collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How can Lambert get it right?  (Read 25567 times)

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
Re: How can Lambert get it right?
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2012, 04:20:35 PM »
Add experience to the great potential in critical areas and we'll be fine.  Don't and I think we'll be relegated. 

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2012, 04:22:17 PM »
Hopefully - he must. We have mostly an academy / youth side at the momemt, yes we need our injured players back but also some strong leaders i.e. experienced. There is a lot of youngsters who not only don't have the experience but are also un-proven in terms of quality. It's OK doing it with 1 or 2 at a time, but the whole of team is not good.

But get our players back - and some new ones in Jan, we'll be OK....

Offline bob

« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2012, 04:23:27 PM »
People saying experience will help, have a valid point. Hopefully Dunne, Vlaar, Agbonlahor, Ireland and Given can help with that.

Given, Ireland, Bent and NZogbia have bags of experience but Lambert won't pick them, even when they're fit.  I'm fairly certain that even when Dunne's fit Lambert won't select him either.  Whilst Gabby does get a game when fit, he invariably gets played out of position.  Vlaar's the only one Lambert will play but he's got no experience of the Premier League.

Lambert needs Randy to back him in January. As far as I'm concerned he is still the right man for the job.

He quickly identified the problem players and his bigish signing have impressed.

Whilst I still think Lambert's the best option we have at the moment I'm not sure I buy the 'problem players' argument.  From where I'm sitting Lambert has ostracised all of the experienced and presumably higher paid players in the squad from the moment he arrived - I can't imagine they're all problem players.  He's bought his own players in to replace them but they're either not as good or not enough to replace the ones left out.  The gap has been filled by kids who are also not good enough to carry a Premier League team.

I still trust he'll get it right but my patience is running out.  He looks like a guy with an agenda who's trying to prove a point somehow.  Unfortunately he's not doing it very well and I'm worried he'll end up doing it via a trip to the Championship.

This post makes little sense.

You say you trust him to get it right but in the same sentence reveal that you really don't as your patience is running out. You say you think he is the best option we have but accuse him of trying to prove a point by leaving certain players out.

I think he is doing well. I think that many of the kids have done well. The other players available to him have not shown that they are capable of doing any better, so he has few options to change things for the better.

We've seen positive signs this season and we have also had some disastrous results. At the halfway stage we are not in the bottom three but there are serious issues that need to be addressed in the January transfer window. Lambert is not stupid, he will know this.

We just have to hope that the Chairman gives him the resources to do something about it.

Offline bob

« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2012, 04:29:28 PM »
One experienced central defender signing - Lescott anyone?

Two loan signings - I would go for Arshavin, Yakubu .

Don't sell Bent.

Ask Stan to talk to the team.

Ask Stan to talk to the team? That would be the strong leadership we need from Lambert! Unless you mean as a translator? Could work.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2012, 04:44:42 PM »
Premier League experience needed in the midfield, tough tacklers and leaders.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2012, 04:48:57 PM »
We are badly in need of bringing some players in.  Injuries to key positions in the team are exposing a squad that is limited in strength and experience.

Having Ireland and KEA down the middle and a rapidly tiring Holman, allowed Spurs (and particularly Bale) to walk through us at will.  I was surprised that he took Westwood off, even if not playing his best unless he is trying to protect him and save him for Saturday.  Westwood is the one disciplined player we have in the middle who plays it simple and does not get dragged all over the pitch.

My solution to the lack of experience would be to go out and get two experienced big name midfield players and possibly a central defender on loan until the end of the season.  Pay what it needs to bring them in (and even offer them a big bonus to give them a real incentive).  In addition, if the manager can see one or two more players for the future, buy them but not to make panic buys.  As somebody else already commented, these players do not have to come from the PL.  In this way, our expenditure is limited and it does not alter the long term aim of building a young squad.

I am not sure if there is a limit on the number of loan players a club can take on.  There must be a few players around Europe that are running contracts down that would jump at the chance of putting themselves in the shop window for 5 months.

We need to get the end of the season and move on again.  We need to finish the season on the up so that we have a good platform for next season.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2012, 04:58:26 PM »
I know we've lowered the wage bill - but in Given, Hutton, Warnock, Dunne, N'Zogbia, Ireland and Bent we have a group of players that are paid top 6 wages and, for a variety of reasons, not contributing at all to the current team.

Hopefully we can shift a couple and allow Lambert some room for maneuver regarding transfers. Perhaps even a couple (Dunne and N'Zogbia) can get back into the side and show some form until the Summer. Dunne especially, he needs to show some form to secure his last contract in the Summer.

Online ez

« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2012, 04:59:58 PM »
So it seems Randy has to bail out another manager in the January window. Its becoming a theme. He must be wondering when the club is going to stand on its own two feet.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2012, 05:12:14 PM »
The alternative to strengthen the team is to rely on luck. As we have seen the last to games we lack players who are at least slightly useful even when they're having a bad day. The first priority should be two midfielders who offer at least some protection to the back four. KEA, Delph and Holman are not up to it, and Westwood is too inexperienced to be relied on in what may be a relegation struggle. If we get that one thing right we should have enough in other areas (Bent and Benteke in attack; N'Zogbia, Ireland, Albrighton as creative midfielders; Vlaar, Clarke, Baker, Dunne in defence) to avoid relegation with comfort.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2012, 05:27:53 PM »
We have gone about things totally wrong, it's not Lambert's fault.

The club has been run very poorly, we need a strong chairman that is a football man and can have more of a say in the transfer dealings.
West Brom have improved as a club despite various different mangers, same as Swansea and Spurs. The one common thing with them all, is they all have a strong chairman that knows his stuff and is in control of the club, even with aspects of the transfer dealings.

We now have a big dilemma, because we are back too square one, where we need quality and experience as a matter of urgency, but the only way we are going to get this is by paying the wages, which is the route cause to most of our problems as a club.

We either need a fully fit and fully committed Richard Dunne back and playing alongside Vlaar along with a few experienced additions in January or we need a Micheal Dawson or someone similar. Only problem is, the only way we will get those type to come is by paying the big wages.

I have faith in Lambert, but the club are playing a very risky game, which if it comes off (we stay up this year and get rid off all remaining high earners) then we are laughing, because Lambert will basically have a blank canvass, that won't be a struggling team, but a very young and talented squad that have premier league experience. He will then be able to buy quality and pay the wages to top quality players where needed.

But we gotta stay up first Mr Lerner and Mr Faulkner

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2012, 05:42:43 PM »
Convince the fans not to moan groan everything the smallest thing goes wrong.

Not to buy old players for the sake of it - it'd knock the yonger players for six.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2012, 05:44:05 PM »
Also, the players currently injured would be a big help. Gabby, Bent & Vlar would get in every team outside top 5.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2012, 05:44:09 PM »

Not to buy old players for the sake of it - it'd knock the yonger players for six.

It's not for the sake of it, it's required. They of course need to fit in with the squad, but it is definitely needed.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2012, 05:53:21 PM »
This post makes little sense.

You say you trust him to get it right but in the same sentence reveal that you really don't as your patience is running out. You say you think he is the best option we have but accuse him of trying to prove a point by leaving certain players out.

I think he is doing well. I think that many of the kids have done well. The other players available to him have not shown that they are capable of doing any better, so he has few options to change things for the better.

We've seen positive signs this season and we have also had some disastrous results. At the halfway stage we are not in the bottom three but there are serious issues that need to be addressed in the January transfer window. Lambert is not stupid, he will know this.

We just have to hope that the Chairman gives him the resources to do something about it.

The post makes sense if you read it properly.

I still trust he'll get it right but I'm not stupid enough to hold that view forever, no matter what happens.  Successive massive hidings on the back of an already poor first half of the season means my patience is wearing thin.  I'm not going to sit here and say everything's rosy just because Lambert is, in my view, currently the best option available to us.

And leaving seasoned Premier League players on the bench while he plays the youth team, when everyone can see we're desperately short of experience doesn't make any logical sense to me - hence why it comes across as though he's trying to prove a point.

Not everyone has your blind 'In Lambert We Trust' mentality.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 06:06:16 PM by Ad@m »

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2012, 06:03:51 PM »

There has been hardly any moaning and groaning, despite our worst start since biblical times, and despite getting pumped 8 and then 4 nil.

In fact, the fans seem behind him to a massive degree, which is heartening to see.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal