collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Christmas Press-ents  (Read 8810 times)

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
Re: Christmas Press-ents
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2012, 05:50:49 PM »
What we lacked yesterday besides experience was leadership- Clark as captain is not the answer .

Apparently Clark was nicknamed "skip" whilst in the academy as the other players thought he was destined to be a captain.  Not doubting it may have come earlier than expected/wanted but from everything I have read Clark has excellent Leadership skills.

Offline eastie

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2012, 06:05:33 PM »
What we lacked yesterday besides experience was leadership- Clark as captain is not the answer .

Apparently Clark was nicknamed "skip" whilst in the academy as the other players thought he was destined to be a captain.  Not doubting it may have come earlier than expected/wanted but from everything I have read Clark has excellent Leadership skills.

I think he will be captain and a good one at that in time but he is still learning his trade in the premiership and I don't think he is ready for the extra responsibility yet, I suppose the problem with vlaars  absence is that there is hardly anyone who commands a regular place with any real experience to be a captain.

We need to add some experience in the transfer window particularly in midfield.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2012, 02:27:39 PM »
The "perfect storm" theory in the third para is about right I think.
I disagree with the implication that yesterday's drubbing was somehow inevitable and unavoidable.  What it demonstrated is that the gap between our worst and Chelsea's best is huge.  That Chelsea can be excellent comes as no surprise but I have to admit I was alarmed at just how bad we were.

As others said on the post-match thread, accepting that a young team will fluctuate in performance is one thing but losing 8-0 to anyone is, or should be, inexcusable.  And that includes the frankly ludicrous "You can blame the referee" line.

I don't think saying it was a "perfect storm" is implying it was inevitable or unavoidable at all.  It's just that a number of factors combined simultaneously that are hopefully unlikely to do so again, at least to that extreme.   For instance, on another day we could have been equally as bad and Chelsea may not have all played out of their skins when one might have expected them to be a little jaded.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2012, 04:32:09 PM »
I disagree with the implication that yesterday's drubbing was somehow inevitable and unavoidable.  What it demonstrated is that the gap between our worst and Chelsea's best is huge.  That Chelsea can be excellent comes as no surprise but I have to admit I was alarmed at just how bad we were.

As others said on the post-match thread, accepting that a young team will fluctuate in performance is one thing but losing 8-0 to anyone is, or should be, inexcusable.  And that includes the frankly ludicrous "You can blame the referee" line.

I don't think saying it was a "perfect storm" is implying it was inevitable or unavoidable at all.  It's just that a number of factors combined simultaneously that are hopefully unlikely to do so again, at least to that extreme.   For instance, on another day we could have been equally as bad and Chelsea may not have all played out of their skins when one might have expected them to be a little jaded.

It's not the first time we've been that bad this season though, the scoreline might have been similar against Everton and Man City had they both been as ruthless as Chelsea.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2012, 08:18:13 PM »
Equally we would have beaten Newcastle and Arsenal if we'd have been a bit more ruthless.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2012, 08:51:41 PM »
The well-reasoned and rational comment underneath the piece certainly showed me up.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2012, 09:31:10 AM »
I am just hoping Dunne has not overdone the turkey  and christmas pudding because we could do with him short term. Maybe up front looking at the strike force injuries .

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2012, 09:42:16 AM »
The well-reasoned and rational comment underneath the piece certainly showed me up.

I thought it was spot on you know.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2012, 04:25:43 PM »

It's not the first time we've been that bad this season though, the scoreline might have been similar against Everton and Man City had they both been as ruthless as Chelsea.

I don't disagree, but I'd have said that the fact that Chelsea were on fire, as well as the other factors, is what made that match the perfect storm and not the others.

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2012, 04:30:39 PM »
That's the forward to your next book sorted.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal