack/giveaway the lot. Only Westwood has the promise of being a Premierahip footballer.

When you think of who we've lost, Stan, Milner, Young, Downing and Barry and not replaced, it is of no surprise we've plummeted.

The absence of any physical presence, quality and flair is stark and it has signalled the end of Aston Villa as a top flight side.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Re: The Midfield
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 06:49:49 PM »
Lambert made his biggest mistake of the season with the side today. The midfield before the game looked awful, but in reality it was even worse.

Online N'ZMAV

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 06:50:35 PM »
We missed out on N'Zonzi in the summer. He could have offered some legs and some steel in front of the back 4.
Ireland is a luxery player that isn't performing. He might be a good player in a good side. But, this sort of situation is not suited for a player like him.
Westwood has promise.
The rest are pretty average and lightweight.

Offline appyarryampton

• GM : 24.01.2016
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 07:20:26 PM »
For me the midfield has three core duties.

1) Protect the back four
2) When not in possession, compete for the ball
3) Create chances for your forwards

The midfield we saw today could not do any of those. In fact I strongly believe it is the weakest and poorest midfield I have ever seen, at any level. Lambert is grossly incompetent, to pick such a light-weight and ineffectual midfield.

That midfield is the reason we are going to be relegated. I wouldn't trust that midfield to survive in Championship.

Holman, Bannan, KEA and Albrighton are all Championship, at best, standard midfielders. Herd is equally inept although incidentally if Lambert had put him in the midfield then we may have had a chance of winnong the ball back. Stephen Ireland is not a player I would wish on Small Heath. N'Zogbia has zero end product.

I would honestly sell/sack/giveaway the lot. Only Westwood has the promise of being a Premierahip footballer.

When you think of who we've lost, Stan, Milner, Young, Downing and Barry and not replaced, it is of no surprise we've plummeted.

The absence of any physical presence, quality and flair is stark and it has signalled the end of Aston Villa as a top flight side.
Totally agree, we have a midfield that would be overrun in the championship never mind the premiership (Westwood excepted)

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 07:22:25 PM »
Bannan and Westwood are good I think, particularly as a pair. The rest really are inadequate, and those two need another player with them.

Offline MarkM

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 07:26:25 PM »
Didn't think we had one?

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 07:28:41 PM »
It's a joke that we never replaced Petrov, our most important midfielder. Bannan is a Championship player, Westwood not PL standard yet. There's so much wrong at the club it's laughable.

Offline exigo

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 07:29:04 PM »
I can only assume Westwood has killed Lambert's cat, or equivalent. The one midfielder who consistently protects the back four, moves into space, passes to a teammate and doesn't look flustered under pressure. It's criminal that he's not being picked when Ireland, KEA and Mr 60 minutes Holman are starting.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 07:30:08 PM »
I've seen elephants in Nepal control a ball better than Holman.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 07:33:34 PM »
Bannan and Westwood are good I think, particularly as a pair. The rest really are inadequate, and those two need another player with them.

They are essentially the same though Monty and that is one of the problems.  They are both decent on the ball and in possession (though Bannan gives the ball away more than Westwood), but neither are a real physical presence, neither offer any bite, neither offer any drive to run with the ball and neither chip in with goals.  What we really need is one of them to play alongside a player who has a few of the qualities mentioned above. 

In lieu of anyone else coming in, I wouldn't mind seeing Bannan given an opportunity in the more advanced midfield role.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 07:35:52 PM »
We basically need 3 Yaya Toure's.

Offline PaulTheVillan

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 07:36:57 PM »
Benteke has gone from Drogba to Fashanu in a fortnight.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 07:38:38 PM »
The midfield has not created more than what? Two chances, none clear cut, in three games.

Offline PaulTheVillan

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 07:39:30 PM »
The midfield has not created more than what? Two chances, none clear cut, in three games.

Bannan had some good stats earlier in the season for good crosses. Can't think of any killer balls etc from anyone.

Offline PaulTheVillan

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 07:40:35 PM »
I wonder if Gary Gardner would have been given a chance yet if he was fit?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal