collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Who's left on big money?  (Read 12675 times)

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: Who's left on big money?
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2012, 12:19:26 PM »
Surely Makoun's wages are being paid by the club that's loaned him??
It depends. They'll certainly be covering something but I wouldn't expect it'll be all of it.

In the same way as Doncaster weren't paying all of Habib Beye's wages and I don't think Brighton will be paying Wayne Bridge £90,000 per week.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 12:23:04 PM by Dave »

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2012, 12:21:13 PM »
I also think Gabby might go, We've looked better without him in the team
I agree.

Offline Surrey Villain

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2012, 01:01:35 PM »
Warnock is on loan at Bolton and apparently they want to keep him when the loan expires this month.  Let's hope we can negotiate a permanent transfer rather than an extended loan although that would be better than having him back as we have three decent left backs now. Funny that couldn't have been said last season even though two of them were already here.

Offline pedro25

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2012, 01:16:25 PM »
Keep:-

Keepers: Guzan Siegrist
Defenders: Vlaar, Lowton, Clark, Baker, Herd, Lichaj, Stevens, Bennett, Williams
Midfielders: Holman, Bannan, Westwood, El Ahmadi, Delph, Gardner, Carruthers, Johnson
Forwards: Benteke, Weimann, Bowery, Burke

Sell/release:-

Keepers: Given, Marshall
Defenders: Dunne, Warnock, Hutton
Midfielders: Albrighton, N'Zogbia, Ireland, Petrov, Makoun
Forwards: Bent, Agbonlahor, Delfouneso

Sign:-

2 midfielders (1 wide, 1 central) 1 forward, maybe 1 defender and 1 keeper also, but not essential.

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2012, 01:19:37 PM »
Pedro25, did you include Stan's name in the sell/release list by mistake?
I hope so.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2012, 01:36:31 PM »
Stan should probably be in a 'offer a non-playing role' list all by himself.  The guy is a fantastic person to have around the club and we should do everything we can to keep him involved and around the squad but it would be a super human effort for him to get back to playing at premier league standard after his illness, particularly given his age (which isn't far from retirement age for a footballer anyway).  It might happen that he gets back to full fitness and returns to the squad but we shouldn't plan on ever seeing him play competitively for us again.  He might not even want to come back to playing ( I certainly remember reports from Bulgaria about him saying 'football is over' back around the time the story broke).

Aside from that I agree with Pedro's list, pretty much.

I think I'd keep Gabby around and I'd want a 3rd keeper and another central defender as certainties not maybes as he has listed but the idea is about right.

We do need to be careful we don't become over reliant on the youngsters though as the 'keep' list is a very very young squad.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 01:40:29 PM by paul_e »

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2012, 01:42:13 PM »
Bent aint going until a replacement is lined up.  You need four strikers in this league.

Selling Agbonlahor is crazy talk.  He has been a useful outlet and key player ini our recent run.  Plus he has loyalty.

Dunne, Warnock, Hutton, Ireland Makoun, meh for me.  Anything we make is a bonus

Albrighton needs confidence.  His final ball has eroded almost with each game he has played.  I think a loan out to a good footballing team, Crewe or the like could do him wonders.  There is a good player there, but he needs nuturing

Given, the wages worry me more than the quality.

Delfounso.  I dont see the natural striker in him.  He is full of himself, just watching him on the pitch or warming up over the past four years for us.  And deceptively slow.  I cant make the lad out at all. 

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2012, 02:09:30 PM »
Ireland looks like one that will need solving soon - if we're not going to play him (and for all his ability I'm not sure he's going to fit into this side) he's probably on too large a salary to be back-up. Plus I guess he's got, what, 18 months left on his contract? So if we're going to recover any real money for him now is probably the time. Shame because he's got immense ability.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2012, 03:01:47 PM »
I'd be fine with Ireland going.  He's an 'easy on the eye' player in that everything looks good but there's no end product for us and he's on too much money to be just neat and tidy.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2012, 03:10:27 PM »
I'd be fine with Ireland going.  He's an 'easy on the eye' player in that everything looks good but there's no end product for us and he's on too much money to be just neat and tidy.

Same for me.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2012, 03:18:07 PM »
These threads allways degenerate into the sell him, replace him, hes on whatever grand a week usually without any idea or knowledge.

Apperntly there is a Computer Game called Footballl Manager.

Offline picicata

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2012, 03:30:15 PM »
The problem with Gabby is that he is some what painted into a corner due to the size of his wage compared to what he actually has to offer the team in terms of ability. I personally wouldn't want to see him as a regular starter again as he offers so little in terms of goal threat and creation. He is useful for stretching defences at the end of games and is good at running towards the corner flag to waste some time, but other than that is shot.

If he would take a wage cut to about half of what he is reportedly on now (£50,000pw) then I would keep him. If he is not interested in that then he can go to Sunderland.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2012, 03:33:27 PM »
The problem with Gabby is that he is some what painted into a corner due to the size of his wage compared to what he actually has to offer the team in terms of ability. I personally wouldn't want to see him as a regular starter again as he offers so little in terms of goal threat and creation. He is useful for stretching defences at the end of games and is good at running towards the corner flag to waste some time, but other than that is shot.

If he would take a wage cut to about half of what he is reportedly on now (£50,000pw) then I would keep him. If he is not interested in that then he can go to Sunderland.
This is typical, you have no idea so how can you sugest he takes half of a number that you gave no clue about?

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2012, 04:13:25 PM »

The only problems I can see with that are that the manager appears to rate him and the player doesn't want to leave.

We have one good result and suddenly we don't need a squad, those same 11 players are never going to get tired or inured and will not suffer any dip in form and the manager will not feel the need to use different tactics or formations ever again.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2012, 04:47:07 PM »
I really don't see the need for any big clearout based on wage levels,  assuming they are now at manageable levels.  Our income will also increase significantly next season assuming we stay up.   I can see the point of getting rid of players whom Lambert has made plain he doesn't really want to use - Hutton, Warnock, Makoun, and possibly Delfounso. Maybe even Dunne. But we need a squad, and shipping out players with the ability and experience of Bent. Ireland, N'Zogbia, and Given who have all featured under Lambert, for wage reasons doesn't make much sense.  It really could come back to bite us on the arse when injuries, suspensions, fatigue and loss of form start to bite in the second half of the season. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal