collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How can Lambert get it right?  (Read 25566 times)

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: How can Lambert get it right?
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2012, 06:05:27 PM »
Convince the fans not to moan groan everything the smallest thing goes wrong.

12 goals conceded in two matches is 'the smallest thing'?

Offline bob

« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2012, 06:32:51 PM »
This post makes little sense.

You say you trust him to get it right but in the same sentence reveal that you really don't as your patience is running out. You say you think he is the best option we have but accuse him of trying to prove a point by leaving certain players out.

I think he is doing well. I think that many of the kids have done well. The other players available to him have not shown that they are capable of doing any better, so he has few options to change things for the better.

We've seen positive signs this season and we have also had some disastrous results. At the halfway stage we are not in the bottom three but there are serious issues that need to be addressed in the January transfer window. Lambert is not stupid, he will know this.

We just have to hope that the Chairman gives him the resources to do something about it.

The post makes sense if you read it properly.

I still trust he'll get it right but I'm not stupid enough to hold that view forever, no matter what happens.  Successive massive hidings on the back of an already poor first half of the season means my patience is wearing thin.  I'm not going to sit here and say everything's rosy just because Lambert is, in my view, currently the best option available to us.

And leaving seasoned Premier League players on the bench while he plays the youth team, when everyone can see we're desperately short of experience doesn't make any logical sense to me - hence why it comes across as though he's trying to prove a point.

Not everyone has your blind 'In Lambert We Trust' mentality.

What were you expecting for the first half of this season?

Who are the seasoned Premier League players sat on the bench that could come in and improve the first team?

Offline N'Zimidy

« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2012, 06:35:58 PM »
In response to the thread title I hope that Lambert does the complete opposite of what some people in this thread have suggested to bring in the motherboard of crap old players like Parker, Lampard, Arshavin or even worse; Yakubu.

All we need is an attacking midfielder, a central midfielder and if the right player is available, a left back. We should definitely keep with the ethos and get in players no older than twenty five and certainly not from the Premier League. I'd much rather finish 16th with our group of young players who will improve rather than a bunch of expensive ageing players finishing 15th.

Offline eastie

« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2012, 06:41:11 PM »
In response to the thread title I hope that Lambert does the complete opposite of what some people in this thread have suggested to bring in the motherboard of crap old players like Parker, Lampard, Arshavin or even worse; Yakubu.

All we need is an attacking midfielder, a central midfielder and if the right player is available, a left back. We should definitely keep with the ethos and get in players no older than twenty five and certainly not from the Premier League. I'd much rather finish 16th with our group of young players who will improve rather than a bunch of expensive ageing players finishing 15th.

If you think Parker and lampard are crap I'd hate to know what you think of our players!

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2012, 06:53:34 PM »

If you think Parker and lampard are crap I'd hate to know what you think of our players!

Michael Carrick is another one who is far too crap for us. Keeps playing killer passes for Man Utd goals but no way he'd be good enough down the Villa...

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2012, 06:56:01 PM »
We'd do well to get Paul Carrick

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2012, 07:05:39 PM »
Who are the seasoned Premier League players sat on the bench that could come in and improve the first team?

Bent, Given, Ireland, NZogbia, Dunne, Hutton and Warnock all have bags of experience at the top level.  No, they're not the most talented players in the world but they're no worse than the players we're putting out there at the moment and the addition of some experience to the first team would probably improve the performances of the young players out there at the same time.

Hutton and Warnock were immediately jettisoned.  Bent, Given and NZogbia haven't really been given a chance by Lambert.  Dunne's obviously been injured and Ireland's been used sparingly.  I'd say the kids have been given much more opportunity than any of the older players.  I'd be quite happy to applaud this approach if we were midtable but as we're flirting with relegation and have suffered the worst defeat in our history followed by a 4-0 thumping at home I think it's fair game to question the manager's decisions.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2012, 07:17:34 PM »
How long would it take to sign him?

Offline bob

« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2012, 07:38:44 PM »

Bent, Given, Ireland, NZogbia, Dunne, Hutton and Warnock all have bags of experience at the top level.  No, they're not the most talented players in the world but they're no worse than the players we're putting out there at the moment and the addition of some experience to the first team would probably improve the performances of the young players out there at the same time.

Hutton and Warnock were immediately jettisoned.  Bent, Given and NZogbia haven't really been given a chance by Lambert.  Dunne's obviously been injured and Ireland's been used sparingly.  I'd say the kids have been given much more opportunity than any of the older players.  I'd be quite happy to applaud this approach if we were midtable but as we're flirting with relegation and have suffered the worst defeat in our history followed by a 4-0 thumping at home I think it's fair game to question the manager's decisions.

Questioning his decisions is fair enough.

I think it's a real stretch of the imagination to look at that list and see who might have helped.

They might have experience, but I would rank Warnock, Hutton, N'Zogbia and Ireland as only marginally better options than getting rid of the physio, loaning Yakubu or getting Petrov to do the team talks. In fact I'd say playing some of them would be more likely to have an overall negative effect on our predicament. .

Offline danlanza

« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2012, 08:02:58 PM »
As long as you were looking back over your shoulder, you mght just stand a chance ;D

Offline john2710

« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2012, 08:10:27 PM »
Firstly, we've spent the last 2 seasons in or around the relegation area & the problems are the same now as they were under the previous managers, only made worse by injuries & the decisions to replace experience with potential. You can't fill a premiership team with cheap inexperienced potential & expect to compete. If Vlar, Gabby, Dunne, N'Zogbia & Bent were available & selected we'd be in a better position, but they are not & we can't cling to the hope they will play for the 2nd half of the season. Take 5 first team players out of any side & they would struggle. I admire Lambert for what he is trying to do & for the most part I've enjoyed the football more than last season but if anything our squad is now considerably weaker than it was 12 months ago.

Watching Lambert last night he looked shellshocked, the wins at Sunderland, Liverpool & Norwich were against the pattern for the season to date, the real Villa has been seen in the games against Reading, Southampton, Chelsea, Spurs, Stoke, Norwich (home) etc...... Toothless & likely to implode when put under pressure. At the moment you couldn't rely on us beating anyone.

I don't think 3 years of cutbacks can be or will be addressed in January, but we have to sign 2 experienced midfielders, centre half, left back, a forward & hope that our experienced players play more games in the 2nd half of the season. Lambert has got his work cut out to find these in January, with the overwhelming priority being the midfield. Otherwise it's going to be a long 2nd half of the season.
UTV

Offline danlanza

« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2012, 08:26:17 PM »
Here lies the problem. Who is going to want to come to us and at what price. Who is out there in January ? Me personally, Robbie Keane is a player i would have like a shot again.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2012, 08:29:44 PM »
As long as you were looking back over your shoulder, you mght just stand a chance ;D

But How Long would we be able to keep him for?

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2012, 08:34:09 PM »

Warnock was jettisoned by Lambert having proven himself not to be up to it under previous managers.

N'Zogbia has also spent a lot of time injured, along with Dunne. Given has lost his place to a player who has done very, very well. We can't play them both.

Bent has not been selected much, and until a few days ago, the entire world was saying Lambert was right to opt for Benteke and Weimann up front instead of using Bent.

As for Hutton - he's a right back, as is Lowton, and it's hard to argue that Lowton has been anything but solid so far this season. He's certainly looked far better than Hutton ever did for us.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, we can not expect to play a team full of kids and do well, we absolutely need experience. I just think the experienced players we have available are not good enough, or have not been available for much of the season.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2012, 08:35:13 PM »
Here lies the problem. Who is going to want to come to us and at what price. Who is out there in January ? Me personally, Robbie Keane is a player i would have like a shot again.

We say that all the time, though, who would come.

People will always come. We said that under Houllier, and then Bent rocked up.

Our advantage in our struggles is that we're Aston Villa. We still manage to attract decent players and decent managers.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal