collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How can Lambert get it right?  (Read 25563 times)

Offline Villafirst

Re: How can Lambert get it right?
« Reply #120 on: December 28, 2012, 08:46:41 AM »
So it seems Randy has to bail out another manager in the January window. Its becoming a theme. He must be wondering when the club is going to stand on its own two feet.

who sold the best players and didn't reinvest in quality players?

Offline eastie

« Reply #121 on: December 28, 2012, 09:00:10 AM »
The type of players we need are Kevin Nolan, Michael Dawson & Darren Gibson. Solid Pro's. Obviously, we're not going to get those 3, but that's the type we need.

Dawson may be available.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #122 on: December 28, 2012, 09:13:30 AM »
QPR might fancy him.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #123 on: December 28, 2012, 09:14:20 AM »
The type of players we need are Kevin Nolan, Michael Dawson & Darren Gibson. Solid Pro's. Obviously, we're not going to get those 3, but that's the type we need.

Dear lord, Darren Gibson, really?

Nolan would be a good shout to add goal from midfield.

Dawson seems to be a bit too injury prone for my liking.

From above:

Parker - spot on, would be a good signing, unfortunately if he leaves I see 'arry going for him and I get the feeling he'd rather stay in London.
Huddlestone - Jenas mkII - no way he'd last until the summer without an injury, too big a risk.
Benayoun - Could be a very good signing on loan for a few months, not sure I'd want him long term though, which rules him out as Chelsea wouldn't recall him to loan him out to someone else.

For the more defensive midfield option I'd be tempted to see if we can get Darren Fletcher on loan.  He's struggling to get games at Man U after being out for nearly a year so they might like him to get some game time and he's a leader on the pitch, 5 months of him alongside Westwood or Bannan would give us extra experience of being successful in the league and would help their progress immensely.

Further forward I think I'd look abroad as I don't think there's enough value in the attacking midfield options we could realistically get.

In defence I think we only need someone if it looks likely that Dunne isn't going to recover.  If Dunne can get fit we have what we need, at left back we need to give Bennett and Stevens a bit more of a chance before we sign a replacement.

Offline supertom

« Reply #124 on: December 28, 2012, 09:33:11 AM »
We need more quality.
We need more experience.

Lambert for me is often tactically naive, which alongside such a young side can result in the kind of tonkings we've experienced this season. A DOF would be good, or a better defensive coach.

We looked potentially good, but just as much, we look potentially disastrous. We could rise. The ship could sink. Or worst case it could sink catastrophically like Leeds Utd.

My head says that we're hedging our bets on there being 3 worse sides than us. Dangerous game.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #125 on: December 28, 2012, 09:44:39 AM »
1.  Sign a player, or two in January
2.  Survive this season
3.  Decide which of our youngsters are good enough
4.  Shed the dead wood.
5.  Buy youngsters

...Repeat.

Spot on.

Online LeeB

« Reply #126 on: December 28, 2012, 09:45:23 AM »
I think a comparison between KEA and Stan is very accurate; when they get a chance to sit as a holding man, breaking up possession and keeping the ball  they are excellent. Stan was under-appreciated for years at Villa and I fear that KEA might suffer the same fate. He's a great footballer and he will come good. Our problems lie elsewhere if you ask me.....

Just checked and nobody asked me. Apologies for the intrusion.

Where do our problems lie?

Online LeeB

« Reply #127 on: December 28, 2012, 09:53:20 AM »
We need more quality.
We need more experience.

Lambert for me is often tactically naive, which alongside such a young side can result in the kind of tonkings we've experienced this season. A DOF would be good, or a better defensive coach.

We looked potentially good, but just as much, we look potentially disastrous. We could rise. The ship could sink. Or worst case it could sink catastrophically like Leeds Utd.

My head says that we're hedging our bets on there being 3 worse sides than us. Dangerous game.

I don't think he is tactically naive.

He might have been outflanked in the last couple of games, but the margins he's working within are much more narrow than his opponents.

I think we're paying the price for being brave, and for trying to go and win games, something we all insisted on after last season.

The flipside is that this approach will turn more of last seasons draws into wins, and we'll have enough to stay up.

I wouldn't be against bringing in an experienced head, but would be very cautious for the reasons outlined by N'Zimidy.

Offline Boz

« Reply #128 on: December 28, 2012, 10:00:07 AM »

Dawson may be available.

Injury prone and will probably want to stay in the Smoke

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #129 on: December 28, 2012, 10:01:33 AM »
As I said in the post match thread I think he was under-prepared for both chelsea and tottenham.  Chelsea by not having any idea how to deal with their attacking midfield if they didn't track back (Rafa called his bluff), and Tottenham for having a great plan to stifle Bale with 5 at the back (Herd got very close to him in the first half) but having nothing setup if we changed to a 4.

Offline Boz

« Reply #130 on: December 28, 2012, 10:05:45 AM »
So it seems Randy has to bail out another manager in the January window. Its becoming a theme. He must be wondering when the club is going to stand on its own two feet.

who sold the best players and didn't reinvest in quality players?

The players sold wanted to go, so there was no choice. No good keeping unhappy players.

Regarding investment, the manager of the day says who he wants and has to convince Lerner, plus the players wanted have to agree to come to B6, something that's not going to be easy in January.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #131 on: December 28, 2012, 11:09:22 AM »
That's why Bent will leave next month. But, we have to reinvest it right. We won't kep getting away with not replacing quality and keeping our head above water. It will catch up with us in the end.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #132 on: December 28, 2012, 11:14:21 AM »
I know we've lowered the wage bill - but in Given, Hutton, Warnock, Dunne, N'Zogbia, Ireland and Bent we have a group of players that are paid top 6 wages and, for a variety of reasons, not contributing at all to the current team.

well half of them when fit wont be played by Lambert and the other we need to get rid , who is  going to have them on their wages?   

Lambert seems to want to do it his way of just playing his young players which is fine If you want to play in the championship but he needs to stop being a little stubborn and get some experience in there quick , when they are actually fit to play.

Offline eastie

« Reply #133 on: December 28, 2012, 11:19:15 AM »

Dawson may be available.

Injury prone and will probably want to stay in the Smoke

Why would he? He went there from forest so no reason he wouldn't leave London .
Dawson is now fit again , when it comes to injury prone it could be said about many players including Vlaar , nzogbia etc but sometimes you have to take a chance on a player .

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #134 on: December 28, 2012, 11:20:02 AM »
I think Parker and lampard who were mentioned are both great pros and far less maintenance than the likes of Ireland and nzogbia who both have reputations for being awkward to say the least.

Lampard would not come here in any case but if if Parker did I think he would set a great example to younger players rather than being a prima Donna.

you really think Villa will pay £100,000 a week to an injury prone footballer ?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal